smelly handgrips

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by thxcuz, Jun 3, 2015.

1. thxcuz

thxcuz Member

is it me or do your handgrips give off a smell of what I expect China to smell like? You know, not terribly unpleasant but kinda strong and not something you want to smell all day. Is there a solution to not have the grips smell so Chinese?
    I once got a shortwave radio that smelled like it was in the living room of a 3 pack a day smoker...I wrapped it in dryer sheets and it just ended up smelling like a 3 pack a day smoker at the laundromat. Any tips would be helpful...my hands stink after every ride

2. Slogger

Slogger Member

I know that smell. It kind of reminds me of grease mixed with benzine or something.
    It may be a mold release agent they use over there.
    I tried soaking and scrubbing them in hot dishwater, it helped a little.

P-U

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Santa Cruz Scooter Works

What does it smell like? Fried rice with sweet and sour pork and pot stickers?

4. thxcuz

thxcuz Member

I wish...it smells kinda like re-stocking day at Harbor Freight

5. woogie_man

woogie_man New Member

I noticed that on mine when I was running it. After a while I think the motor burned it off.

6. Trey

Trey $50 Cruiser

Slather them liberally with bearing grease. That should take care of the smell.

I kid, I kid.

I know what you're talking about. Who knows what they use in their rubber compounds. I do rub those type parts down with hydrogen peroxide (worried rubbing alcohol would damage them) but I can't honestly report a definite change.
    Let us know if you find a solution tho.

7. dtv5403

dtv5403 New Member

Use different grips. I'm using bicycle grips with the soft rubber ridges, took a bit of hard shoving to get the grip on the throttle, but it's on there.

8. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL, now that's funny!!!!

My wife just bought a padded knee rest for working in the garden. When she took it out of the bag it had the same smell as new kit handgrips. I don't know what the odor is either but it must have something to do with the vinyl or plastics used. The smell does eventually go away but it takes a while.
    Tom

9. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

can't help - never been inclined to sniff a handgrip

10. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

Might be some compound of formaldehyde to help speed the curing process of the rubber/vinyl/latex/plastic/unthinkable concoction they use to make the grips.

Didn't you read the warning on the end of the grips...."No smell"? Well, I guess that could cause some confusion.....

(I also enjoyed the Harbor Freight reference! Hadn't really thought about it before, but it's spot on.)

11. dtv5403

dtv5403 New Member

How exactly does the motor burn the smell off the HAND grips, which go on the HANDLEbars, and are nowhere near the engine?

12. LandSpeedRecord

Motocross grips work well and account for the throttle tube and seem to have a smell but it's different.

13. Powertool

Powertool Member

Wear gloves when riding , it's a great safety thing also...

wear a helmet , and gloves always , in the event of a spill.....

14. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

It's the harbor freight smell... luckily it goes away after it airs out for a few months...
    I think they do it so you get a whiff as soon as you open up the package then you suddenly get this urge to run over to harbor freight and buy more Chinese stuff...