Sizing again help

GoldenMotor.com

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
So it looks like Im going to get the engine in ....almost.

What do you think? And more important what the heck do I do?

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Sorry about that. Is this better?

It doesn't fit in all the way in the triangle. It sticks out about an inch. See how the elbow there rests on the tube? Will that be a problem? I can reinforce it if I have to.

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
How much does it cost about to have a rear one? Since Im short theres really no mens bike that will have a triangle wide enough for me. Can I use this engine though?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
How much does it cost about to have a rear one? Since Im short theres really no mens bike that will have a triangle wide enough for me. Can I use this engine though?
Yes, 2 different choppers. My daughter is about 5' 4", and she rides the chopper my son is on. Both bikes used were $50.00 each. Made the mount on the first photo, bought the mount on the second one.

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
One more question. What does the rear mount look like and where is a good place to get it? Thank you!!!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
One more question. What does the rear mount look like and where is a good place to get it? Thank you!!!
Something like this, but flat bar instead of the "V" tubes. Or you could use the "V" tubes, but it wouldn't look good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-bicycl...315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256dc5a4f3

Think things out first...
1) need long clutch cable..I'm sure you will have to make one
2) need long throttle cable..I'm sure you will have to make one
3) Placement of fuel tank..higher then the carburetor.
4) Mount, either make one or but from a vendor.
5) Making a rack to mount it....
6) You would have to mount the bicycle as if it's a girls bike.
7) Exhaust close to your back. (not fun)
8) Won't cool properly. Needs flow through wind.
Just a few off the top of my head...I'm sure that there is more.

Personally, I wouldn't do it for myself, nor for anyone else for that matter. It can be done but, I'd buy a different engine.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

installed should look like this

For the carb to work right it has to be as level as possible or the float inside will not work right and the motor will flood from to much gas

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

installed should look like this

For the carb to work right it has to be as level as possible or the float inside will not work right and the motor will flood from to much gas
Yes a engine installed should look like something that what you have...But how in the world do you think this engine is coming anywhere close to fit. This engine won't fit into the stock frame, I don't care how you try to fit it. There is just NOT enough room. Please don't give this member hope that it will fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well, we didn't ask...

S, do you have someone available who could make mods to your frame?
Or are you willing to search for someone to hire for the task?

Many of us make significant mods to bicycle frames and it is a good option.

Best
rc

...Seems to me that 'cramped' is very close to a fit. a few blows with an 8lb hand sledge on the top tube, some work on the mounts, and an angled/rubber intake manifold and S has a tight little package! Or did I miss something... :)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Since Im short theres really no mens bike that will have a triangle wide enough for me. Can I use this engine though?
Sure there is, the Macargi Touch for ~$170.

Or get yourself a Z carb intake, it moves the carb outside the seat post, but I concur with everyone else in saying get a different bike, even if you do get that motor to fit in with a Z it's going to be an angry bear to work on.

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Ok NEW bike!!! I had to go into my savings. :( But its worth it. Its a step thru but Im not planning on putting a regular gas tank. Maybe I should call it a cup of gas LOL (Pun attended) A 17 inch frame diamond back Vital2 with pretty flowers and all. The bike shop I go to is wonderful. He knows all about gas engines. Wondered where I would put the gas tank.

I love this bike!!! Thanks for all your help. I had to think about what I wanted and a rear one would not work out for me.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here are a couple gas tank options I tried.

I had Coyote Tanks make it for $100.

Another option is just a back rack and mount the stock tank like this.

There is also another outfit that makes a less expensive black seat mount tank and there is also the under-rack tank but I'd stay away from that one, my friend has one and it's always a problem be it fuel flow or the fact that he has to carry channel locks to get the gas cap off ;-}

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ok NEW bike!!! I had to go into my savings. :( But its worth it. Its a step thru but Im not planning on putting a regular gas tank. Maybe I should call it a cup of gas LOL (Pun attended) A 17 inch frame diamond back Vital2 with pretty flowers and all. The bike shop I go to is wonderful. He knows all about gas engines. Wondered where I would put the gas tank.

I love this bike!!! Thanks for all your help. I had to think about what I wanted and a rear one would not work out for me.
Looks like a good choice. Have fun building it. I like that frame.
http://www.diamondback.com/2012-vital-2

Looking at a picture of the bike, I have a couple of concerns. 1) is there enough room between the tubes to mount the front mount? 2) it appears that the frame is 50 degree "V", and will need at least a front mount shim, or a custom front mount. Ideal "V" is 75 degrees. Just throwing my thoughts out there.

Attachments

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
One question. Its a wee bit tilted. Still a lot better than before. Is that OK? What it looks like in the picture can it stay like that or should I bolster it somehow? BTW I will have to use those U clamps because of the the front tube is wide or I can get longer studs. But the wheel is ready. At least something is ready!!!!!! ;)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
One question. Its a wee bit tilted. Still a lot better than before. Is that OK? What it looks like in the picture can it stay like that or should I bolster it somehow? BTW I will have to use those U clamps because of the the front tube is wide or I can get longer studs. But the wheel is ready. At least something is ready!!!!!! ;)
Tilted somewhat won't effect the running of the engine, although if excessive (looks pretty good in the picture) you might need to adjust the carburetor float. Make sure the rear mount is mounted to the tube squarely, and has NO gaps, then figure what you will need for the front mount.

Last edited: