Silver State Cycles = Scam!

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Today marks two years since I shipped my Honda XR80 motor and exhaust off to Scott at Silver State Cycles in Las Vegas.

At the time, I was excited to be building a high quality, custom board track racer equipped with a MT Honda XR80 motor and high quality custom wheel set. The plan was to have Scott build a quality board track racer frame with custom mounts for the XR80 motor. While I initially planned to stick with a carburetor, the project soon ballooned to include an EFI kit from Ecotrons, heavy gauge wheels, sophisticated electrical system, some Harley parts, and period-style touches like a Ford brake light.

My goal was for Scott to build the frame while I assembled the wheels and accumulated important electrical components. While the wheels took longer than expected (a few weeks), I had soon completed all of the tasks on my side. The $400+ Ecotrons EFI kit, misc parts, and fully-built wheels were sitting in my room ready for installation. During this time, I had been receiving fairly constant updates from Scott. It seemed he was progressing diligently with my frame. A couple months passed with no word from Scott, even though I called, texted, and emailed him continuously. When I couldn't reach him, I worked with a member of the forum to check in. My frame was apparently waiting in his shop to be finished.

When I finally heard back from Scott, he explained that his regular business had mistakenly completed and shipped a large order without receiving payment. He suggested that he was forced to temporarily lay off employees and personally work around the clock to improve cash flow. I could understand this as a cause for delay as I work for a small business.

Shortly after, Scott claimed to be working on the frame again. When he requested a few more parts for test-mounting and fitment work, I happily obliged and shipped them out. Unfortunately, Scott soon stopped responding to my texts, emails, and calls again. Every so often, I would call, text, or email but get no response. Given the price of a plane flight, it's hard to justify flying out from Texas just to pound on his door.

Unless Scott is dead or in jail, I am declaring him a scam artist. In the time I have spent waiting, I have lost much of the passion I used to have for motorbiking. If you are reading this Scott, just send me back my motor and parts and I will not pursue legal action.

Don't get me wrong, it would be incredible to finally assemble my bike. I just can't imagine that ever happening at this point, especially when dealing with people like Scott.

Here is where it all started: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=54822

Pictures of the motor I shipped to Scott, shipping receipt, and lonely parts still waiting for a frame:

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Wow buddy you seem to have gotten the bone here! I wish there was something I could do to help, but all I can tell you, is that you've much more patience than I.

Without pursuing the linked post too far, I'd say you've got a case here, but I'm no lawyer. My advice is to speak with one. While I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, two years is far beyond excessive for a motorbike.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Yup. Scott up and dissapeared like a fart in the wind. Tried and tried to buy a second saddle from him. Felt like I was trying to throw my money at him. I really liked the first one I bought. I finally gave up and did the right thing. Gave my buisness to Sportscarpat and now have the bestest BTR saddle ever. Sorry you got hosed so bad.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Goodness Gracious, Kioshk!!!!

You should warn people when posting a photo like that. It made me take a step or two backward, I can tell ya'

But......back to the point...........

Sorry to hear that you got screwed techbiker.

Normally when I see a thread title with something like, "Such-and-such Motors are thieves!", I don't feel too terribly persuaded.

The reason is that these rants have, until now, always been incoherent, wild charges. And it's not at all clear just who is being unreasonable. More often than not, I suspect, the poster made the wrong order and demanded that the vendor eat it, then threw a fit when the vendor refused.

But your post was nothing like that. You made a solid case. I might have wanted to hear Scott's side of the story if it weren't for that malarkey about the large order that went out unpaid for. Pretty unlikely. Add to it the fact that his customer probably would have simply written a check when this was brought to his attention, and I don't need to hear any more.

Scott might have meant well at first. But he dropped the ball pretty badly and I wouldn't trust him anywhere out of my sight.

Beautiful engine, by the way. That looks as though it would fit a bike just like a happy time engine. Am I right about that?

Can you tell me more about it?

Though that might not be necessary. I'm about to read the thread that you linked to.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well, I'm sorry you got screwed hard, but I'm also not a bit surprised considering who recommended him to you in the first place.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Thanks for the helpful/supportive comments! I've learned that patience isn't always the best thing if you're dealing with a shyster. It seemed like Scott had only good reviews when I looked back in 2014.

While I believe I have a solid case, I would much rather Scott just return my parts (mainly the engine, exhaust and a wheel hub) or reimburse me their value. A small claims case would take much more time, but might be necessary. I will have to start looking for cheap plane tickets.

If you know Scott or someone who knows him, please let them know that I would just like my parts returned.

If I can get the parts back, at least I can pick up and start looking for another frame fabricator.

Thanks Bluegoat. Even though I never heard it run, I've read amazing things about the XR80 motor. Close-ratio manual 5 speed gearbox, overhead cam, smooth power, kick-start, durable wet clutch. It's a bit taller than a HT (and much wider) but so reliable. I picked this motor partially because it's pretty light, should fit in a reasonably-sized frame and not look out of place.

This is something like the final look I was aiming for (not necessarily Indian though) with this bike/motor:

Wret's board track racer!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Toro1978

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
It's not about who referred the op to Scott. At that time Scott was doing nothing but good for our hobby. Then he messed up his hand so seat production halted. If you need a stock frame and tank he had a ton. He got into problems with custome work. I know also I had a bike of his I've since sold. I recurred Racie to him for some custom tube bending. Scott excepted and Racie was happy. Then it started just like op no contact on Scotts end. Then contact from Scott needing something to finish I think a sketch or angle of bend.? Then bye bye baby bye bye .....Scott was gone and So were Racie plans. All he had to do was say no to custom work or call people back and say I can't finish. He is not a guy that takes your money. Maybe a few dreams or hopes.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
After reading through your linked post, I can see you have a lot of time and money wrapped up in that bike already, and it's nowhere near done.

I wouldn't worry about plane tickets just yet. As I'm sure you've called and warned him about possible legal action, I would follow through. Consult a lawyer or paralegal, take all of your relevant paperwork along, including shipping receipts and the link to your old thread as supporting evidence. Most consultations are free, or quite cheap, and they'll tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt if you have a case, how to proceed, and if you do in fact need a plane ticket.

If Scott has a business licence, a call to the BBB to report this incident may also be in order, you wouldn't stand for this from an auto shop, don't let it pass here. After two years, you surely are not being hasty, and I believe this course of action to be more than within your rights as a customer and individual.

Our hobby/lifestyle/obsession needs bad business practices, like it needs more legislation and bad publicity.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the helpful/supportive comments! I've learned that patience isn't always the best thing if you're dealing with a shyster. It seemed like Scott had only good reviews when I looked back in 2014.

While I believe I have a solid case, I would much rather Scott just return my parts (mainly the engine, exhaust and a wheel hub) or reimburse me their value. A small claims case would take much more time, but might be necessary. I will have to start looking for cheap plane tickets.

If you know Scott or someone who knows him, please let them know that I would just like my parts returned.

If I can get the parts back, at least I can pick up and start looking for another frame fabricator.
I met Scott at several Socal Motor Bicycle Racing events at
Grange Motor Circuit and one at Willow Springs Speedway
several years ago.

Scott is not a scammer or shyster, I am sure that you will get your
motor and parts back. I doubt if Scott took any money from you and
was fronting all the materials and labor for your custom frame.

Scott is an awesome guy and very generous. He came to the races
with his wife and young kids, one of which raced at Grange.
Scott, unsolicited gave away 3 complete frames and tanks as
prizes at the races, $450? was the bargain price on them at the time.

Nashmoto also won a leather boardtrack seat and his frame came with
customized mounts. Scott also gave away shirts and cool mechanic rags.

Scott bought his employees and bike frame customers to the races and
paid for their race entry fee's. I turned down some of his prize offers
because it was just too much, told him it really wasn't necessary.....

All the Socal racers who met Scott would agree what a good person he is,
very enthusiastic about his bikes and racing.......

Yes, two years is way too long for your frame.

Have you sent him a letter asking for the return of your motor?

Looks like Scott has bitten off more than he can chew and is no longer
in the motorized bike frame and custom business.

I am sure that if Scott doesn't already know about your post here he
will soon and will send your motor back.

Last edited:

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
mogollon,

Thank you for the encouragement! I thought I would give Scott one more chance with this public thread before calling my attorney. If I don't get a tracking number within a week or two, I fully intend to make good on my notice.

MotorBicycleRacing,

I had read only good things about Scott 2 years ago. It seemed like he was doing much for the community and I appreciate the work he has done!

Regardless, if Scott was unable to complete my frame, he has had ample opportunity to return my parts. I even offered to pay him part of the money during the build to help out (I remember my frame would have cost nearly double his $450 base price). I have been very generous and patient.

Perhaps I am not reaching out the best way. Is there a more reliable way to get in touch? I think I only have his work email, address, and one phone number. If he doesn't check his work phone or email often, maybe my recent messages went unnoticed?

If he returns my parts, I will amend the thread and not move forward with legal action.

Thanks again

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Send a certified letter, you'll have proof of receipt, or a confirmation of avoidance. Contact by all available means, take evidence of this to your attorney. It will further bolster your case.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
so he was at the last race? i'm sure neil might be able to help you work this out. people that donate frames are not scamers usally. bad things happen to good people. that said this is a very tuff business to make a living in and alot have failed at it. as far as lawyers, i don't think you've lost enough to go that route and if he doesnt have $$$$ its a waste of time and money to go after nothing. sorry.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
so he was at the last race? i'm sure neil might be able to help you work this out. people that donate frames are not scamers usally. bad things happen to good people. that said this is a very tuff business to make a living in and alot have failed at it. as far as lawyers, i don't think you've lost enough to go that route and if he doesnt have $$$$ its a waste of time and money to go after nothing. sorry.
Sorry, that was badly worded. Scott and the Silver State Crew haven't
been to a race in years.
but I did contact one of Scott's ex workers on Facebook that still does
some work for him.

One of Scott's friends in Vegas is on here everyday.

However I have high confidence that Scott will return the motor. :)

Like I said above mail Scott a request to get the motor back.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Well Wret I know I like your 5 speed & hope my upcoming drop loop 5 speed build will turn out as nice.

I'm also hoping you get everything sorted out with Scott and finish your 5 speed. The motorcycle engine based bikes are so smooth & tractable in everyday riding situations. I'm positive you'll love yours when it's completed.
Rick C.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
MBR: I will send a letter asap. I hope you are right. I believe the value of those parts to be somewhere around $600. I sent another email to him this evening.

Wret: Credit given! You have a wonderful board track racer and are an inspiration. Mind if I ask how you procured your engine?

Rick: Thank you and good luck! I bet that I'll eventually get around to mine. I might just go ahead, get my class M license, and register the bike so I can ride without worry.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Mind if I ask how you procured your engine?
I bought mine on ebay, new from an importer. As you likely know, the upright models are a lot harder to find.

If I was doing the the project from the beginning, knowing what I do now about the registration process for a home-built vehicle, I would probably do things differently. I had to get creative with certificates of origin.

Mar 19, 2016
Ohio
Two years to do what any good fabricator can do in a few weeks (days?) is beyond the pale. If it was me, and your life situation allowed it, AND if someone can help you positively locate this guy, I would talk a friend (a witness) into roadtripping up there. Gas is cheap right now and you just can't beat dealing face to face. Odds of getting your stuff back are way better. Maybe he is totally broke (seems plausable the way he was giving stuff away) and can't afford to ship your stuff back. And it is quite likely he is too embarrased to face the people he short changed. Direct action yeild the best results. Physically take your stuff back. Good luck.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
MBR:
Wret: Credit given! You have a wonderful board track racer and are an inspiration. Mind if I ask how you procured your engine?

Rick: Thank you and good luck! I bet that I'll eventually get around to mine. I might just go ahead, get my class M license, and register the bike so I can ride without worry.
Wret is correct the verticals are in short supply I've bought three and recieved one, was refunded on another and the third is currently verified in UPS transit.
The 150 cc was lost in the L.A. dock strike last year (thank God for Pay pal) and refunded. The 125 cc is installed in my Simplex board tracker & the 100 cc will arrive Tuesday. The 125 cc are the most commonly available (in my experience) and CG 125, kick starts are currently listed on ebay. I'd encourage you to press forward with your build while seeking your just restitution. I know you bucked off a tall horse, but no bones are broken that won't mend. Get back on! Very best wishes in all you do. We're pulling for you. Rick C.

Attachments