SAT JUNE 2nd Grange Racetrack SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing 2012!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Sorry to hear that, Harry. Had a great time pitting next to you the last race. I'm in bed with food poisoning or stomach flue or something and I can't make the race either. The rest of my crew had to work all weekend. I saw Norm and Jeff at the LB swap Sunday and assured them I would be there, but things happen to all of us occassionally. Just keep plugging away and we'll make the next one.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Had a great tome today at Grange despite my front wheel issue. I missed the first races and only made the main . Thanks again Dennis for letting me use your front wheel .I only have one video to post ill post it soon .

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Pretty hot racing under the hot Grange Sun today. Some of the moped guys dressed kinda kooky and knew how to have fun and run some great races. Missed Strotter and Son the <50cc class.

Unofficial results:
<50cc
1st 191 or 91 Chris laid back then turned it on 1m:38.8s timed lap
2nd 152 Curtiss (V Dub) on his stock '77 Gareilli
3rd 96 NoSyleSin he led the early laps 1m:45.3s timed lap
4th 213 Chris H on a moped
5h 323 Michael Jacobs? or Javier moped 1m:48s timed lap
DNF 114 Will's mini electric didn't survive, took 5th by inches in heat 2
??? no other scoring data

2 strokers
1st 88 Jim Rust, Grandpa bus driver couldn't be beet, 1m:26.8s lap time
2nd 8 Steve MagRider past 2 stroke champion
3rd 5 Ryan S another black/chrome Rusty bike build
4th 33 Baird on his small terror (8,5, 33 were 3 wide, heck of contest for 2nd place)
5th 98 NashMoto actually promoted himself running a 49ccHonda/Nuvinci hub
6th 59 HeadTrama super easy to read number, thank you
7th 152 Curtiss on another classic moped
8th 67 PistonBike John
9th 86 Rodney
10th 77 PistonBike Dave
uncertain possible order below
11th 101?? misread paper plate
12th unreadable number
13th 18?
14th 68
15th 58
16th 64
17th unreadable number
18th 43

11 H.P.
1st 151 Ryan(anator) flawless race moped 1m:21.1s timed lap
2nd 191 Chris of Tomahawk Tuning moped
3rd 98 NashMoto single speed thumper, faster than Oh oh Spagetti O's
4th 69 EasyRider Morini
5th 6 Jonathan HF thumper
6th 181 Tyler moped
7th 187 Jake M moped
8th 34 AirEd HF thumper
9th 23 Javier ?Morini
10th 234 Ryan moped

DNF 80 and 3

Most mopes were functioning pedal equipped.

Corrections and more info is needed to fill in the gaps. If you can help with corrections and/or have some additional info, please post. I can return to this list to update. Some great cooperation around the track. Thanks to Steven and Gage and others who dedicated their time/efforts to writting down the racers numbers lap after lap.

We've lived it; now let the fotos, vids, and tales begin!

Last edited:

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
2 strokers
1st 88 Jim Rust, Grandpa bus driver couldn't be beet, 1m:26.8s lap time
2nd 8 Steve MagRider defending 2 stroke champion
3rd 5 Ryan S another black/chrome Rusty bike build
4th 33 Baird on his small terror (8,5, 33 were 3 wide, heck of contest for 2nd place)
3 wide fighting for 2nd place!!! WOW I missed a good race! I can't wait to see pics and videos.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this was the best race i've been in so far. my little bike out-performed my expectations, and i know it was a big surprise for all the people who thought it wasn't gonna be a competitor. speed-wise, it was only slightly (very slightly) slower than the full-built, reed valved, custom machined Jim Rust motors, and the well-tuned Piston Bikes Motors.

on the straights, it was wheel to wheel matching all the bikes twice it's size.

the main even was amazing.

i pulled the hole-shot, and was passed by Kevin from Piston, the previous race winner. he's a phenomenal rider, and i stuck to his back wheel, waiting for my time to pass him back.

the second lap, i was setting him up coming out of the sweeper, and passed him at the same time he was developing chain problems, right before he dropped out of the race.

i'm not sure when Jim over-powered me to run away for the win, but the real race was for 2nd.

Ryan snuck around me, and i chased him for 3-4 laps, knowing Mag was eating up the small lead i had on him. he finally took me, and we all battled wheel to wheel for the rest of the race, with me almost rubbing tires with them both.

there was a bunch of passes and re-passes and it was a fight the whole time. probably never less than a coupla bike lengths apart for the last 8 or so laps.

about the 9th lap, the 3 wide down the straight was awesome. Mag and Ryan were barely ahead of me in the last corner, and i snuck up on the outside. we ran the length of the straight almost completely even.

i was braking a lot later than most in the first corner, but got shut out of my line and ended up following for the rest of the race, with my little bike nipping at their wheels.

the last corner on the last lap, we were all just a few feet apart, and i gave it everything i got and my front wheel washed out, and i barely saved it, took a little dirt ride to stay on, and ended up losing enough time to put me in 4th.

(when i got my bike home the front tire was flat. it's hard to notice with the pirellis since they're so stiff anyway, and i gotta wonder if it was flat or going flat in the final?)

my throttle/brake hand was numb during most of the final, had a huge side cramp, and my knees were killing me from pedaling to keep my speed up. but none of those are excuses, just sayin' what i was pushing myself through to stay in the race. i wasn't giving up for nothin'...:)

seriously, best race ever.

once again, i gotta thank Dennis (dmb) for his generousity and hospitality, for the ride, the toy hauler, and for being an all-around good guy.

other thanks go to Rob at Piston for the chain, and everyone else for the good times...:)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
We had a awesome day! I want to thank Neil & his crew for putting on a great race. (^)
I would also like to thank Dave Rust of Arrow Motorized Cycles for all his help in the pits!!
My race bike had some bad problems the night before; so I brought out one of my street bikes... It ran well in the qualifiers, but it broke a ring just before the 2-stroke main. :(
Dave helped me replace the piston & rings to get my bike running again, but it just didn't have the same power it did before; so I 'tapped out' & had a few beers with the homies & watched the mains from the side. :)

I want to give big props to the Arrow team for their 1st, 2nd & 3rd place wins in the 2-stroke class; & props to Baird for 4th!
I also want to give props to Jeff (CCC) on his impressive showing with his monster 4-stroke bikes! I really think Jonathan's going to be the guy to beat in the future races! (There was a lot of buzz in the pits about how fast Jeffs bikes are)!

Here's a link to see some pix...
http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk125/VeniceMotorBikes/Grange Race 6-2-12/
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=395623#post395623

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
cool video! i hope there's more. i'd like to see our battle from a different perspective.

i almost forgot about the double white flag (almost) disaster.

the kid who was waving the start/finish flags waved us the white flag for the last lap, so coming across the finish line i had my head tucked as low as possible, not even looking at the checkered flag and unbeknownst to me, he WAVED THE WHITE FLAG AGAIN!

i looked up as i was pulling off the track, and there's a bunch of people screaming at me that there was one more lap. i saw Mag still on the track, slowing and looking back, and Ryan was looking confused, and i was too far into the pits to get back into the race...

for about a half-second i thought "did i imagine seeing the first white flag?"

it's a good thing they decided to call that second flag the checkered and call the race over with, or else there woulda been some pretty freakin' angry people in the pits...;)

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
The racer that made me smile most was Baird, he was racing his booty off, I was able to make a pass on him and make it stick. Going into the first turn 3 wide was awesome, and I am very thankful that I was part of some of the cleanest, respectful racing too date. Read his post and that’s the way I saw it, literally I was playing catch up the whole race I was in 6th after the first lap.

Thanks to Neil for promoting these races, all the sponsors, fellow racers and everybody that make these events fun. Another 2nd place, hopefully I will get out of this rut soon. See you in the pits –magrider-

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i'd like to thank piston bike Robert for trying to get me a clutch. although i didn't race i had a great time watching the race's and talking with everyone. you too neal even though you make fun of my paralyzed leg,[ i'm just happy to be able to limp around] too bad someone had to take my last place position.also that 2 stroke main was as exciting as any race i've seen. kudo's to the flag man as he worked all day in the sun and no one made a big deal out of the 2 white flag's it's all in fun. hope everyone who crashed is OK even you hommie even though you didn't pay to ride and used the E.M.T. service. hopefully i'll see everyone next race. dennis#A200

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
A big thanks to Dennis for all his hospitality to everyone . And a big thanks for letting me borrow your front wheel .If you need it back let me know and I can bring it to you on Thursday .

mojavemesa

Jan 19, 2012
high desert
Thanks for putting on a great race Neil. I hope to come to the next one. Since this was my first win in any race ever I'm really hoping people could post some picture or video links if they have any. Thanks again. Ryan.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
cool video! i hope there's more. i'd like to see our battle from a different perspective.

i almost forgot about the double white flag (almost) disaster.

the kid who was waving the start/finish flags waved us the white flag for the last lap, so coming across the finish line i had my head tucked as low as possible, not even looking at the checkered flag and unbeknownst to me, he WAVED THE WHITE FLAG AGAIN!

i looked up as i was pulling off the track, and there's a bunch of people screaming at me that there was one more lap. i saw Mag still on the track, slowing and looking back, and Ryan was looking confused, and i was too far into the pits to get back into the race...

for about a half-second i thought "did i imagine seeing the first white flag?"

it's a good thing they decided to call that second flag the checkered and call the race over with, or else there woulda been some pretty freakin' angry people in the pits...;)
Who is angry in this mix-up? Everyone is headed in a different direction by the looks of it.....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/img1570ww.jpg/]
[/URL]

And who is the kid on this little bike?

Oh, is that Baird on that tiny thing? #33?

Great job Bud, was fun watching you guys battle for the top positions in your race!

.wee.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
When racing, anything can happen. I had a good finish in the first heat race. Had mechanicals in the second heat, starting a lap behind the field. And then came the Finals. Less than half way through my heavy clutch springs both broke and caused the CVT to stay in high gear. Done. :(

When I got home and opened er up, I saw just what I was expecting too see.....

Hey.... that's racing, and it's worth all the effort! Thanks to everyone that attended, all the continued support (fans, sponsors ie. AGK, Arrow Racing, etc., Neil for the event and all the really awesome builders and racers that love to compete that I would like to call friends).

I truly look forward to all future events that I can participate in, and all the familiar faces as they have become.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've never even seen a clutch quite like this one but I can tell its broke
Yeah, it's broke alright. That's the driver pulley on a CVT.....the clutch so too speak.

I also found out when I got home that my fuel line developed a leak from rubbing on the engine shroud. Sure glad the bike didn't catch on fire:eek:

Should be up and running fine for Baird's race on the 16th.....be prepared.

dnut

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Sure wish I could say the same about Baird's race. I'm slow and poor right now. The DMV and insurance companys wipe me out every year in June.
I guess if you want to find a weak link real quick just put it on the track. It will show up in no time.