Pocket Bike Engine Project

GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Hey lowracer, how many copper base gasket are you using? 1 or 2?

I was using 1 and the compression seems to be higher thus giving more power, see my thread for updates on new damage that occured to my engine once again.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
So the torque wrench from Harbor Freight arrived and it seems by FAR inaccurate. I don't understand why, but when I set it even to it's max setting 200 in lbs it clicks even at that setting. Either I overtightened or the wrench is far too inaccurate. I got it for 10 bucks anyway.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
Dax has 1.5" one way friction rollers in stock now although I dont think they've hit his website yet. I ordered 2 DAX friction kits both with the 1.5" rollers for 2 pocket bike engine projects. I am going to run high powered friction drives w/meaty 2.5" tires & DH tubes...Just for the heck of it last week, I mounted the PB engine to my old BMP kit 1.25" roller & had a blast & it got me thinking...
Probably start a new thread once the Dax kits arrive to post my results.
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
CB2,
Dax has 1.5" one way friction rollers in stock now although I dont think they've hit his website yet. I ordered 2 DAX friction kits both with the 1.5" rollers for 2 pocket bike engine projects. I am going to run high powered friction drives w/meaty 2.5" tires & DH tubes...Just for the heck of it last week, I mounted the PB engine to my old BMP kit 1.25" roller & had a blast & it got me thinking...
Probably start a new thread once the Dax kits arrive to post my results.
-Lowracer-
Sounds way cool LR! Pretty neat a one way roller. Been thinking of some 2.5 tires myself, what are you going to run? Found any good deals?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
My FD`s with the one way 1.25" roller`s locked up, would grease them and see if that helps. Not much room for the grease, but it should help for a while.

Ron

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I like the Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 tire for the non-friction drive tire & a Cheng Shin 2.125 C241 for the friction drive tire. The C241 has an almost flat profile similar to the old Schwinn Crate rear slicks & seems to be holding up real well under hi-power. Also for $9.00/ea @ Niagara cycles it is priced right. I also am running Kenda DH 2.4-2.75 Schrader tubes & these are some seriously heavy duty, heavy weight tubes. The tube almost weighs as much as the tires...Just ordered 2 more of each for spares. The lowracer v-belt drive system has been great but I do want the fatter tires & tubes & like the simplicity of friction drive. I dont ride in the rain or on probable rainy days so I am going back to friction on all 3 MB's!
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
I think the CST Cyclops is almost an exact duplicate of the Maxxis Hookworm but for alot less coin. They are advertised at 2.4 not 2.5 but believe the same factory makes them both. They are also @ Niagara Cycle for cheap (even less through Amazon from same seller but less shipping fee.)
If the one-way roller bearings seize up or dont work well, I'll get them welded to make it a fixed roller.
-lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the steer(hehe) on the tires LR will check em out. I guess(never thought about it running 4strokes) the one way rollers are easy on engine oilng for a 2stroke, makes sense. Keep it lubed and it should be fine.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I wish Dax would go to solid rollers in the larger size, but I don't see it happening. The 1 way sprag rollers do have a nice function though. It's not "freewheeling" so you don't have to lift your drive roller off tire to pedal. It's so it never walks loose while you have a cager on your butt or are going up a monster hill. I have been spraying oil and silicone lube in mine, and it quit making so much squeaking when pedaling out the driveway. They have never seemed to slip, in driving the bike, but it was easy to remove from the drive shaft when I wanted to.

My FD`s with the one way 1.25" roller`s locked up, would grease them and see if that helps. Not much room for the grease, but it should help for a while.

Ron

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Happycheapskate,
Good to hear they actually work. DAX says he only had 2 of the 1.25" one-way rollers he's been currently selling be problematic & one was an easy fix, the other was a defect. I am accustomed to the solid 1.25" BMP roller & like it alot. I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S (keeping it simple). Now I just gotta wait for the shipping. I removed the v-belt drive rack & engine today & installed the fat front tire w/DH tube. The DAX kit should just bolt right up (as did the BMP) to my custom steel bar mounting tabs.
I'll start a new thread once the 2 kits arrive & aptly name it 'The Friction Beast'
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Gera,
I am constantly switching engines & drivetrains & engine position always searching for the best way to hook things up. Recently just for the heck of it, I removed my 35cc Subaru Robin engine & installed my 2nd Cag w/ RT carb onto the BMP kit & couldn't believe how great it rode & felt. I never ride in the rain, so that wont be an issue going to friction. I also like running fat tires & DH tubes which I cant do on the v-belt drive wheel due to space constraints. I have been using my MB's lately on fair weather days instead of my car & doing anywhere between 50-100 miles/day. If the friction driven tires hold up well enough, I'll be good to go. I did a bunch of gearing ratio calculations & the 1.5" roller will get me the same kind of speeds per rpm as my v-belt setup.
-Lowracer-

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Friction drive is a belt drive. The belts are about $10 and last anywhere from hundreds to thousands of miles and have convenient wear indicators built in. As long as you keep your nuts and bolts tight, and your belt aired up, you don't have to worry about anything but potholes and squirrels, just like riding a regular bike.

Last edited: