Pocket Bike Engine Project

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Brake pads are cheap, I think I've used Kool Stops in the past with good success & Shimano's are great too.
Fork, I'd only get a Marzocchi. Used on eBay for cheap....I like oil open bath with coil springs (no air)...
As far as clutch goes, i'm not going to need to worry about that issue anymore now that I'm done with the cags...
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Hit 8900 rpm's today = 39.72 mph
Thing keeps getting better everyday.
Not sure if this engine can do more RPM's or if I just got it geared too tall?
Anybody know the limits of the Tanaka PF4000?
I may need to get a 1.25" drive roller to compare to this 1.5" I'm running now, but I dont think this engine is a 10680 rpm engine? (to get the same speed out of the 1.25")
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Gera,
Thanks.
Funny cause I was just surfing the owners manual & reading the 11000 rpm's when you replied. The pipe I'm sure helps this engine get some extra rpm's but I think my gearing might be just a bit too tall. Now I got (3) 1.5" one-way drive rollers & none of the 1.25" for the DAX kit...
Anybody want to swap their spare 1.25" for a brand new 1.5" ?
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Tanaka 40cc Engine Project

I spent some more time working on the exhaust today & got it to where I like it. Its more tucked in & further from my left foot. Its all rubber mounted for vibration & rides smooth & quieter.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
mat man,
Wow cool stuff...I didnt realize there were others building up (& racing) front drive bikes as I have. I'm wonder how fast they go & how they handle? I'm guessing they are all friction drive like the Velo Solex?
-lowracer-

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
It looks like over 80% of even the fastest Solex super prototypes do not have active suspensions.
I can not imagine what my ass would feel like after finishing a 24 hour race.

They all look like friction drives to me.

Last 2 pics, claimed 70 mph:
http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,190924,191499

Compression ratio: 16 to 1.
Torque: 6.4 N * m to 12,000 rev / min.
Max speed: 13800 rev / min.
Power: 7.502 kilowatts or 10.2 hp.
Rake: 22 °.
Wheelbase: 1100 mm.

Tires: Michelin
7/55-17 (2 ¼) M29 competition for the back.
2 ¼ -17 M29 forward.

Length: 1610 mm.
Seat Height: 590 mm.
Oil: 4% of Motul 800 or Castrol A747 with 1% Castrol M.
Dry Weight: 37 Kg
Kerb Weight: 46 Kg

Capacity: 50 cc.
Bore * Stroke: 40 * 40 mm.
Plots: 180 ° and 130 ° exhaust transfers.
Surface treatment of the cylinder: Nickel-Silicon.

A better answers could be found here:
Index du forum ‹ Préparation Mécanique Solex ‹ Préparation mécanique
http://translate.google.com/transla...orum.solex-competition.net/viewforum.php?f=14

Impressed that French Solex racing seems like a low cost father-son family affair.
If our racing grows like this, how long before we see 120 lb riders
with water cooled 50cc, shift kits and full fairings going 65mph?

Even the Nuns sport a racing team:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpdRJXUbcY&feature=player_detailpage#t=195s
Maybe named the "Hot Nuns Racing team".

Basic info:
http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2822025,2822511#msg-2822511

They use hardened steel rollers with 20% slippage:

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I rode 'The Tanaka Powered Beast' 80 miles today to do my work, mostly keeping it around 7000 rpm's (~30 mph avg speed) with a few WOT blasts thrown in for good measure. I brought 80 oz of fuel with me (full Tanaka tank plus (3) 20 oz msr's) & ended up with just under half a tank left, so I burned 75 oz of fuel for an impressive 137 mpg's. A little less mpg's than my recently sold lightweight hardtail bike w/ Tanaka 32cc (150 mpg's) but with much greater comfort...
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Rode again today for 52 miles on 42 oz of fuel = 158 mpg's
Much better than yesterdays 137 mpg's
Probably due to less windy conditions & I didnt go quite as fast avg speed
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Gera,
The Tanaka doesn't vibrate as much as the Cag. I got the idle adjusted down to around half of what I need to idle at on the cag & its purring nice & quiet. Make sure to rubber mount your exhaust pipe & hangers on any engine you run since vibes with shake your bike & fillings out of your mouth (solidly mounted a Cag pipe once & thought my bike welds would come apart...lol). so far the Tanaka is a dream come true even though its max speed is 10-13 mph slower than the cag at WOT...
-Lowracer-

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
You're making me want to get one too..... I've also heard of the bluebird which is faster according to the motor scooter forum. (mopednation I believe) They are quite hard to find.

If I had money, I'de get a Morini, that has all the power and reliability.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok, todays commute turned out messy.
I did a total ride of 97 miles today on 75 oz of fuel = 165 mpg's
Fuel economy keeps getting better...
About 75 miles into the ride 'something jumped up & bit me'...a nail went thru the sidewall of my rear Maxxis hookworm tire as I was stopping for a red light. I pulled over into a gas station & pulled out the nail & tried to patch the tube without removing the rear wheel from the bike. It still leaked air so I had more than one hole. I removed the wheel & changed the tube. I pumped it back up & hit the road again. Then after another 10 miles the sky b egan to turn black & began to rain...I stopped to push the friction drive channel further into the tire to prevent roller slippage & put on my raincoat. Then all h*ll broke loose & there were deep rivers of water running down the side section of road I normally ride on. So deep was the water, that it hit the bottom of my exhaust pipe! I pulled over under an awning out in front of a bike store & began chatting with the mgr who was outside watching the storm oping the rain wouldn't last long & it didnt. I made it home slowly & was definitely glad I left the stock intake on the Tanaka which prevents water from entering the air filter.
Well, today was my 1st experience with MB'ing in the rain & I didn't like it much...lol
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Rode again yesterday about 50 miles.
Once again the sky turned ugly & we had scattered rainshowers.
I ventured out since it was sunny when I left the house. Once underway by MB, I dont like coming back. I did have to stop twice just before the big rain dumps & take shelter under awnings @ businesses. Always ends up making conversation about MB's & how 'cool it is'. I did get another flat tire but this time on the front. I was passing a Walmart when it happened so I parked in front by the shopping carts, applied my emergency brake (velcro strap around front brake lever) & went in for some Slime & a valve core removal tool. I carry 2 patch kits & a spare tube but didnt feel like getting into the repair so I took the easy route. Well, after I got it pumped back up & back underway, the rain started & I was fortunate enough to get into the garage of one of the places I needed to be on my route. I hung out for about an hour & a half until it got dry again. Back on the road the tire started losing air again & slime was getting out. I had to stop & repump every few miles & finally got home.
I noticed that the new front tire was pretty much ready for replacement from being worn away by the friction drive & it got my wheels thinking about going back to vbelt drive after the next 2 spare beach cruiser tires get worn out (maybe ~1000 miles/each)
P.S. I am NOT loving liquid Slime now that I've tried it...it doesnt plug, it just escapes from a very small hole....
-Lowracer-

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Went from about 19.5 final ratio to about 15.4 and it accelerate just a bit slower and seems to eat gas faster for some reason! Idk if it's just me, but I thought it would eat gas slower because of slower revvs.

With 11T front I got 37mph and with 14T, it just can't beat it for some reason at very high RPM. It went almost 35mph according to my phone GPS and I don't know why, maybe the gearing is too heavy for the engine? I know you lowracer topped it at 50mph! Crazy, you must have had a beast! My final ratio with the 14T is 15.43 which is JUST below what your gear ratio was of about 15.6x I guess? So I don't think that should be a problem.
And FIY the road I road it on was about 0.6 miles long, and I let it revv where it felt it doesn't pick up anymore for like 10 seconds before revving down.
How far do you need to go before reaching max speed? Maybe it was revving faster, but so slow you can't even hear the change lol, but still not much.
Riding on 26" wheels.

It's either that or my phone GPS started acting up. I might need to use a real GPS to see for sure, but it sure does feel fast!

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Gera,
Not sure why there is so much discrep in your speeds than mine at around the same ratios. My cag (the good one) runs out really strong from idle to 11,000 rpm under load. I did notice less top rpm going to friction drive from v-belt drive. Only can hit 10,000 rpms or so with a lightly pressed friction roller against the tire. I think the 5:1 transmission you're turning may be eating up some of your engine power? The bike you motorized is a rigid mtb & anything over 40 would be suicide anyhow...
My only MB now is 'The Beast' since I recently sold both my other two MB's. I bought another bike today off eBay & am anxious to get a motor on it.
Its called a Banshee Scream. They are built in BC Canada (perhaps overbuilt)...its a real strong, heavy full suspension DH MTB.
Here is a pic
Cheers,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got it for $780.
Its in like new condition, w/very few hours on it.
The parts are slightly different than the Bikepedia site lists (better parts in my opinion are on the bike)...'The Banshee' should be a very road worthy rig like 'The Beast'...planning on a rear rack mount friction drive...not sure of engine yet (maybe cag)
see here
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...nd=Banshee&Model=Scream Ultimate FR&Type=bike
-lowracer-