please help!! I wanna buy this bike&engine tommrrow !!

GoldenMotor.com

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
And I don't know if this has already been done or posted some where but putting the sprocket is hard!! I after thirty minutes of dropping the screws an plates out am using this trick. I put the sprocket two plates with gromet on the floor with bolts sticking up. Then I slide a small piece of cardboard under. Laid the rim on top an put my hand under the cardboard pushing one bolt up an screwing in. Then I'm going to take three nuts off at a time two install the metal pieces. Hope this helps someone with the frustration!!

Attachments

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't know about the coaster brake but as far as which way to mount the sprocket the best way is to line it up as true as possible with the drive sprocket on the engine. Also take into account any frame clearance issues. You can test fit the alignment before you bolt up. And also check your wheel for wobble after you finish as you might need to tweek a spoke or two. They are fussy to install but when you are done. It won't need much maintenance but still check it periodically and these are a good place to use locktite after it's all straight and true.

good idea with the cardboard bolt managing system

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's probably the most tedious part of the whole buildup right there... getting the rag joint set up perfrctly... I liked your method of putting the bolts thru then setting it on cardboard so they're all pointing up then lowering the wheel onto it all...
I faught mine pretty good trying to get my hand thru the spokes, hold one of the 3 retainers, the rubber ring inside the spokes, then the rubber ring outside the spokes and finally get the sporcket with one bolt thru it to line up and go thru everything, then repeat with the botlts and retainers 3 more times, and finally repeat with the remaining 6 bolts... Then once that was all done, the fun part of getting it true to the wheel came into play...
You probably already did this, but you need to get all 9 bolts in and snug them down, then turn the wheel and look for side play, then go in and tighten the bolts where the high spot is, and keep repeating until it dont sway side to side when turning the wheel. I did the adjustment for straightness with the wheel on the bike and no chains installed.

The sprocket is then tightened down by giving each bolt a 1/2 turn at a time until it's on there nice and tight, spinning the wheel after each step tightening it down and making any last minute adjustments to keep it straight...
I'm quite the perfectionist but I've noticed that getting the side to side play in the sprocket under 1/8" is usually enough to keep from throwing the sprocket, it will move a little after it's been run so it may need some more adjustment at that time.

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
So yesterday I saw a man with the EXACT same bike with an engine on it. He also was using coaster break! Which I installed and their is plenty of room for it an sprocket!! So that is very exciting for me!! He did however have the engine very high on the frame so I honked flashed my lights an waved my hands at him. He must have thought I was a mad man because he hit it on a side street. So I'm going to try an install engine tonight an see if theirs any clearance problems. Here is progress so far

Attachments

Last edited:

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Also the screw on the clutch arm is not their. Could I get it from the hardware store?

And when I move the clutch arm back and forth it doesn't engage the engine. It only goes flush with the engine like the bikeberry video . like it will go straight back, but then when I try to push it towards the inside of the engine it won't go. ( sorry this sound confusing so if your behind the bike and the engine is on, the arm will go back. But when I try to push it towards the inside of the engine towards the right it won't. An either way I push it the drive sprocket will not spin

Attachments

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey Mike, hope the build is going well. Those clutch springs are short but strong. You are pushing in the right direction, towards the center of the engine but you might not be pushing hard enough. You should be able to do it by hand if you have the engine against something hard like the floor if you don't have any gas in it yet. But don't take any tools to push the arm in case it's a different problem. I've read that sometimes the clutch pads get stuck to the plate during shipping or waiting to be shipped so be careful.

You can get the mount extenders or make your own or double check your parts bag because I got two in mine. I bet there are guys who got three and some who only got one.

The clutch cable keeper can be replaced with something from the hardware store or maybe check a bicycle shop for something you can adapt. It just has to be something that holds the cable without cutting into it and it has to stay in the proper position.

keep at it!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
On my new engine I couldn't turn the engine over by hand even with the clutch in. When they're new they are too sticky for that. It's probably ok that you couldn't do it.
That dust cover is supposed to go on beneath the sprocket. Sometimes they are just left off, I would put mine on but it would mean taking the sprocket back off again.

The sprocket seems to be off center, judging by the way the axle looks there.
People say these things go together in a few hours. I built one for my boss at work in about 4 and a half hours, but I had a helper after lunch, bike up on a work table, tools of all kinds...
When I built my own I fooled around with it for about 3 weeks.
haha, mine was worthy of more attention than the boss's.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah, That's just a dust cap. And the washer goes on top of the break arm before the locking nut. I made my own trueing station out of an old set of forks just for that rear sprocket. once ya get the sprocket set straight and tight MOST of yer problems are over. BUT. The sprocket is almost the most important part of the build. A Sprocket that ain't centered is gonna give you big problems with the chain. NO back and forth and NO side to side wobble. BUT, Since NOTHING is ever perfect. VERY, VERY, VERY little wobble may still work.Just get it as close as possible.
fatdaddy.usflg

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I'm not saying this to be rude, but if someone were to try to flag me down on my bike, I'd dip down an alley too, and in fact have while riding my friends bikes. I don't know how it is for other riders, but people beeping their horns at me tends to distract and scare me and has almost caused me to run into things, so yeah, whenever someone has tried to flag me down, as soon as I got over the momentary distraction I dipped out quick to get away from the very nice person trying to get my attention while I'm operating a motorized vehicle on a public roadway, sometimes at night. I don't know why people in cars think that people on two wheels need to focus on the road and what's in front of them, not to the side, any less than they do.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Most of the time its just people that wanna say "cool bike bro" And if it looks safe to do, I'll stop and chat. I haven't been mugged by a looky loo yet but I guess it could happen. I do live in San Jose in a part of the city that looks nothing like Beverly Hills. A lot of gang members live on my block. I respect them and hope I get some of that back. I'm trying to tell my girlfriend that you just cant cuss out these rude kids anymore like in the old days. They'll just whip out the AK and shoot ya, THEY don't have any problem at all just shooting you. In this city there's also a good chance of them getting away with it. The cops here have no idea what a REAL investigation is. It makes you wunder what kind of person would even want to be a cop. I figure its the guy that got bullied most of his life and now wants payback. OR, its the bully and now he gets to carry a gun and carry on. I think very few become cops to try to help the community. For most its all about power. SORRY, I kinda got off on a rag about MY ISSUES. but just try stopping and chating about yer bike sometime. If you built it I Know yer proud of it so STOP and bragg on it some. Ya might even find a riding buddy or someone that wants to build one too.
fatdaddy.usflg

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I just prefer not to, sorry but that's just me. I don't really want to talk to strangers to begin with, I'm highly introverted and not very good in social settings with new people. My wife and I went out to breakfast with my dad and his wife, and my dad invited a guy from his church that I don't know (side note, I don't know anyone, my wife and I just moved to Florida recently). I was very quiet and barely spoke a word all the way through breakfast. Got in the car with my family to leave and I was a regular chatty Cathy again. So the idea of my stopping to talk to a stranger who is flagging me down because of my bike is very unlikely. I personally find it disrespectful and dangerous to distract someone who is operating s motorized vehicle of any kind. People have even driven by honking their horns because I guess I was in their way or something, and a couple of times it has startled me so bad it's caused me to jerk the handlebars. So no, I won't stop and talk to very nice people who are trying to get my attention.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I was riding through a nice neighborhood when I realized a car was pacing me for quite a way up the road. I'm thinkin, what's this about, now? So I stopped to see what he would do. It was this older guy, nice car and clothes and he pulls up and starts saying he likes my bike and stuff and I had to splain (again) that it isn't a Whizzer.
It was creepy the way he was following me. I'm not the kind of guy you want to make too nervous. I have always liked to settle things right on the spot.
He was ok, though. The modern world does make us a little justifiably paranoid.
Crazies are everywhere. They're on them drugs they peddle on tv all day. lolz

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Sorry to hear that bro, The only one missing out is you. I love talking about my bike and a few people I've talked to have even ordered their own kits. I'll give them my card and they call for advice or drop by the shop for a little extra help getting it together. This is my main hobby 24/7. I've dedicated my shop entirely to Motorized Bikes. Right now I'm on the mend from 9 days in the hospital but as soon as possible I'll be out there getting grease on me again. And talking to everyone that will listen about Motorized Bikes. I would like to get a M.B. Army going in San Jose. And I aint one bit shy about it.
fatdaddy.usflg

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I only got creeped out by the car following me.
Another guy walked out in the road and flagged me down to talk about it. Nice dude, he asked all about it. Once when I had a flat and was pushing it home, a lady two blocks over gave me some iced tea and chatted about the dern bicycle. :) She's seen it go by a thousand times.
I didn't mean to come off as anti-social, just that one incident made my antennas go up.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Bing introverted is not the same as being shy. In fact, extroverts are more likely to be shy than introverts. Now, if I'm stopped and someone wants to ask me a question about my bike that's fine, but I won't stop for people trying to flag me down.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I gotcha, Yer attention should be on driving and traffic, Not some idiot that wants to ask a thousand stupid questions. I don't blame you a bit. I'm just saying that I don't mind stopping once in a while to answer a thousand stupid questions, Sometimes its fun stopping for a cold drink and a smoke and standing around B.S'ing about motorbikes. To each his own.
fatdaddy.usflg

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Hey so I'm tinkering with the old engine to familiarize myself with our HT motors an am kinda blown away by the spark plug. This engine has seen better days to say the least an I've been doing a lot of reading waiting on my last parts. Well waiting tell wed tell I can buy em an then another week wait but I digress I jus pulled the spark plug an was like can't wait to see how burnt it is( to lean) or how built up with oil an gas it is( to rich) so I pulled it an look what I hot..... U think he jus put a new one in to jus fool me with a nice plug hang in out or do you think maybe the carb an everything was set right? An you think I could keep this for new engine because cu its one of the last parts I need?

Also look at the gaskets. New and not worn... Well I guess for the money I spent I can at least get some decent spare parts!!!

Attachments

Last edited: