please help!! I wanna buy this bike&engine tommrrow !!

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Glad to see you finally got your package... I found out about it right before I sent you mine so that's why I didn't send out that bottom end just yet, but I had to send you something to avoid spoiling the surprise....
Yes, Tom is a great guy and I was pretty surprised when he sent me the pm telling me what he was going to do, then about a week later told me that the package got delayed by the postal service because they sent it to the wrong address, sent it back to Duane (ThatsDax), then back to your address... That's no ordinary ebay engine so you can expect a really smooth and dependable ride once installed... and we're all here to help you in any way you might need to get your bike on the road. If you need anything else or got any questions on anything while installing it or getting it broken in properly etc, I'm always just a PM away and I do keep an eye on this post as much as I can and I'm sure Tom and the others will be just as helpful.

Hope all is going well with your wife and family too.

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Dave you dirty dog!! I kinda figured it was a bette then normal engine for two reasons ( both I learned on this site) 1 the drive sprocket on the engine was lubed an lubed well which I thought was odd because I read on here all the time has to be done yourself. 2 I was looking at the hardware an it looks to be Strong. Not Chinese metal. Ha I cannot wait. Mon-tues I will be getting everything ready an then weds when I get paid I'll be purchasing the bike an the last couple parts, fuel line, fuel filter. An then I'm set. I've been you tubing bike prep for adding a motor an can't really find anything. Any suggestions. I'll also check post search. At the least I want to tighten spokes, grease bearings. Annthen should I sand where I'm putting the engine or put some sort of material so it will grip the frame better an also damping the vibration? I'm using this for a every day driver so I was thinking bout lead pellets in the handle bars. But then I was also thinking I live only 8-10 miles and away from work an I will not really be full throttling her, so maybe vibration won't be that bad. I know its been quit on this post but a lot has been going on. But believe me the motorized bicycling bike will be finished soon!! Can't wait to show you guys the maiden voyage!! Woo baby

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just make sure everything is tight and grease all the bearings --- they usually don't get enough for the extra abuse the motor adds. After your first ride, recheck everything for tightness.

Best of luck in your upcoming adventure!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Without actually seeing it the bike looks to be a good candidate for motorizing. I hope it is a steel frame. Those cantilever bars might be a problem. They're really low but you won't know until you try the engine in the frame. Make sure you try it with the spark plug installed to see if you'll have clearance.

As for mounting the engine, you want it mounted solid to the frame. No rubber or resilient material between the engine and the frame. There is a lot to read here on rubber mounting. It doesn't work. Don't do it!

You'll want to keep a close eye on the fenders. Again, there are many discussions on fenders and the hazards they can present. (ask me how I know) You'll need to reinforce the factory fender braces and attach points if you really want to keep the fenders on.

Even a new bike needs to be checked over carefully before riding it as a motorized bicycle. Bearings, brakes, steering assembly, anything that can vibrate loose needs to be checked and secured. You've seen this before: Don't use red Loctite thread locker on anything. The blue is sufficient.

You'll have more questions as you progress. We'll be here to help.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:
May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
Happy birthday Mike! (mine was yesterday.) Also echoing what Tom said about not adding any material between frame and mounts, it only makes matters worse. I sprayed expanding foam inside my handlebars - it's lightweight and seems to work pretty well for easing bar vibes. Be careful if you go this route as it tends to be messy, best to fill the bars off of the bike, not on the bike like I did. Cleaning the overspray off of black tires is no fun.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
With the engine he just got vibration should be the least of his worries, Yes, you can fill the bars and this is a very effective way to dampen any unwanted vibes, but the engine he has is a Dax engine that's very well balanced. I got one on my mountain bike and have had it up to 42mph with no noticeable vibration... I had to ride it several times at high speed and actually try to feel for vibration before I noticed only a very slight amount at about 9500 or so rpm. With the stock NT carb, no real porting, and close to stock exhaust, these engines don't rev nearly that high so the vibration will be similar to mine but even less... you'll actuallly have to try and feel for it before you notice any. Either filling your bars with lead shot or buying a set of weighted bar ends will pretty much eliminate any vibration issues. A solid seat post also works very well if any vibes are felt at the seat, but highly unlikely.

Best tip I can give is to mount the engine solid to the frame, get it up and running, then see if you can feel any unwanted vibes. It may have just a little vibration during break in which is normal, but will go away.

Also, if you're heavy handed with the wrenches, get yourself a torque wrench from Harbor Freight, this will save you from overtorquing stuff and snapping bolts or stripping threads in the aluminum.

The subject on fenders came up too.... I would recommend not using the fenders that come on most cruisers because they tend to stress crack or find their way between the wheel and the fork at 30mph... not good... If you do insist on using fenders, use plastic or fiberglass ones that'll break if thrown into the spokes at the wrong time...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... I run mine all the way to 10,000 rpm (roughly about 3500 rpm above the stock redline) and I just barely feel it at the grips, most the time I don't even notice it but when I took a ride just to see if it was vibrating or not, it just has enough to be noticeable, but I've gotta be doing above 40mph (about 9600 rpm) before I can even feel it.
For that reason I'm completely sold on Dax engines and bottom ends, that's my #1 choice when building one to sell since they're so smooth and reliable.

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Hey does that bike look OK?? I really want one with front breaks. Or are the gears going to mess up putting on the motor? Alsooo god has blessed me with extra money so I'm buying the rest of the parts today. Will fill in after I take wife to work

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
And are any of these tubes note worthy or recommended? 1 2 or 3. Also should I pick up this grease or stick with the marine grade grease we talked about in this post. Also is this good chain grease or can I use the marine grease for chain as well? SOO EXCITED GUYS!!! Finally coming together because of the help of this forum family!!

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... the caster brake goes back on after you install the rag joint and sprocket, I'm not 100% sure since I don't do coaster brakes, but you may need to bend the coaster arm just a tad to get everything to fit... Hopefully one of the coaster brake guys will come in and explain better, but it will work.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice bike choice BTW... and that reminds me of whwen my son was that age... Walmart was like playland for him while I was shopping in the aisles close to the toy section... lol

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
THE BIKE!!!!!

The weather.........

Lol only in Florida can u go into a store an its bone dry. An come out an it looks like hurricane Andrew lol.

Gonna wait as long as possible. Don't have any bags an its gonna hang out with bungies. Not gonna risk rust before she rides.

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's a really nice bike to put that new engine on... Those type frames are the easiest to motorize and they do look really cool once done... I'm really liking the color combination too.

Now the fun part begins... I'm sure you've read everything and watched all the videos at least a few times, but we're here if you need anything...

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
OK so raised the handle bars so it didn't look like granny's bike, also have the handle bars true straight with wheel.

Tightened seat but did not over tighten. Dead straight.

And I might have jumped the gun but put on our flag!!

Attachments

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Hey when I install sprocket should I have picture 1 facing out or cents theirs gashes should I flip it so I can start with a smooth surface( pic 2)? I'm trying to install sprocket tonight so any response would be appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited: