Phantom Bike...out with the Small Block in with the Big Block

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
We have had a couple Phantom bikes that I scored on a crazy deal, cannot believe the quality and ride of these bikes. They are solid and well designed, really like the looks also. My son and I have rode them a lot and he even raced one and took a second place with the two strokes.
I have been riding with a couple local guys lately... Gilbert, Turkman, Buba and want to ride with Dale and his crew. The problem is this bike is slow, can't keep up with the fellow riders. After the last ride I went right to HF and got the 212cc, no more Mr. Last Guy...
This post will show what it takes to shoe horn this beast into this frame...

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I saw the video on Justin's phone today.... Bad ass, just wanna say if that is an Al frame it's not gonna last if you ride even 10% the miles I do.... Especially with all those mods. Nice intake BTW, was that inspired by my exhaust pipe? :)

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I saw the video on Justin's phone today.... Bad ass, just wanna say if that is an Al frame it's not gonna last if you ride even 10% the miles I do.... Especially with all those mods. Nice intake BTW, was that inspired by my exhaust pipe? :)
Its the aluminum frame, I am a very conservative rider so not really worried. I built all these crazy Dyno's and never broke a frame with my fat ass...its when I sell them someone always trashes them.

The intake was inspired from all these turbo guys on Instagram building beautiful setups and exhaust. Let me see the one you built Tony

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I've been watching this develop, it is turning out great. Its nice to have a milling machine and lathe available, I haven't had access to either since I changed jobs in 2015. I kinda miss being able to make what I need for any projects I'm now working on.

Reactions: culvercityclassic

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
A really nice set of builds. I've had mostly excellent service from quality aluminum frames, dating back to mountain bike days when I really pounded them on jumps. Although the 212 is heavy compared to a China girl & rider weight must be considered on every build; I see no real concern in using even a high output 212 on the street. Builder skill is more of a key to building a bike that will survive. If the engine runs smooth, through straight chain lines and is well supported by the frame mounts the quality frame should hold up, aluminum or steel. I build bikes using both materials for frames. Each material has good properties as well as weaknesses, the experienced builder recognizes this and designs accordingly.

Truly fine builds, both & what I've come to expect from your shop on each build. Rick C.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thanks for the good input Rick. This frame is built well and the geometry is ideal, I like the built in gas take too.

I keep saying no more bike builds but like you I just have a hard time having nothing on the table.

A short video of my kid on the bike, always tell him dont hot rod the bike, as soon as he is out of my site I can hear him let loose. Today I noticed the sprocket adapter moved real good right into the spokes, that torque and CVT maybe too much.

Reactions: Greg58

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Jeff I'll bet you smile with pride when you hear him hit it, out of sight & think "my boy"!
Bike sounds stout & has a quite pleasant exhaust note.

Pat D's 3 piece hub adaptor holds big torque better than the Manic in my experience. I tried both on my two bikes using 10 hp + 5 speed wet clutch Honda 125 cc clones & the Sportsman product is what I stayed with. That said I am also using red locktite applied to the clamps surfaces, not the threads (blue for that), after prepping the hub and clamp surfaces with 80 grit & de-greaser. No slip to this point, many miles, later and that wet clutch really locks up and launches incredibly hard. Though I'm positive lacing up a moped hub with 8 gauge spokes is the real answer to wheel problems & braking while using more powerful motors; I'm really looking for the look & feel of a bicycle in my builds, regardless of motor size.

I like "more power & torque" as long as it's dependable and usable, the 212 can be "carted" out to well over 20 hp...lots of after market parts available & race engine builders have led the way to proven modifications. Just from the video & audio I'd say your bikes are somewhere comfortably in the middle & that's a great place to be riding day in and day out.

The little things, like selecting clamps for motor supports, are actually huge in the areas of practicality and dependability. I've used Harley tube clamps as the sole support for a 70 lb. motor/transmission & it's remained rock solid & vibration free...good clamps, accurately positioned really work as motor mounts. Look great also. Use of the small rear sprocket on the pedal side gaining case clearance was innovative and absolutely solved a real design problem often faced with big motor builds.

Though I love your Excelsior bike I was glad to see the two 212 cc bikes that also really shine with almost no glitter. Two totally different design concepts both of which stopped me for multiple long inspections and many approving nods.

I also am a Phoenix frame fan & like Velodrome I was surprised that the 212 fit so well & looks wonderful in the frame too. Rick C.

Reactions: culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I've been watching this develop, it is turning out great. Its nice to have a milling machine and lathe available, I haven't had access to either since I changed jobs in 2015. I kinda miss being able to make what I need for any projects I'm now working on.
Thanks Greg, I sold my old mill, lathe and four bikes I never rode...went out and purchased all new stuff that was smaller and worked a **** of a lot better. Better to have it and not need than need it and not have it...