Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Thanks Steve, for this time of year you never know what the weather here in the Northern Mid West will be.
March of "51" in Ontario, Wisconsin delivered a blizzard before Ma delivered me at a hospital in La Crosse.
Fortune was in my favor, had I not been born in hospital, I most likely would not be writing this. I was a Blue Baby.
Cheers Steve, hope we meet.
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was born a Blue Baby as well. Heart murmur and after losing two children at child birth my parents apparently figure #3 was gone as well.

I certainly hope we get to meet as well. Virus vaccine is starting to arrive in Canada in larger amounts so it's possible that my age group will receive soon. Border will be closed until late fall at least and maybe until next summer.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I traveled 100 mi round trip within my county to get a coved shot after hearing on the radio they had it. Was in line with lots of others when they for just this time only, anyone could get the shot. If I had internet, it is flakey sometimes, when I knew they were doing this I would have made an appointment. Instead I was in the line with out appointment. They ran out. I did however do some shopping at some big grocery chain where I could get fresh whole boneless leg of lamb. I bought them out with 4 pieces total around 20lbs. Before I left the store, in the parking lot, I cut open the bag and smelled to see if the meat was good. It was and along with 4 blocks of ice it stayed good. Half I have cleaned the fat off and cubed and is with onions an peppers soaking in the refrigerator. Took a rest and will get back to do the rest before tomorrow so they are ready for shish kabob BBQing.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
One of life's small mysteries: How does a J.A.P. tapered pedal fall off? Considering the fact that a special puller is required to remove one in the shop. My Fat e-bike the "Ugly" managed to do so yesterday while just a few blocks shy of making it back home. Quick fix once I found the proper nut.

It was a lovely day for a ride & I greatly enjoyed watching things green up here in Indian Territory.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
While waiting on shop tools and parts plus making some bench space I've material coming in for two more vintage cases to house electric motors. One a V-twin side valve and the other an early single. Both will be scaled down some, as compared to the twin I have in the drop loop Sportsman frame. I've also just begun on a V twin mini that's to have a finished size of 8" in height...it too will have an electric motor for my Grandson's first cycle. Getting tools set up will greatly enhance efficiency in this work.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've chips on the floor yet not much to show other than state that the new tools all work well as intended. The smal V-twin E-motor case is first on my list though I've some bike parts to fab as well. The 1:2. 5 scale will house a tiny 48 v. .75 kw motor in it's minute crank case... that's one horsepower, but could contain a 3.5 KW motor easily.

Primary gearing will be belt. #25 chain final. I'm going for a generic "Indian" look for both the twin and single, 1916 for the twin (front mag)
and 1907 for the single with atmospheric style valve/battery ignition.

I'm also waiting on some parts for the downsized, slightly, Harley side valve style motor, which should more easily adapt to a regular drop loop size frame.

I'm hoping this is a productve Spring/Summer for building.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Tom I wish you were a neighbor, second place wish is that my neighbor had a Bridgeport. I use the 6061 aluminum in these small machines as it turns well and is commonly available.

I'm pondering the head configuration and side plates. I've planned to work on the plates today. I've been wanting to try out my new band saw and bench sander on a for real project and nows a good time to give them a try.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Since I don't have a mill I used the lathe to cut the vertical head fins. Parted the cylinder jug and starting work on a little brass carb, Hedstrom style. I've still to decide if I go atmospheric style or F-head on this single cylinder model. I've decided to use the battery style case rather than the magneto ignition drive.

Quite a bit of work to get to this point & both the head and cylinder reqire a lot of detail steps to complete. The little crankcase is really simple compared to this.

Rick C.

jug & head mini.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
You've made a start and already gotten some real progress under your belt in one go on the scaled-down mini engine project Rick. Your Grandson's pals are gonna be green with envy. I know I am.
Feels good for me to catch up on a lot of posts I've been missing out on thanks to Jen's care requirements.
Maybe now I have, the forum will resume sending me notifications about thread updates and new postings.

PS: Ha! Another member of the 'Blue Baby Club' reporting for duty. The reason I'm an only child is both me and my Mum almost didn't make it.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hard start Pete for your Mom & you but it's reality delt with no?

I'm looking at building several of these small vintage electric cases for friends and family in various forms. For display in office or home & with or without an electric motor installed and of different sizes as well, both smaller and larger than the single I'm currently working on. Use of steel, aluminum, brass and copper coupled with some finishes is anticipated. Working on two different carb styles Schebler & Hedstrom designs...proportion is key, locked into believeable detail.

The first V- twin will be a larger scale than the single I'm now working on and suitable for mounting in a diamond frame of adult dimensaion. I'll do at least one half scale frame for office display of a V-twin too.

Looks to be a busy season throuh Fall this year.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, lathes are needful things indeed. So much can be done with one of them. Teamed with a small Bridgeport knock off and is there anything that can't be done? I'm watching what your doing as it unfolds rather enviously.

I had thought about trying to make a pattern for a single and double cylinder crank case that would fit any vintage motor and having a local foundry cast what ever amount they needed to make it feasible. Then have a machine shop clean them up so electric motors could be mounted in them.
Then my health went off the track and I never attempted it.

If I can get both the tri cars up and on the road I'd like to start a De Dion-Bouton style trike. Electric powered for simplicity. They had a gas tank suspended above the engine just behind the bikes saddle that was usually brass.I couldn't find any 6" brass caps but I did find some copper ones and with Pete's rivet wizardry perhaps brass rivets around the seams. Like most of us I'm at least two builds ahead of the one I'm currently working on.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I've had lathes and mills for decades and the past few years, I've lost track of how many; maybe four years, since I sold my shop, at any rate I've done without machine tools and that includes TIG and MIG welders. Though I get by on my 220v. flux wire feeder I miss my TIG more than I did the lathe. My eye health has improved to a great extent & with a lot of optical correction I can see well enough to weld a little on steel, but I doubt I cold pick up the puddle welding aluminum with a TIG. I may ask to try my luck at the local welding shop and try to TIG some aluminum. I know I can see to run steel. If I can't see what I'm doing I'll just buy TIG for steel....save a lot of $$ in the process, but I'm hoping I can see well enough to get a good pulse-.square wave ac/ dc TIG.

My friend who does aircraft part refurbishments recently commented on the extremely long waits for his parts orders to arrive and that he's greatly increased the size of his orders to build stock up. His business is really booming with private plane owners who can't get the time of day let aone parts from the manufacturer. They want to sell new planes and refurbishment of thirty or forty year old aircraft is beneath their marketing goals.

The cost of metal has really gone up so I've been ordering some stock. I've got the metal cut out for one almost full scale V- twin electrc and also for a large scale single. My goal for both of these is to fit in frames without a lot of alteration to the frame. I want the single to fit a diamond frame like the early bikes and if you recall I have a really handsome "Camel back" fuel tank I'd be pround to fit on her.I know it sounds a lot like work but with more tools I can speed things along a bit!

I've spent most of today working out a deal for motors and controllers in quantity. Ten of each seems to be where I'm stuck on small quantity, but it's a significant saving over one or two units. My Son wants several and at least three of those mounted on frames and I've got at least three bikes to do for myself so ten motors will go pretty quickly. These are 5hp motors at 36 v. but the kid motors are about two hp @ 36 volts. I'll not worry about using up the motors and controllers....

I'm hoping your health will improve with warmer weather and that it's a lot dryer there this year, but I know that part is doubtful. You 've got a lot of work lined up yourself.

Rick C.