Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Steve & everyone. I'm just having some fun as well.

My homework study on the early motors convinced me of the industrial nature of the new fangled moto bikes. Not much about them was slick just basic metals with some paint applied to prevent corrosion on the ferrous metals. The beautiful restorations shown in collections and photos staged by real artists don't portray the reality of a new Indian or Harley don't accurately relate what the first owner received for his $300. bucks U.S.

The original Hedstrom or Harley carbs were really crude and simple affairs which some over the decades have and do refer to as "soup can" carbs & they are truly ugly devices. in the second decade of development the carbs became somewhat more intricate & received a more tasteful, in my estimation, appearance. I've not copied either or for my carb look but incorporated a bit of the first & second generation styles into one & slicked them up a lot. The "Soup can" carbs were huge in proportion to the engines cylinders so I really scaled the size down to suit my sense of proportion.

I've quite a few details to add to the carb and engine, but wanted to give a peek at my progress.

Rick C.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Beautiful work, Rick. Look forward to all your builds but the Schwinn really catches my interest. Have always liked the straight bar frames. I used to make it a point to buy every straight bar Schwinn I could find if it was $100 or less. Used to buy a lot of them at that price but am thinking those days are gone. I had one left in the shop as a test frame for my Panther tanks and recently turned it into a kind of BMX cruiser with two speed kickback hub. Anyway, like others I will enjoy watching you create your next masterpiece.
Pat

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Pat I do recall your interest in straight bars & given your great taste in motor vehicles in general I wasn't surprised that the bikes lines please you. You have an eye for detail and proportion which show in all your Sportsman line of bikes and motorcycles.

Hope you are still staying busy with product orders and that you and family are all well.

As to my tinkering's in metal: I just work on the things which interest me, but it's nice to know that others enjoy an old guys puttering about the garage and basement.

Rick C.
V-twin case half scale.jpg
V-twi half scale case 2.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Top end basics in place, exhaust and spark plugs added. I'll start on the crankcase today. Total weight of this motor case with electric installed looks to be well under 20 lbs. total so not much heavier than a china girl though larger 12"x11"x3.5" when completed. Should nest well in either a V frame or a small loop frame.

Output 0n 48v. power 4,800 watt or 6.38 hp (1 hp =752 watt) I plan on gearing & controller to limit top speed to 40 mph.

My next V-case will be sized for a larger loop frame or unitized design frame.

Rick C.

atmospheric top end.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've mocked up several versions of this V case using various diameter plates 5", 6" & settled on 5.5" steel. Shown is the 5.5".

This will be a tight fit for the Schwinn style frame which is my retired Excelsior build from several years back that I've removed the 2 stroke from to take my measurements. I also went to 26" from 24" wheels as I never really liked the size on this frame.

Rick C.

crank case Vee scale.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I ordered another 4,800 watt motor with a bit different specs it too is a 48v. continuous rated unit, but features a little less speed and greater torque. The can is slightly larger & this promotes better cooling. Very high efficiency motor this one. We will see.
Speaking of efficiency brushless love being run at 70 percent of continuous max output. They really don't want to loaf along so gearing should take that into account. I have a 56 tooth to start with and both 12t & 14t for the motor. I'll use these to begin with but see a reduction drive as a distinct possibility. Freewheel yes probably.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Still waiting for the motor to come in so I've been working on a saddle mount for the aluminum straight bar frame reproduction and pulled the CG motor and accessories to make room for the electric twin. If my hybrid Grubee ever needs a new motor I now will have three replacement motors on the shelf and ready to go, but I've the feeling the hybrid will still be running long after I've no need for her.

Pedal side chain guard will not be used. It's a very pretty chain guard but gets in the way of chain work.

Saddle is dark chocolate color and I've had it a couple of years but just now getting around to using it it's a Rich Phillips smooth leather and most of my bikes have one of his saddles. This one has the good memory foam padding. Very high quality work and materials on all his leather products

Rick C.

Excelsior new saddle.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
V-twin will look splendid filling that frame, Rick.
Decent sized rear cog. Is that a 54T? And are those the bike's original 24" wheels or the updated 26 inchers? If you go up to 26" does that mean you'll not have room for the seat post's 'toolbox'.
Sticking with the upright bars? Or going with boardtrack bars?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Pete motor came in today so I'm getting closer. Rear sprocket is a 56t, trying to keep speed down & torque up with this a town ride. The 24 photo shows the bike with the new saddle and the 26" wheels. As you can see there is plenty of space to clear the small tool box. The tires are 2.2" width but I see no problems clearing up to 2.5" with some brands of rubber. These frames aren't huge but as I'm over 6' and the 24" wheels never felt quite right for me.

The bars are staying pretty much as shown certainly not my typical setup, but perhaps this won't bother my back on shorter hops around town. This is not meant to reflect a board bike just having fun & trying to look sporty.

Rick C.

excelsior tool box saddle.jpg
e-bike excelsior.jpg

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Handsome forks., Rick.
You and I are always on the lookout for different forks so as not to duplicate forks on any of our builds.
I'm currently watching these vintage sprung cyclemotor forks for 26" wheels doing the rounds on UK eBay right now. All set up for a front drum brake - and I have a couple of spare Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs here which would fit the bill perfectly.
I can see myself making a bid.....
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I got a pedal ride in on the Excelsior frame which is to receive the electric V-twin just to check the new chain and verify the brakes front and rear are operational. Even with the low seat height this thing pedals really nice. This setup will be extremely light weight & even with a 20 amp hr. litium battery it will be about the sane as with the China girl and a full tank of fuel. The motor case and motor will weigh under 20 lbs.! Same weight and double the power & geared down I'll bet it really pulls.

Spoiler the motor case is a very tight fit and may require a bit of height reduction 1" or so and it totally fills the space making the motor look huge in this frame. Though placed next to my 'Ol Crow V-twin it's diminutive.

Rick C.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I got a pedal ride in on the Excelsior frame which is to receive the electric V-twin just to check the new chain and verify the brakes front and rear are operational. Even with the low seat height this thing pedals really nice. This setup will be extremely light weight & even with a 20 amp hr. litium battery it will be about the sane as with the China girl and a full tank of fuel. The motor case and motor will weigh under 20 lbs.! Same weight and double the power & geared down I'll bet it really pulls.

Spoiler the motor case is a very tight fit and may require a bit of height reduction 1" or so and it totally fills the space making the motor look huge in this frame. Though placed next to my 'Ol Crow V-twin it's diminutive.

Rick C.
Oh boy, can’t wait to see that motor squeezed in !!!

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah, Rick, I'll definitely be making a bid on these forks. Auction is scheduled to end Tuesday. I'm wanting to unearth that vintage Columbia Thunderbolt girl's frame (pictured) that's been in storage here since I snagged it a couple of years back. Plan is to re-sex it using another of Jim Henderson's TRM Convertible Tanks like I used on my Decoliner build. Jim's beautiful grp tanks preclude the use of forks such as conventional springers on account of how the front of the tank protrudes forwards ahead of the steerer tube. I reckon those vintage cyclemotor forks will fit the bill perfect. Looking to build a simple pedal bicycle - with the option of an electric hub motor I've seen which has the controller hidden in the hub.
columbia thunderbolt.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah, Rick, I'll definitely be making a bid on these forks. Auction is scheduled to end Tuesday. I'm wanting to unearth that vintage Columbia Thunderbolt girl's frame (pictured) that's been in storage here since I snagged it a couple of years back. Plan is to re-sex it using another of Jim Henderson's TRM Convertible Tanks like I used on my Decoliner build. Jim's beautiful grp tanks preclude the use of forks such as conventional springers on account of how the front of the tank protrudes forwards ahead of the steerer tube. I reckon those vintage cyclemotor forks will fit the bill perfect. Looking to build a simple pedal bicycle - with the option of an electric hub motor I've seen which has the controller hidden in the hub.
View attachment 107680
That's a nice frame and plan Pete hope you win the auction on the forks.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Oh boy, can’t wait to see that motor squeezed in !!!
I couldn't either Danny so I worked late last evening and finally got to a point of mock mounting with a zip tie. Terrible lighting but gives one an idea that it fits, but only just, vertically and fills up the rest of the void. These photos will have to do for now as I need the case off for fitting the electric motor mounts and the case to frame mounts as well and for finish welding the case.

I removed the CG pedestal frame motor mount with the angle grinder to make room. The wide pedal levers will be replaced with straight levers as the motor case is so narrow (3.25") I plan on adding a back rack with leather bags. It appears that I will be able to run a single chain on the motor drive line.

The motor shaft is 10mm diameter. It seems I'm blessed with never having chain issues on any of my bikes, except on the pedal side, so I'll continue using #41 till forced to use heavier metal. However I'll use a quality Diamond brand for this one although I've used a lot of KMC chain in the past on my highest powered bikes with no problems.

Rick C.

Schwinn X V twin 1.jpg
schwinn x 2.jpg