Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Danny. I'll be working on a mounting plate for the scooter motor today. The photo shows how compact the brushless motors are. There are 8 threaded mounting holes on the face of their case and locating the precise position of each of these holes on an aluminum plate is my project this morning. This completed plate and motor will then be bolted to the V-twin motor case on the output side of the steel motor housing. This side of the case will be completely welded & the opposite case side plates are removable for interior case access.

The electric motor is vented on the back side (pedal chain side) only so venting is required on this removable plate. The motor case is completely open on the bottom for cooling as well. If I encounter heating issues I've room to tube wrap the motor for liquid cooling, the aluminum fuel tank would make a great coolant tank. I don't see cooling as a big issue however I've reasoned appropriate responses if heat becomes a big problem.

Going with high power and small motor case size is new to me, but my other electric projects have certainly equipped me to expect some difficulties. I've studied the electric scooter scene and found the weight of the best high performance models to be between 70 and 100 lbs. unloaded. Not unlike that of cruiser style CG equipped moto bikes. Power to weight of a kit bike is miniscule compared to that of a 2500 watt electric so I'd think 4800 watts even more impressive. Torque on the electrics is huge. Compact size yet long on performance. The premium scooters are heavy and fast 40 to over 50 mph fast on tiny wheels. Same with the skateboard setups, only much lighter in weight. I mention speed only as reference points; my performance goals are still high torque & relatively modest top speed of around 40 mph..

I'll be playing with several battery and controller setups as well. Gearing comparisons between 10" or 12" wheel size and 26" bike size is sketchy in my mind at this point, but starting with 56 tooth on the rear and 12 tooth up front will determine if a reduction drive is required to lower the ratio. I'd not think raising the final drive ratio is even a thing.

Rick C.

4.8 kw scooter motor.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steel crank case welded up, except for the frame mount tabs and I'll wait till my 11/8" and 1". tube clamps arrive. One order cancelled because delivery to a Ca. address and I'm in Indian Territory (no ocean front property here) but I've other stuff somewhere between here and China still moving about....no need to rush it seems, or worry.

I ordered another motor controller today as well. It's a VESC open source that I've been meaning to give a try. It's quite small compared to most e-bike controllers which can't handle half the amps and this one is fully configurable up to 60 volts and 175 amps. I'm thinking it will go into the "Old Crow build & make it a really intelligent old bird. I really don't like the controller I have mounted in it.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ordering stuff from Bangood in my experience is so sketchy but I keep doing it
Delivery time is typically either long or really long and weeks rather than days with the occasional months. I'm patient and that works in their favor I suppose.

Is Alibabba any quicker?

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
My story is similar to Steve's. Everything I've ever ordered from Alibaba or AliExpress has shipped via air (invariably post free) and has been delivered to me in the UK quickly or reasonably quickly in my experience. Mostly, items turn up faster than the advised postal times. Biggest plus in these companies favour is I'm never hit with extortionate import charges. Only rarely, on larger items such as the drop loop frame I ordered last year, have I had to pay import taxes. And even then, the nominal tax I paid was calculated on the grossly under-declared value of the item sent from the Orient.

eBay is full of chancers re-selling the exact same goods these Oriental manufacturers/sellers offer. It's just that you'll have to pay two or three times the price - often plus postage - for the pleasure of buying from within your own shores.

On UK eBay I've noticed the trend is shifting towards 'drop shipping', with many Far Eastern sellers setting up warehouses full of China-made goods. Not just the usual gaudy, plastic crap. Several cnc'd alloy components I've recently ordered for my latest build have shipped direct from within the UK and I've received them within three or four days. eg; a Vincent-style STOP/tail lamp and side-mount license plate costing a mere 17 quid showed up after four days. You just need to be careful when ordering from such sellers that they actually are in the UK - and not just partial to randomly displaying the UK's Union Jack flag in their adverts.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nice summation Pete. I've just the one order in with Bangood at the moment and have confirmation so I wait. My fortune with ordering bike parts over the last two decades has been quite positive so I suspect old age is working on my patience!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Motor mount plated cut out and drilled. I used two 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum to mount the e motor to and bolt all to the 12 gauge steel case. I don't think it's going to flex any.
After much research and thought I've decided not to run a reduction gear just rely on 5 to one direct drive and lots of amps to get rolling. Neither the bike nor me are very heavy so the worst that can happen is I might have to add reduction gearing after a test ride and I've plenty of experience in that particular fabrication.

All in all coming together ok to this point.

Rick C.