Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
No such thing as hi-jack on this thread Pete. Friends sharing bits of life is a part of what I hope this forum promotes.

I'm thankful for the great news regarding your wife.

As to e-mail notification of thread activity. In the past it's been spotty for some of the threads I participate in, but recently it's been quite good. I've never understood the fluctuations just waited them out.

Natural gas prices are of concern $4. gas went to $4,000. over the last ten days. One Texas resident received a gas bill (residential) of over $13,000. on his monthly bill. This also effects electric billing as gas is the primary fuel for electric generation during this crisis (wind generators froze up) so we are looking to require a government bailout to pay for the price gouging. My gas bill was $69. last month. If I get a bill in the thousands it won't get paid. I'm adamant about not getting screwed by fuel providers. I'd say most retired folks couldn't pay even a one time $500. gas bill and also eat and pay for meds. Forget rent and other bills.

I've been blessed and am debt free. I own my home and believe in paying my bills on time every time, but this gouging isn't right...for anyone!

Rick C.
Yes the only way to live, I have been after lake place sale, now to get ride of excess baggage I collected..........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sad but true pricing Pete. Not in every state Texas is the worst pricing, Oklahoma and La.among the worst also. Those who opted for our version of the plan you described are locked in at the fixed price, the rest of us are screwed unless the legislature gets involved...then we may all be screwed or at best twisted. The spot market for natural gas is what our rates are based on by current law and delivery charges are added and they can't be increased without state approval. Spot market is traded as a commodity future.

Sucks to be us right now. There I've vented twice today so I'm good for a few months. Lol

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Interesting read Tom. Cheers for the link.
Calling for an investigation into what happened? Save their money. You just know they're gonna say the fault was due to a 'one in a hundred year' weather glitch.
Meanwhile, in Feb here in the UK we're forecast to have high temps akin to Summer for the next few days. Screwy weather - good or bad - is fast becoming the norm here, and everywhere else. In just the last decade the UK has seen snow, heatwaves and, particularly torrential rain and flooding, bring misery to many on a far more regular basis than ever before. These last ten years. I've lost count of the times the UK weather statistics have said 'Hottest...' 'Coldest...' 'Wettest... since records began'.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Tom the link you provided is as good an explanation as I've read. Here in Oklahoma we are regulated differently, but still subject to supply and demand pricing of fuel, but our corporation commission has the power to spread any increased fuel costs out for the consumer over many months of billing, rather than on one invoice. My next bill will be higher of course because I used more gas during the recent cold, but not the heavy hit that some Texans are facing. Fuel cost basics will be higher for me in the coming months however to cover the 10 day extraordinary fuel costs incurred. It might take years to balance the books over market gouging by the gas speculators.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
In our previous home which was quite rural, and used LPG for heat. LPG is market priced commodity. We learned to buy estimated futures at lowest annual price. Big lump sum and always bet on extreme cold weather. We never shorted and saved bigly.
Electric was a whole different thing. Being so rural, we paid more to support infrastructure that served very few.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
We also ran LPG many years ago living on the ranch Tom. No pipelines or electric power lines in those days. We also had overhead tanks for gasoline &. diesel. Tank trucks serviced all three. Plus we stored barrels of white gas and had both coal and wood stored up for the pot belly stove and large baking oven. LPG range was for daily cooking the big oven only used for large gatherings. Refrigerator was also LPG powered.

Canned goods in the storm cellar and walk in pantry. Family of six didn't worry about having to shop a week at a time. We could hold out for many weeks if required. Flour, sugar, coffee & salt all bulk. Well water was hand pumped. Good days those.

65 degrees yesterday afternoon and yes I got out and rode light wind felt great to exercise on the red bike; it pedals good for a single speed, but the added resistance without assistance is a nice workout for old legs that needed using after the storm. I went a full week without riding any and I'd say that's the longest I've gone without a ride of some duration, long or brief, in more than fifteen years.

Rick C.