Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
All super suggestions guys. I did get "Wally World Red" up and running today. I ran about 3miles total & spotted some issues. The front hub worked great and that is always a relief on any motor setup gas or electric and comprises a large chunk of any bike projects budget. I'm glad I went with 36v. as it has adequate power I'd think 25 mph is a realistic expectation, even with two batteries the bike is still on the light side. Two batteries, bags, rack and hub motor add about 30 lbs. to the Cranbrook. Though I left very few components from the department store carton bike in place they all have to go. One piece crank set is a joke, as is the headset, chain and pedals. I need much longer pedal levers and then the saddle can be raised. Though I like the look of the leather saddle I hate everything else about it. Good news is I have an extra bobber solo saddle on the shelf. I need to fab a post mount bracket for it however. I also think I have a mountain bike dropper post that may fit the seat tube.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Bike and scoot look great Tony and thanks for your offer of help. You're the man on electrics! I see you are making some high end packs available & hope that's a huge success. The e bike, cycle & scoot industry is booming and the top of these markets seem to be where money is to be made. The low end is kina' saturated with offerings currently.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I adjusted some things and upgraded the headset, and rode a few miles. Feels like a different bike from the one I rode yesterday, much better feel but still needs some of the mods I mentioned. I raised the saddle and bars which is a stop gap measure but it helped quite a bit. Even though it's an upright riding position it's really intended primarily for short rides about town . I think my back can take it. The short wheelbase, compared to most of my bikes, will take some getting used to as well.

Rick C.

wally world red.jpg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Rick, does your Brookes wanna be have a screw adjustable I call it backbone to allow the nose and rear bow?
My B190, backbone level to the ground was hard to stay on, and brutal prostate massager. While I had the saddle off to make the improved mounting saddle clamps. I took note of a tension adjustment feature of this Touring Saddle that did not exist on Brookes racing saddles. Which one Broke in. Anecdotally, my folk backyard neighbor Bill Cooper came over to visit one day and asked if he could take my 1965 Schwinn Varsity 10 speed for a try out. Off he went, and he wasn't gone long.
Dismounting he declared, " Tommy, now I know why you ride these bikes. It feels so good when you get off".
That was with a Broke in Brookes. See if you can soften the backbone tension, also tilt the saddle 15 or more degrees nose high to transfer your weight to the broadest section of the saddle. Oh what a difference it makes.
DSCN0963.JPG

Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Tom for posting the photo of your Sportsman. I never tire of seeing it and I definitely don't have my saddle set using as much angle. I'll adjust & try this. I do think it will improve the ride. The adjustments of saddle height & setback coupled with having longer pedal levers has helped a great deal so your suggestion for altering the seat angle may improve my attitude regarding the knockoff Brooks I'd really like to stay with this saddle on this budget build and save the expensive bobber saddle for another bike.

The longer pedal levers are also one piece from a Walmart bike and function really well, though I plan to eventually change out for cartridge bearings and three piece crank set with Schwinn bow tie pedals.

Looks like this simple DIY e-bike can ride and function well basically as it was imagined. I'd say for those wanting to try a first e-bike and have an old frame in hand, $400. plus a couple of hours could have you up and running a hub kit, using one 36v. lithium pack. Not much of an "initial" investment to verify what the buzz is about electric bikes.

Cold weather moved in over night ant this week looks to be indoor focused.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Guys adjusting the seat angle works great, puts the weight where it belongs & allows the springs to work properly . Feels good now. Thanks again for the tip.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Rick, did you look to see if the saddle leather can be untentioned ? ie not be so hard. The little bit of slackening in the saddle leather was like instant break in. The other day I gave my cheapy from Lynne a second look. One can untention the leather, but the steel rod frame is right there. Only thing that saddle is good for is art.
Bull's Head, 1942 by Pablo Picasso

1612827670506.png

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I actually like much of Pablo's art & this piece reflects the Latin passion for man's battle with the bull. I very much like this simple work.

I didn't see an adjustment but this saddle has lots of hours of riding time and is certainly broken in. Actually rides pretty good now that I've made the adjustments already noted.

Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Snow has stopped and warmup has begun, Next ten days no precip. and warmer every day! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have any broken water pipes when things thaw out.

118 yr. old Oklahoma/Indian territory records broken with this event.

Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was just reading that we can expect more of this in the future. The Polar Vortex happens all the time but the weather to the South of the Arctic Circle held it in place. Now that is weakening it can push past it and reach further South.

We can probably expect more of this in the winter months. It was into the single digits here Fahrenheit for a few nights but now it's above 32F and in the mid to upper 40's F during the day.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I was just reading that we can expect more of this in the future. The Polar Vortex happens all the time but the weather to the South of the Arctic Circle held it in place. Now that is weakening it can push past it and reach further South.

We can probably expect more of this in the winter months. It was into the single digits here Fahrenheit for a few nights but now it's above 32F and in the mid to upper 40's F during the day.

Steve.
That's not good news, sorta back were it was years ago.