Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
There may be on occasion beverages consumed that have spent their earlier life in large tanks aging before being released in smaller amounts to a grateful public however they never influence the outcome of the build.

Creative staring on the other hand tends to sway the final outcome as one participants creative staring is used by another participant to build on using their creative staring. Spirited discussions often ensue until a mutual decision is reached.

It is most interesting when there is just one person involved.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep for sure, haven't had any spirits for 21 years. Ya one need to get it out in the open and stand back and stare .......Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I can picture you in my mind's eye doing some "creative staring" at your bike, perhaps with a cup of coffee... not so much thinking about anything in particular, just taking it in, running your eyes over the lines of the bike and letting it tell you what it wants to be and how it wants to look. Listening with your eyes, you might say... what I call "creative staring".
SB
Great to hear from you SB. I've adopted "creative staring" as as a descriptive statement since I first encountered it in one of your classic posts a few years back. In practice I combine black coffee as my only stimulant, though I'm not intolerant (in concept) to the introduction of a spiritual stimulant of the aged in charred oak variety,moderately applied, neat and no more than three fingers in quantity per creative session...else the process be interpreted by my family female wardens as a form of Celtic debauchery, rather than artistry.
Steve I really see the saddle as a black Messinger boardie from Pat, but won't entirely rule out using the black solo saddle I showed mounted awhile back, but mounted four or five inches forward. I'll get a better feel for some of these things after the tank comes in. Having the tank in place will really frame the "chuckle head" engine mods as well as conceal all of the overhead view of the motor. Even though the engine sits quite low to the ground due to the keystone cradle I want to keep everything else...bars, saddle as low as possible. Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The constructor is recently departed, an ex-parrot. Somebody may have it and be amenable to friendly dollars ;)

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm certain the bike will look great and feel right to you no matter what direction you take Rick. I think in a public forum like this we like to explain ourselves or the thought process so that others can see where we're going and give feedback. In your case it's also an information resource for newer builders or builders trying to expand their skill sets so it's really appreciated.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I'm certain the bike will look great and feel right to you no matter what direction you take Rick. I think in a public forum like this we like to explain ourselves or the thought process so that others can see where we're going and give feedback. In your case it's also an information resource for newer builders or builders trying to expand their skill sets so it's really appreciated.
AMEN! I second that, and don't have to be the exact copies, Just so you are satisfied. That is the main thing................Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Curtis and Steve I try quite a few ideas that just don't work out on each bike. I usually don't post photos of my failures or even mention them in my posts, not because I'm ashamed that my ideas sometimes don't work out, but actually don't want to bore followers with the process of failure. When you try different ideas and they don't work out your actually are one step closer to a solution. Often a design works well but looks hinky so it goes on the idea scrap pile...later, perhaps, to be resurrected for another project. I'd suggest that patience is key to successful design and construction; that and trusting your own "educated instincts" of what actally constitutes a realistic period look and feel. Perhaps that detail never existed on any motor bike cerca 1900 & something, but it could have and it works and looks like it maybe should have been engineered into a bike built by one of the early factories...go ahead and try it. What's to loose but a bit of time. This is really all about forming good ideas and allocating sufficient time to develop these same ideas into your own great bike designs, or whatever one sets their abilities to accomplish. Build on and keep having fun. Happy New Year. I'm off for a ride. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Harold back from my ride and visits along the way sweater weather here with zero wind and light overcast just about perfect took the Simplex and even took time for a few photos along the way, just enjoying being alive mostly. I enjoy the build but the ride is the cherry on top and I ride a lot more than I build...keeps an old guy feeling more youthful especially when pretty young ladies ask to photograph the Copper Gator in front of the coffee shop, yes very youthful feeling indeed. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Awesome Rick! Glad the OK weather is treating you nice. It's actually been warm enough to spend a couple hours in the garage here but it's certainly not riding weather for anyone but the truly hardcore. I'll bet the attention at the coffee shop made you blush (Ha!). Positive feedback from strangers is a bonus. I know that riding a retro bike tends to generate a lot of smiles and waves and sharing the joy just feels good. Nice pictures too.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Harold it's back to winter here in Indian Territory, but it was extraordinary to have an extension to our Fall. Also weather not withstanding I'm pretty much a sucker for complements, especially coming from pretty women & no blushing required. Though it was thirty or so yesterday I ran errands on my Grubee based boardie style CG and dressed accordingly it wasn't too bad. I'll estimate I've close to 9,000 miles on the frame and 7,500 on the double stroker ...no problems to date and still starts effortlessly on only the second plug ever installed. Original clutch components and I pull from dead stops without pedaling (48 tooth) guess you could say I'm a great fan of these oft maligned little engines but I'm currently running three bikes with built CG's & they are serving well. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Butch & thanks. Base is set at 53" currently but can adjust to 54.5". It seems that the stock frame measured about 48"? I believe the Rick S. Simplex stretch build is about the same. I'm very satisfied with the way it looks but more importantly it rides and handles great especially when cruising above 40 mph. Also since mine is layed out in the board track style the added length helps relieve the cramped feel that a shorter wheelbase bike might demonstrate. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sounds like a good plan if you start with solid and straight frame, which I didn't have so had to scratch build the entire frame except the steering head. What are you powering it with? Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Four inches of snow overnight and1degree wind chill. Inside for sure and ordering parts for future builds. 212 Predator in hand and have a 1" steer tube curved leg fork on order to base a girder style, leaf spring fork project around. Harold and Wret renewed my interest in the classic leaf suspension so I've also placed an order for a five leaf 1,250 lb pack. It measures 25.5"in length which I intend to cut down to 13". I like the look of the five layer pack as it has a nice curvature from the fabricator. There is a hanger eye as well and 1,250lb. is the lightest rated utility trailer size I've spotted.

I have not yet ordered a 3D manual clutch for the Predator, that's what I'm planning on using along with a 135 mm sportsman pedal frame this time using Pat's wide pedal bottom bracket and gear reduction. Not sure when I will start the new Indian build, but I want the Harley Peashooter Keystone closer to completion first. I'll for certain start a new thread for the Old guys Indian build when I come to that point.

I should see the fuel tank come in soon for the Harley and that should spur me to increased activity on my current build. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, I've often wondered about using a new buggy seat spring for the forks. Most of the springs I looked at were just two leaves thick but they could be stacked to get the required thickness. Wondered what your thoughts were.

Glad you got some riding time in before the weather closed in.

Steve.