Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Steve. No love from the Dr. it seems I'm restricted at this point to light movement & rest so no car show, not even a short visit. I'm hoping to spend a couple of hours a day in the shop next week to work on the Keystone cradle, but we'll see. In the mean time I'm refining my cradle basics with cardboard and scissors.
I am however planning on entering the Copper Gator Simplex & the Peashooter Harley Flyer as well in at least two Fall shows that typically feature a large number of great, high dollar motorcycle builds. Crowd reaction to my "theme driven" moto bicycles will be interesting to watch... that's certain, especially those who ride mass production bikes & have "me too", "bought not built" & single manufacturer loyalty "issues". I may include one of my China girl "Indian" bikes and it's trailer as well. Both of those two show promoters have gone out of their way to encourage me to do so after having seen the Copper Gator recently. Of course more entry fees for them lol. I like the shows just don't take them serious anymore, but still really like visiting with the enthusiasts and exhibitors.
Extremely mild 7 wet Spring now turning to a typical hot Indian Territory Summer, thank God for air conditioning.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick. If your in the hands of an M.D. and not a Chiropractor it's a serious bad back not just a, it hurts, and I need an adjustment. Certainly hope it heals up quickly and you can get back to the bikes.

I'd be willing to bet that the bikes will pull crowds at a show. The show promoters are trying to get some different bikes in as a draw I'm sure just to get away from the same old, same old that seems to take over so many shows after a few years.

The creators create and those with no skills or desire to build their own, purchase and talk like they built it or at least are best friends with the builder. At times referred to as 1-800- I have a credit card builds if they did put a wrench to it.

It will be interesting to hear what the public says about the bikes. It will be admiration for sure and listening to people try and figure out just how you did different things to the bikes will be enlightening and perhaps entertaining as well.

Heal quickly and well.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Steve, I know you're aware of the discovery, remedy & recovery process so many thanks! It's an old injury that I've grown "comfortable" with & I'll soldier on.

My Simplex Copper Gator has become a local favorite & a draw to travelers at the local coffee shop which I frequent. Many photos are taken, questions asked & praise given. Photos don't capture the dimensions & effect of all the design elements which, when combined, strike a cord with actual observers. I'm pleased to share the Gator with others, so a couple of shows are planned for the Fall. I'd have no trouble getting a couple of guys from the shop take her & a couple of trucks as entries should I be unable to do so.

My HD Peashooter will make some progress even if I'm forced to conscript some shop help for the actual fabrication. I can still design & cut out templates in paper that can be transferred to steel! I'm still going to have fun...regardless!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Has anyone tried using the 3 D Motor Sport manual clutch on the 3/4" shaft Honda clones? Positive points compression braking, rightnow engagement, bump starts, no stall
setup etc. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This recovery reminds me of the 4 months I spent with no build progress to show for it during the Simplex Copper Gator construction...hope to be back working on the Harley "Peashooter" sooner than that! Shop has been so busy that I can't justify pulling even one guy off customer work at this point to fabricate the motor cradle etc....trying to be patient! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Glorious 4th. to all!

Thanks for the best wishes, they help...as well as posting the absolute beauty of a Indian/Marion style frame. I've a long held opinion that Billy Lane is among the very top American builders & now that he has taken up the torch of building frames for board trackers & is installing vintage engines for board track racing in them; he's now my man.

Billy has a very nice collection of antique racing bikes & engines (waiting for a frame). Billy claims there are many more engines in existence than original frames, therefore his reasoning to build BT style (not replica) frames to mount them in & giving the motors a second life to run in. Complete BT bikes include an original Pope & one of 12 known factory sponsored HD Peashooter (overhead valve) flat tracker/board track machines ...both running and completely original etc. He is fully vested in not only building frames for original motors but in restoring these engines & then racing them! This Fall 2016 he's promoting a vintage race & the list of notables racing their "trackers" is quite large.

My hat is off to Chopper's Inc., board track, master builder, Billy Lane...may history live in his racing recreations! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Old guy checking in & report my back etc. seem to be improving despite my very best efforts to screw the healing process royally. I took the Gator out for a short ride yesterday & managed to drop both her and me in the process! No damage to rider or bike...not even my ego, as there were no witnesses to my poor riding skills and my even worse judgement in riding while trying to heal up. I'll not attempt another ride until my body is ready.

I'm really enjoying keeping track of all the build activity on the forum, including upgrades to previous builds. Some very creative work! Keep building and having fun.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Healing a bit so decided to build the Peashooter engine cradle at home & stay out of the way of the shop help. I'm limited tool wise here & my little 130 amp, 110V flux wire welder is only used to tack the fab pieces in place & I'll finish weld at a latter date. Pretty ugly at this point, but will clean up nice toward the end of the build. Something I'd like to point out is that you don't have to spend a lot of money on tools in order to build a nice ride if you put your mind and a bit of effort into your project. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Few photos of sizing the 5 speed engine to cradle, in frame. The motor stand is set to a mid range height, but engine height street sitting will be approximately 2" higher than is shown. Also the motor will tilt forward a slight amount to achieve a level position, when bolted in. Just like on the Simplex Copper Gator, it barely fits.

All round tube (1" DOM) joints are sleeved with 7/8" DOM tube & will be plug welded as well & a 3/16" thick gusset added at the bottom straddle tube & down tube connection. Square tube slip joints secured with two grade 8 cross bolt fasteners front & rear.

The engine cradle will have three points of motor connection at front, bottom and rear. The bikes frame tubes will support the engine from the motors factory - 3 top mount locations which are perfectly triangulated top, front and rear. I'll weld only one engine support tab to the lower side of the lower straddle tube and use Harley clamps for motor support on the down tube and seat tube. This engine design makes it easy to securely mount to a bike frame that's been modified to provide enough space.

As the photos show the cradle side plates (not yet fabricated) will conceal the square tube cradle at the front of the frame, but for strength & mount connections will run the length of the cradle.

It's all good to this point. Just stating to have fun! Rick C.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Another good looking build Rick. Watch that back! My dad is working through PT for his surgery and that's something to avoid (surgery that is). I've had my share of back problems as well and know they can put a stop to fun altogether. Take it easy but do your PT so you can still be riding as long as you want to be.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for your thoughtfulness Harold. I'm also liking the progress on your build, leaf fork is looking great. I pray your father a great & speedy recovery.

Photos show paper templates for both the seat tube & down tube connections at the straddle tube...plus the front section of the engine cradle side plates. I usually fabricate in paper then transfer to metal, in this case 3/16" steel for both grommets and cradle plate. For the photos I stuck the fabricated pieces on the frame with 200 mph tape.

When the cradle is complete & bolted into place the square tube will not be visible at the down tube connection & the engine & cradle will ride 2" higher than in these photos. I'll also trim the side plates later. I'll use a small flat jack to lift the motor & support it and the cradle while bolting the assembly to frame. The square slip joints are 1 1/4" male on the down tube which inserts into the female 1 1/2" tube on the engine cradle. The engine will be bolted to the cradle at two points front and rear. The three other motor mounts will bolt to the round tubes of the frame at 3 points. I've still quite a lot to do to the cradle, forks & frame before starting on the engine and drive train.

Remember that for the time being only the frame, cradle, forks & engine will be used on the Peashooter wheels, saddle, bars etc. are just there for sizing etc. More to come. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks guys! The back is just an ongoing aggravation that I'll have to deal with.

Found a photo on Ebay that I took a screen shot of. Shows Jim Davis, AMA hall of fame legend, astride a 1925 Harley Keystone flat track factory team bike. I mentioned the "half Harleys" in a previous post which were originally V-twins but in order to race in the 500cc class one jug of the engine was pulled and plugged. In this photo the front jug was removed. These half Harley singles were extremely competitive in the same time frame as the HD OHV peashooter bikes, which raced first in the 350cc class but in late 1924 a 500cc peashooter was raced by the factory riders in A class which was the professional division. The big Peashooter single was also very competitive for years.

The Keystone cradle of this bike is the look I'd like to borrow & modify to some extent in my present HD Peashooter tribute build.

In addition to A class pros there was a C class for amateur riders that didn't have the factories as backers & basically tried to copy the big boys with old frames modified with the best engines they could build. A frame & tank from a 1915 HD, matched to perhaps a 1922 HD motor & raced year after year during the entire decade of the twenties. They usually couldn't stay on the same lap with the pros but raced hard to gain honors in class & maybe stay on the lead lap in a short qualifier race with a pro like Jim Davis...just for bragging rights with the local boys.

That 1920's C class feel is what I'm shooting for in my HD Peashooter. 1915 style frame and tank, homemade upgrade to a Keystone cradle with a Pro stance...matched to HD turn down bars and low slung saddle. Some of these amateurs drove to the track on their daily transports so brakes of the coaster or drum type would be found on these along with a kick starter.

Of course my little 125cc push rod, 5 speed engine though designed 4 decades ago is still pretty modern in comparison to the OHV peashooter single, but I'll be working on that as well. Rick C.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't know how you're really going to "antiquate" the engine unless you put dummy pushrod tubes on the outside with a fake rocker cover at the top. External studs added on as well might help.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
In reality you do understand the direction I'll be taking the motor Ludwig. Aluminum rocker covers, brass push rod tubes & brass acorns. To which I'll add a distinctive short exhaust on the clutch side of the bike, dumping under the motor case (baffled}, black jug, handmade air cleaner, ditch the bright silver motor paint and go cast finish on the inner motor cases and brushed aluminum on the outer cases. I'll not be trying to pass the motor off as an authentic HD of course so the push rod tubes will be on the shift lever side of the motor. The outer case on this side of the engine will get a good deal of rework as well. I'm wanting double takes and what the ****'s from observers of the little power plant as well as satisfying my own vision of the twenties era amateur/county fair flat track racer.

At least this is my current thinking on the matter. Having fun in Indian Territory! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Still pecker wooding along at the Old Guy's pace. The Keystone cradle has been fun & I'm still not finished with it by quite some...though it's coming along nicely. It's all steel like the original Harley's and weighs exactly 10 lbs. glad that weights down low. No worries I'll have plenty of power from the 125 cc 5 speed... as I've seen from the Copper Gator & this frame is much lighter than the Simplex stretch I used for the Gator.

I'm still just tack welding the fabricated pieces & will finish weld when it all fits together for a harmonious outcome.

The bikes are screen shots of a road frame (board track configuration) & a factory Keystone peashooter for comparison. The road bike motor connection appears a bit fragile in comparison. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
First order of business was a pair of plates to serve as engine cradle/bike frame supports. I'd posted sometime back that my cradle would be flat on the bottom ( to keep the engine from rolling over) but neglected to state what that would look like in practice. The plates are 6" x 8" - 3/8th. thick and bolt to the cradle using 2 of the cross bolt holes. As you can see this is a simple way to also securely support the bike while working on the frame with or without the engine in place.

The plates won't be used as foot pads or for ground effects...training wheel attachment etc., but the cradle might be useful as a sidecar attachment point...hmm. Rick C.

Attachments