Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I like the size of the Virago as well. Out of the box not super strong but I'm told it muscles up pretty easily when allowed to breathe...fat cam, exhaust, carb & port work, but my racing days are behind me so adequate cruising speed is really what I'm searching for...70 to 75 mph with adequate reserve power on tap for the occasional burst to get outta their way. Air cooled is also a plus for me & it's proven to be reasonably reliable and economical as well. I'm really leaning in Yamaha's direction on this one.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,

My son has a 2008 250cc Yamaha and he has ridden it for 17 months from Vermont all over Mexico and Central and South America to Uruguay where he has stored it for a year while he's home working. So far he's replaced the fuel pump which is a know problem and the stator which is all so a factory defect.

The bike has been unbeatable for all this time and David is one of those "Where does this goat trail go?" riders. It does say a lot about Yamaha toughness. So far it's 31,00 miles.

Steve.

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the input on the Yamaha. 31,000 miles is impressive as I've spent much time in the areas he's ridden (much of mine on foot) I'd not been aware of the "common" problem areas of the little V Star, but it's what I need to know prior to diving in with real time and money only to have to redesign later in the build. I actually did that with the Copper Gator if you recall, having purchased a 150 cc which never showed up & changing to the 125 cc CG as a result. At least I wasn't very deep into the build at the time. I'm still liking the prospects of a 250 cc Virago V twin in my next build. Meanwhile still putting the finishing touches on the Simplex. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Rick,

Just went back through your thread because it gives me the warm and fuzzies to see your builds. I used to strip chrome and nickel plating from antique copper and brass items and buff them and all that copper on the Copper Gator is wonderful. The hammered finish is frosting on the cake.

I remember you not getting an engine. So far I've dodged that bullet but it's coming and it has my name on it I'm sure. I'll ask my son about the 250 Virago V twin. He has wicked talents as a welder fabricator and he is heavily involved in Toyota 4x4's and motorcycles.

His bike is a 250 single and the 31,000 is just from this trip. The bike has just under 47,000 miles. Unheard of in my day.

Good to hear that you were in that area where he was. You know what he saw and I just viewed through his videos. In one he had to pull off the trail because there were horses coming the other way and he pulled up onto the hillside to let them pass. The other side of the trail had a drop of hundreds of feet and the path was literally a yard wide. I had to force myself to watch it.

I watch daily to see what's new on your thread but I don't post very often. Never seems to be much I can add.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve as I posted about a month ago that your Tadpole build/thread is amazing & the level of input/encouragement you've received from SB, Curtis, Tinsmith etc. is also inspiring to those of us who follow builds. I welcome input & not just of the positive variety. It makes me stop & think why did I do that or could I have simplified by...?

78,000 miles that's like how many overhauls of a 50's era classic V twin (insert the manufacturer's name)? I know your justifiably proud of your Son & his adventures in the South Americas. The Andes have various well know stretches of "roadways" of death. Then there are those local back roads that are truly terrifying to even the most adventurous of foreign travelers, just another walk to the locals. Lovely vistas though if you take your eyes off the pathways.

I'm still looking for another Simplex frame to modify, but a drop loop from Pat is also in the back of my mind as well. His Bonneville's are long wheel base & proven stability/strength wise. I need to contact him about his thoughts and get loop dimensions to understand what I'm getting into. I'm not in a hurry, just looking at options. The Virago is looking like my power/transmission choice for a V-twin. Just won't consider a vertical twin for this one.

I'm still following the Tadpole. It's looking museum quality for sure & as the value continues to climb on the remaining few original Indians; your investment of time and resources appear to be quite astute.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,

Thank you. I am now beginning to see the bike through other peoples eyes. To me it's been the annoying lump in the garage that is never quite as perfect as I want but so much fun at the same time.
Plotting, planning and creative staring have been a large part of the joy.

I keep hoping that someone will say that you shouldn't do this or that. So far all I have had is my Son telling me that my welding is getting better as I go along. Encouraging but it does add to the pucker/fear factor until Silverbear and I get some miles on them.

Silverbear, Curt and Tinsmith have indeed been a constant in the build. I hope that every ones faith will be rewarded soon as this bike gets finished.

My next build will be an early Indian with sidecar based on Pat's frame, motor mount and pedals with jackshaft and a 212 engine. Well though out and engineered frame and components and race proven.

I have often wondered if some one saw the tri car and made an offer would I sell it.

When I was wheeling and dealing old cars in the early sixties I stopped into a farm where I saw a Model A sitting in the yard. I asked the old lad if it was for sale and he looked at me pretty hard for a few seconds and then smiled and told me everything had a price except his dog.

I bought the car and I'll have to wait to see about the bike. Everything has a price but I'll have to think about the dog for a while.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Patiently waiting, with your bad knee and all the delays. Still coming along good in spite of that. Every time you post i go back through your pictures and drool over it. Glad to see you making some progress ................Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick,

Thank you. I am now beginning to see the bike through other peoples eyes. To me it's been the annoying lump in the garage that is never quite as perfect as I want but so much fun at the same time.
Plotting, planning and creative staring have been a large part of the joy.

I keep hoping that someone will say that you shouldn't do this or that. So far all I have had is my Son telling me that my welding is getting better as I go along. Encouraging but it does add to the pucker/fear factor until Silverbear and I get some miles on them.

Silverbear, Curt and Tinsmith have indeed been a constant in the build. I hope that every ones faith will be rewarded soon as this bike gets finished.

My next build will be an early Indian with sidecar based on Pat's frame, motor mount and pedals with jackshaft and a 212 engine. Well though out and engineered frame and components and race proven.

I have often wondered if some one saw the tri car and made an offer would I sell it.

Steve.
Steve along with area 51, U.F.O.'s & that lump in your garage I'm starting to see that "I am not alone" that there might be alien forces (though friendly) at work in my cluttered garage. If I continue to supply "them" with left over & diverse bits and pieces of arcane devices perhaps "they" will complete my unfinished projects. I do worry that one might become the next "Christine"!

A sidecar "Indian Flyer" with a Predator engine would look sweet sitting next to the photo of your completed Tadpole & it's proud new owner; the wealthy oil baron from Texas.

Remember cash talks, B.S. walks & the wise man never runs a tab or walks one either. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,

Every time I walk into the garage I start warning the magic elves that their continued employment is in danger since they didn't show up again. Like Rodney Dangerfield I don't get any respect.

I'm chuckling at the thought of the U.F.O.'s new owner being a wealthy Texas oil baron.

I've mentioned this before but to complete everything I want to do with motor bikes I'll have to live to be a 110 in perfect health and win a large lottery.

I understand about the garage. We have a "temporary" portable garage beside the house that was put up in the fall of 2007.

When my nephew returned from Afghanistan he bought a new Dodge Challenger Hemi and a 1946 Chevy 2 ton truck that he took apart and I did the body work on. It's still in parts in the tent and you can't get into the building for bike parts, truck parts and all the mess that the rest of the family has pushed in there.

Like Allen Wrench said it's liberating to start tossing things out and I intend to, just as soon as I've bought everything I need.

Cash is king but the man with the 1905 Indian Tri Car wears the crown.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Anybody want a classic but little known British guitar ampifier? Phoenix PHA-1, I am besieged by amps again.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This is what got me thinking about the sidecar set up.
Steve

Indian with a sidecar sounds redundant & the red one (linked) is a beauty. I always wanted the combination, looked for and made offers for originals but no joy. If I go with a drop loop frame for My V-twin then it would make sense to incorporate side car mounts in the original design. A Simplex frame is also still a good possibility, but doesn't interest me as my ideal sidecar combination...that will always be the Indian!

I ran across the Argentine group, that your last post linked, a couple of years back. Amazing story & beautiful Indian board track replicas. The engine is art, though a replica, and I've stared at it more than just a few times. Argentina was one of the many Latin countries I worked in over the years and is my favorite country south of Texas lol. They are passionate about many things including racing in general & motorcycles in particular. So I'm not surprised that they build these awesome retro machines & that they seem to be prospering with 2 more models coming into the product line, both a road bike and and old style Daytona beach racer, with a replica Power plus engine. Too cool.

Thanks for that link I'd only viewed the Spanish You tube versions and they are in Spanish. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,

Your welcome. Argentina was my sons favorite country as well. He was very impressed with what he saw there and the people he met.

I would love to have one of those bikes like just about everyone else here but getting it in to Canada and on the road would probably be impossible. The provincial government in British Columbia owns the automobile insurance business in the province. We do everything through our local insurance brokers office that you would do at your local D.M.V. except stand in line for an hour and deal with some sour faced government employee.

One of the good parts is they are open 7 days a week. You can go anywhere you like and get insurance. They have a chain of drug stores that have an insurance booth in them and they are everywhere.

Here is a look at the sidecar frame. I have to have three wheels since my balance is bad caused by a totally misspent youth and old age.

Steve.

http://www.indianpartseurope.com/fsppsidecar2.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I spent a good part of today reading that Indian restoration thread...unreal thread. Those who love old classics and want to know what it takes to restore them in great detail or just love Indians; don't miss out on this one. Click the link in the last post.
Thank's Steve for sharing this with us. It's like a college course only fun with detailed descriptions and a large number of excellent & pertinent photos. Best photos inside and out of an Indian Powerplus engine rebuild ever! That said the full leaf suspension, front and rear is quite interesting.

Though this particular year and model Indian is not my favorite Indian style wise it is still an amazing machine. Rick C.