Not reaching top speed

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Im using an app that uses gps to test my speed. Ive tested it against a car speedometer and it pretty spot on. My rear sprocket is a 44 tooth. Im just getting out of breakout and getting some fresh gas today. I weigh 105 so that shouldn't be a problem.
once you get your carb tuned and get a better fuel mix your gonna see improvement if all else is right.

without exception all the engines I have run from day one to several hundred miles basically run the top speed they will run withing less than 20 miles, maybe because of how hard I run mine initially I get my rings seated very quick, but I never have seen more that one or maybe two mph increase in top speed between the first day I start the engine until it has even a few hundred miles on it, in my experience the rings seat very quick with these engines so I personally have no doubt that your rings are probably sealed about as good as they ever will be with 125 on it.

Something Tom mentioned here is very true when he said that some of these engines just run better than others, I do believe that 9 times out of 10 all that needs to be done to an underperformer is just change the cylinder jug and clean the ports up good since port timing is one of the biggest factors in whether or not one of these engines are gonna be a good performer or not when all else is correct, if fuel mix is right, timing is correct, compression is good and port timing is where it needs to be, the engine will run good as long as it isnt one of the horribly balanced engines that has a wobbly crank that tries to shake itself to death when it revs a little above idle, but Ive got over 40mph out of even some engines that would feel and sound like they were about to grenade any moment from horrible vibrations so even though that is a limiting factor when all else is right even the badly balanced one can be got to spin up fairly high rpm.

Just get that carb tuned and fuel mix corrected first and lets see what happens.

One more thing I just thought of also, which type exhaust gasket are you using?

A lot of these engines come with the one that just has a round hole and others have a larger rectangular opening, I ask because the stock exhaust is such a limiting factor with these engines and any improvement you can make to help get the exhaust out easier is a big help, I have stocktype pipes on two of my engines but I have ground the flange leading into the header tube so that it is as closely matched to the port as possible and then I use the gaskets that have the rectanguler opening and I match the opening perfectly to the exhaust port in the jug itself to minimize restriction as much as I can so exhaust coming from engine doesn't slam into any flat ares but is directed as good as possible into the header pipe, doing this makes a difference you can feel and see with power and speed compared to how the same engine will run with the same exhaust without anything done to it.

Every little thing you can do to one of these engines to get them breathing better is an improvement that can normally be realized either with increased top speed or power in the mid to upper rpms for going up moderate inclines, these little china gals need all the help they can get.

Last edited:

thirdorangutan

Mar 19, 2015
Austin, Texas
I've replaced my exhaust gasket and it had no affect. I just mixed up some 45 to 1 gas with the Echo and lost 5 mph. Luckily I gained a few from other tuning but now I'm only getting 20 mph!!!!! This is getting really frustrating

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've replaced my exhaust gasket and it had no affect. I just mixed up some 45 to 1 gas with the Echo and lost 5 mph. Luckily I gained a few from other tuning but now I'm only getting 20 mph!!!!! This is getting really frustrating
until you get carb jet right dont expect much difference, by reducing the oil in the mix you actually made the engine have an even more rich run condition, less oil more gasoline in the mix so being the jet is already to large it just basically got even bigger in a sense.

get the bits and slider the jet and redrill with a #72 bit and see what happens.

do you have a way to take some pics of your bike and engine and then post them up here so we can actually see the externals of what you're working with?

Its very hard to troubleshoot sight unseen, but I think you'll get this worked out once you get the simple things done to get the engine running like it should..

I reAlly would like to see some close up pics of the bike and engine to see if we may notice any potential issues other than what we've discussed so far.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
exhaust, changing pin on carb, gas to oil ratio. Not that much. Im not sure how to do much else. What should I try?
I recommend either parking the bike until you can get the tools to properly tune the carb, or just ride it like it is until you get the tools to get carb tuned properly.

How well does the engine idle once you get it started?

You said your buddy has his bike running really well, have you made sure that everything with your bike isset up identical to how he has his?

Just trying to norrow downevery possible issue that could be causing you trouble.

again do you have a way to take pictures of your bike and post them here so we can see your show everything on the bike and engine looks?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Be real careful, something is not right here. You should be going faster, not slower.

How does your bike sound as compared to your friends?

Any nasty sounds? If you remove the spark plug, pull the clutch and crank the motor using the nut on the magneto magnet how does it feel? Anything binding?

Sometimes the factory forgets to clean out the aluminum chips from the crankcase and that's never a good thing.

I can tell you that something is seriously wrong with that motor and according to you it's getting worse. The black plug tells me that that your mix is too rich, but even then you should go well over 20 mph.

I would remove the head and take a look at the cylinder. It's easy and you'll see if anything looks weird in there.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I dunno. You are too rich by plug condition, so proceed with the jet soldering / drilling thing. Good to know that there are no chips flying around in there.

You can also remove that little spring between the cable post and the clutch arm, it just makes the clutch harder to pull.

Something quick to try if it's not dusty where you are; remove the airfilter and go for a run. That should lean you out a little to see. Don't run w/o the air filter for long though, not good for motor.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Get rid of the rubber you have in your engine mounts. It's not slowing you down but it certainly isn't going to help with vibrations. The engine needs to be mounted solid to the frame. NO RUBBER.
Excessive vibration can cause some issues. You want to eliminate that and mounting the engine properly will help.

When you replace the cylinder head you need to make sure the fasteners are torqued correctly. Tighten them in an 'X' pattern and use a torque wrench. 120 to 140 inch pounds is good. Also inspect the head gasket and make sure there are no burned or dark areas where it meets the cylinder and cylinder head. Loss of compression can certainly have an impact on engine performance,

Tom