New vari speed tranny build

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks for the update you can bet I will catalog all this for my build. How do you think it would work on a small 11/2 hp clinton?............Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Impressive video Wayne!
Gosh that thing is QUICK!!!!

I really do fell you are safer on an agile bike. You can respond to bad situations faster and avoid them.

The two speed really does well taking advantage of the predators power.

Thanks for the great vid
rc

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had the standard MT clutches make noise from the get go. If it rattles at idle and is quiet engaged might be the bushing. Mine made noise engaged at certain rpm. Turned out to be the disc shaped plate that retains the spring/shoes. Was loose under the circlip that retains it. An oring of the right thickness under it took the play out and cured the rattle. 2 of my 2 MTs did this.
Thanks for the tip on the low speed chatter in the standard clutch. Now I have a better picture of what is going on and how to fix it.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wayne,
Pretty impressive acceleration in your video. I remain excited about this tranny and look forward to having it on my Panther. I think it will suit my needs and wants perfectly.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
OK, little update. This thing seems bulletproof so far. 150 hard miles and counting. No problems or undue belt wear at all.
Looks like if I cruise around 27-30, my favorite speed, i'm getting about 60 miles per tankful, however much that is.
Seems like a viable,durable drive train, so I decided to finish up some details.

Like suspension forks and front brakes! What a difference over the rigid forks and the Huffy noslow brakes LoL now it really feels like a motorbike.

Since I'm from Louisiana, and I spend a lot of time with my bikes in the French Qtr, I always try to put a Fleur de leis ornament somewhere on whatever I build.
So I trimmed up that square plate bellcrank in the shift linkage to get what I wanted.
OK, havin trouble posting the pix, hafta put them in the next post.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
OK' Ive got over 200 miles on it now This thing rocks.. Added some embellishments like lights and a billet mirror and other stuff likr some salvaged foosball handles under the seat for sliders LOL. Yeah that's some free swinging foosball men on there too.

Y'all study the photo closely and tell me what's the weirdest detail.
IMAG0421.jpg

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Weirdest is subjective and has a negative connotation here in the north, but there is a lot going on here....let's see, the bell in front of the downtube is interesting, I see another fleur de lis on the front caliper. Did you relocate the front fender to the rear ? I like the additional spring between the front caliper mount and bottom of the steerer tube, that's a brilliant idea ! None of it's weird brother, just fancy...I like it.

MHF

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gettin' pretty fancy, Wayne! lol

OK, I think the fleur-de-lis facing forward on the front brake pivot is kinda wierd... since you asked... :)

They really should be upright, shouldn't they?

Anyhow, can I put in my two cents and make an overall suggestion?

Your skills are excellent... perhaps you would give a shot at a combination of building a longer motorized bicycle and lowering the motor?

...stretch the forward part of the frame, for more room, scoot the seat forward for a better ride and weight transfer, and lower the motor for better CG. ...retain the same rear belt length, but perhaps un-lean the seatpost ??

...just a few thoughts...

Best
rc