New vari speed tranny build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, I might consider writing an instruction book and producing some drawings.
I'm prolly gonna build another one like this. Bro in law wants a motorized bicycle with a reliable transmission. I will take photos of each step and build the booklet around those.
That's good news for sure. I'll be following that build and studying the pictures. And I hope you do decide to make up an instruction book. I think that many people down the line will thank you for that. In the mean time I'll keep studying this thread until things sink into my old brain.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That's good news for sure. I'll be following that build and studying the pictures. And I hope you do decide to make up an instruction book. I think that many people down the line will thank you for that. In the mean time I'll keep studying this thread until things sink into my old brain.
SB
Hey SB. In the mean time, until I come up with instructions, you, or anybody else can feel free to ask any questions about building one of these.
Most of these DIY projects may look complicated or intimidating when you look at the whole thing at once.
But, If you just focus on just one detail at a time, it's not so challenging to figure out. You don't realy need to be able to weld, or own a lathe. There's always a way to figure out another method to take care of any particular problem.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
You don't realy need to be able to weld, or own a lathe. There's always a way to figure out another method to take care of any particular problem.
I agree. I live in an apartment with no garage. I've cleaned parts in my bathtub, aired out my apartment after spilt gas, bike part strewn all over the place, and carried my bikes up two flights of stares every time I won't to go riding. It just makes riding a bike I built that much more special.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey SB. In the mean time, until I come up with instructions, you, or anybody else can feel free to ask any questions about building one of these.
Most of these DIY projects may look complicated or intimidating when you look at the whole thing at once.
But, If you just focus on just one detail at a time, it's not so challenging to figure out. You don't realy need to be able to weld, or own a lathe. There's always a way to figure out another method to take care of any particular problem.
Thanks, Wayne.
I'm in no great hurry as I am riding my Panther and enjoying the Predator engine, but I know what the next incarnation of this bike will look like now and can start accumulating the parts I'll need. I may not do the makeover until next fall in time for winter and spring in Maryland where I have all the mountain hills to deal with. By then you will probably have done the next build and I'll have formed a clear picture of where I want to go and how I can get there. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. You are kind in sharing your knowledge.
SB

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Very cool. Those Gravelys are a unique design with twin cams and a crossflow layout, but what I really meant was if you ever thought of standing a Preddy up vertical like the Sportsman 200.

MHF

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Very cool. Those Gravelys are a unique design with twin cams and a crossflow layout, but what I really meant was if you ever thought of standing a Preddy up vertical like the Sportsman 200.

MHF
I've thought about it. Just haven't gotten around to scratch building a frame yet.

So, right now, with my new aquizition, and this pic for inspiration, If I'm gonna build a fram from scratch, it's gonna fit the gravely.

349_%2520Anzani,%2520pace%2520bike.jpg

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hey Everyone!...That engine looks like the ONE in that old pic!...Seen that one before on Oldminibikes.com....They have a freakbike,home built,ect.thread thats cool....Wayne,will that head work for the compressor pump engine convertion?...!!!! If so are they rare? hard to find a match to it?It would be great for something like that belt drive monster!...Tigmaster....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Everyone!...That engine looks like the ONE in that old pic!...Seen that one before on Oldminibikes.com....They have a freakbike,home built,ect.thread thats cool....Wayne,will that head work for the compressor pump engine convertion?...!!!! If so are they rare? hard to find a match to it?It would be great for something like that belt drive monster!...Tigmaster....
Here's a Gravely jug. 3.25 bore The head is there too for 30 bux. You could align the exhaust tappet on one side of the compressor, and convert the intake valve to atmospheric operation. That would be real cool!

http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&MyEbay=&gbh=1&guest=1

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
I just tried that link,it came up but wanted Me to sign in....I thought e-bay is public?....not something that needs membership for...lol....Tigmaster....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Its working don't brake it. I once knew how to post then went on vactaion and will have to learn all over........Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW!

That anzani powered pacer bike is GREAT, W !

and the belt is HUGE!!!

Should be a fun project.
Would you try and ride it back and forth to work?

Best
rc