New member+Bike Questions

GoldenMotor.com

johngreen

Sep 21, 2023
hey! new member here, not new to biking, sorta new to these motors but they're pretty self explanatory.

As of my problem i havent done a ton of investigation which i probably should have done before consulting all of you fine folks.

Problem: i have a nice running (usually) 80cc bike i am running 40:1 mixed myself. My bike is currently awaiting a new spark plug arriving tomorrow because its fouled (think its a NGK B6L.) I think my problem is my petcock or bowl etc. I have a friend who while hes riding leaves his petcock on. If i do this first of all it fills up ands leaks out of the air intake, second if i leave it on the bike eventually sputters down and stops. Then I clutch, turn off petcock and keep riding untill i need to turn it on again once my bowl is used up. One solution I have is to open the petcock slightly which kinda works but im fairly sure that the float is supposed to float up once full and prevent more from entering.

Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Here’s the link.

johngreen

Sep 21, 2023
Here’s the link.
thanks for the reading, in the comment before you meant debris would be in the jet end where the needle goes in? also i read the reading and if i were to bend the float things to make the engine leaner and not flood what would be the best way to go about doing that

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
If you remove the carb, after cleaning out the needle and seat, invert the carb. Install the float with the needle attached. The float should be parallel to the carb body. Bend the tang on the float to achieve this. Reattach the float bowl and install the carb.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Before you take anything apart; do this test!

First... Turn on the fuel until you see the gas pouring out of the air filter.
Next... (while the gas is still pouring out), lift the rear wheel off the ground about a foot or two & drop it hard on the ground!!!
Then keep doing it until the gas stops pouring out of the carb!

Basically, you're trying to shake the carb real hard to unstick the float inside.

If it never stops pouring out?, then do as the others said & clean out the carb. ;)

Also... The correct spark plug is a NGK B6HS / PN# 7534

Last edited:

johngreen

Sep 21, 2023
cleaned it up and the connection slider was bent out so i rebent it to keep it in it should open and close without issues. still wondering if b6l will work

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Blowing into the gas inlet, can you push lightly on the needle (without the float or linkage attached) and stop the air flow ?

johngreen

Sep 21, 2023
i fixed it now just trying to get up to max speed, anyone have recommendations for an idle screw i lost mine, still runs fast just cant idle

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
If you can’t find an idle screw, try adjusting the knurled end on the throttle cable. Lengthening the cable housing will raise the idle speed.

Reactions: johngreen