New in frame 4 stroke kit in development!

GoldenMotor.com

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I have been emailing Tim and he gave me an estimate of $100 plus shipping for one centi clutch with a pulley of 2.4 or 2.5 inches. It did sound like he would do it for cheaper if he was going to make a lot.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Hey that's good news that he'll do it. That price is over the top though.

I have checked out Max Lube. It's alright but the expense is prohibitive. All and all I'm happy w/ the clutch we're using and we need to widdle the $ down on it as well. We've been meaning to talk w/ Jim, Dan has developed a good relationship w him (maybe that'll help). But buying qty always helps. One way or another we'll find the answers we seek!

r.ly.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I put about 30 mi. on'er today! No problems to speak of. I think I'll play around w/ the main jet a little; ' think it's a little lean up top now from the straight pipe. Topping out at 35ish cruisin at 32ish on the flats. W/ the flex pipe I was toppin' out at 40 and cruisin at 36-37. So w/ some carb adj. ' should get that back!

All and all a great ride! Got a break in the rain so I went for it! Lots of head turnin', Wow that was fun!

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
You better make up some business cards and mail them with your orders for your customers to hand out. I had tons of inquiries with my honda/grubee stage 3 and that's not nearly as cool as this. Just my opinion.

Why would you loose top end? Is it the length or diameter of the straight pipe vs the flex pipe? Will customers have to tweek the carb as well? Can't say I'm schooled in the whole carb tweeking thing.

Love the regular updates.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah I woulda thunk your pipe flowed pretty well, but the engine may have been tuned pretty lean to begin with.

Yes - good enough weather for riding (but how gorgeous was last Saturday?!!). We had the 4 stroke shifter kit out. It's gonna be fun to hook yours to the Shifter kit with the HF engine that's for sure. 49cc's is OK and all that, but frankly I'm durn spoiled by 68cc's of well tuned 2 stroke power. I'll probably be hitting HF in Bellevue next week. Again, the Honda/Hua Sheng (bad pinyin) is an OK engine, the Honda has this weird vibration off idle.....it's compliant and all that, but I know a 2 stroke and it's no 2 stroke. (Get used to it Pablo!!! :-||)

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
With the Hf you may not have to put thread lock on every nut and bolt for fear it will work it's way out and go byby. Not to mention my own nuts getting over vibrated.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
This is good news btw! 'cause we'll just get more power w/o much effect on longevity!

The exhaust that this comes w/ is very restrictive (noise emissions). A motor is essentially an air pump, gassy air in and sooty air out. W/ a 4 stroke the more free flowing everything is the more air (spent fuel) that can be pumped through it and the more powerful (to a point) it becomes. But, to wax poetic, "as above so below" or "everything in balance". Now that the exhaust is more free flowing we need more gas (to burn) to pump more air (burnt gas) out. Idle jet is usually not changed much w/ better exhaust flow and is much less critical; in this case a simple adj of the screw sufficed. The needle jet may or may not be adjustable but seems to be making the necessary transition from idle to main jet very nicely. It is difficult to determine where exactly the concert between the needle and the main end and the main takes over alone. But when the main is correct I suspect if there are any issues w/ the needle there will be roughness in that transition.

When changing exhaust, rejetting is almost always necessary! W/ 2 strokes this is even more critical!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Oh yeah,

A mild threadlock or locknut is always a good idea. But glack is right, the vibes on this bike are pretty minimal and really shouldn't require much extra effort to keep things safe and tight! And you should have healthy baby makers well into your old age!

Pablo,
Yeah, HuckerSteves 70 w/ your kit rocks! It's rediculous! It will be fun getting this motor to shift!

Last edited:

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
I was useing the ratio calculator and with a shift kit and a 48/24 tooth on the freewheel bottom bracket back to SBP's megarange 34t and a 9 tooth comeing down from the jackshaft does this sound right?

1st: 12.87:1
2nd: 9.08:1
3rd: 8.33:1
4th: 7.57:1
5th: 6.81:1
6th: 6.06:1
7th: 5.30:1

That would be over 50 mph in 7th at only 3600 rpm's and tons of torque at the bottom end. It sounds good on paper but do you think the over 4ftlbs of torque is enough to push the top gears. I know ghost said the 50cc honda didn't seem to have what it took but it had half the torque.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I get 62 mph in 7th w/ current transmission reduction, 26x2.125 tyres and your further reductions.

I do think this motor will do 50mph geared properly. In fact I think it can go faster than that w/ a rabbit or 2 under my sleeve (BonneVille < 3hp anyone?).

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The truth is by the time this kit comes to market there'll be a jackshaft version available too or to follow shortly. I assure you guys I'm on it! But I always encourage folks to try things themselves there is a lot to be learned from design/execution of these things. More than you might think!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I don't yet. Real busy this wknd trying to organize and keep up w/ some parts production. Also making a straight pipe that'll bolt to the HF manifold so that it goes in toward the seatpost while sweeping back to keep it away from riders leg. Should have pics to post soon! Also need to get back on the "motornewsboy" project so that I can do the FireBelly Promo Vid soon!

The work never ends, so it's a good thing that it's fun!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So here's the new exhaust; Another FireBelly Original!

It utilizes the curvature of the stock manifold and a some compound curves to get the pipe away from riders leg. This part also keeps the motor stock for warranty concerns.

Dan will be recieving his ShellyBelly "WhisperDrive" prototype this week so that we can have 2 being tested concurrently. Also I've purchased a second HF motor to help expidite R&D tuning etc.

Speaking of R&D, we are in contact w/ an engine manufacturer in China; they have at least 5 motors we'd like to try from 35cc to 118cc or 1.5hp - 4hp. Their bulk prices are phenominal and we're awaiting a quote for a sample purchase. If their quality is comparable w/ the current engines available it could be very beneficial to 4 stroke builders!

Thanks for checking us out! Stay tuned for more original products from Shelly MotorBikes and FireBelly Cycles!
Be Well! Evan FBC

Attachments

Last edited: