New Group: The 20MPH Club

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I made my weekly library run yesterday. Never went over 25. The park I ride through on the way has a 15mph speed limit. Really enjoyed watching dogs catching frisbies, some guys flying giant kites and kids on bikes and skateboards doing tricks in the bowl they built there for them.
Sure is nice to slow down and enjoy the world around me instead of being in my cocoon, Ford Ranger pickup, and getting all of 18mpg and keeping up with traffic.

Got yelled at by a lady who wanted to know where she could buy a bike like mine, had to hand out some business cards with this website on them to a couple of folks who were looking at my bike when I came out of the library.
All in all, just a cool afternoon. Ya gotta luv motorbikes.
Tom
That may well be the best way to promote motor bicycles :)

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Silverbear and I got in a couple rides today under perfect weather conditions here in Maryland. We pushed that 30 mph mark a couple times, but 20-25 mph is a real fine cruisn' speed on the narrow country roads. Dan

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Sometimes when i make a trip i'm singing an old Foghat song, it goes " slowride, take it easy...."

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What up in da club?
I just joined the 20MPH club.
New members must order and install the official Aleman speed sensor that transmits your speed via satellite uplink to Aleman. Any recorded speeds in excess of 25 mph, will be immediately reported to him and he in turn will evaluate your speeds over a five day period. If your five day average is above 22.5 MPH, your membership in the club will be in jeopardy. In addition if your recorded speeds are in excess or 30 mph, a signal will be sent that will deactivate your CDI rendering your bike useless, unless you pedal it. :)

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tom, does that mean that I'm "Grandfathered" in. I can provide documentation as to my Grandfather status if needed.

Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, does that mean that I'm "Grandfathered" in. I can provide documentation as to my Grandfather status if needed.

Dan
Dan,
I'm a granddady too. That's why I keep my speed down. I just wouldn't heal as easily as I used to. :) (I hope the Denver Area guys I often ride with aren't reading this thread. I might have some explaining to do)

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Today the Mid-Maryland Chapter had a good fall ride through the country. Silverbear and I enjoyed a "brisk" spin north of Frederick. Probably didn't break 25 the whole ride, but sure did have fun. Oh! Moosh the Dog (the chapter's mascot) was along with us in SB's tow-behind. Dan

gia

May 28, 2011
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Perfect club for me! Besides, if I wanted to do 50 mph, I'd get a motorcycle or scooter. I wanted the bike specifically so I could happily cruise along at about the same speeds the spandex crowd rides at usually...only without the spandex or the attitude!

Now...if we can just get the Flying Pig broke in and past the continual modification stage...and get the hubby convinced I'm really not going to get killed on my contraption.

Seriously, I wanted the motor as the Great Equalizer, as well as to make sure that after I had my ride...I would still have enough energy to get home again. I may not be a "Granddaddy" but I am a grandma nonetheless...who's usually toting a trailer with a big dog in it too.

The 20 mph thing means I stop and smell the roses, experience the journey rather than just get there. Motored bikes also are great ice breakers for conversations with total strangers, aren't they?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Right you are, Gia.
I've met some really nice folks because of my bikes. I just met one a few days ago. He was walking his dog and stopped as he was walking past my driveway and I was leaving for a ride. He asked about the bike, the usual questions, then we started talking. Found out we had a lot in common, about the same age, former Air Force, both of us originally from the same city, mechanically inclined, and we ended up setting and talking for an hour. He's a neighbor, lives just a couple of blocks from me and we'll probably get to be good friends. If not for the bikes we would probably have never met.
Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
us 'older' folks don't need to go that fast, anymore,,,
life goes by quick enough (in my opinion) ;)

(my granddaughters just got their new school pics, they look very grown-up !!!
and I don't think I am ready for that yet ;))

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
The Maryland Chapter was blessed with a great weekend of weather. A little brisk on saturday, but probably got about 10 miles in and today a balmy 52 degrees so SB showed up and we went out through the countryside again. We are fortunate to be surrounded by miles of farm country that we are just starting to explore and for the most part minimal traffic, and real good road surface. Moosh the mascot was along for the ride too. Everytime I look over at SB he's got such a look of contentment on his face that I'm gonna have to try to capture it on film for all to see. Keep ridin'! Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's very cool, Dan.
I think Santa is going to bring me a video camera this Christmas. I really want to do some vids of the Denver Area Riders next spring. I have some good ideas for an entertaining video.
Thanks for sharing.
Tom