New and no spark.

GoldenMotor.com

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
Chinese 2 stroke no spark.
I'm new to this and need troubleshooting help big time. My engine is new as well but I've never gotten it to start. I get no spark from the plug and it seems no gas is getting to it but I can't be sure. It's wired correctly kill switch is not connected...I opened the carb and it appears clean but beyond that I can't tell if something is sticking or jammed? And biggest question is, my bike sounds the same whether clutch is engaged or released so is it the clutch being somehow off? Oh, I sprayed the the plug with a Weensy bit of starter fluid, still no spark. If anyone will help me, I would rejoice so happily as I who see around on my motorbike. And if someone is willing to help, I will post pics of whatever you may need to help diagnose the problem. Thank you so much, Liza

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like your motor isn't turning - search on the board for clutch adjust & cable adjust - if there's an actual mechanical problem, you'll see it while doing those adjustments

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
I did the tutorial word for word and now I must say it sounds quite different when the clutch is engaged versus not. Here is to hoping. I cannot wake my neighbors baby by trying to start it tonight...
I thank you so much for your quick and entirely helpful responses and information. I will let you know tomorrow. Liza

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
When it says to free up the bearing, does this mean when I have a screwdriver going counterclockwise, only the innermost part at the bearing seal should rotate?

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
Okay. I won't mess with that any further then...I didn't work but I'll adjust the flower but again and give it a try and get back. Thanks again, liza

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
Hiya, Ron from ronzworld, I just got back from class and am about to see if I can start it. I really want it to start. Thanks for caring! Liza

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
It didn't start, sad. I'm going to adjust the cable a bit and try again. Is it possible my carbeurator is clogged? Or something, really anything else? I relish more and specific information, details and reasons. Many thanks, Liza

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Can you tell if the engine is turning now? If not sure, try it with the clutch cover off so you can see both large & small gears.

If it is turning, is the spark plug wet with fuel after trying it?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Check under the front sprocket cover for chain interference. Almost all new engines need a bit of clearance grinding even with stock chain.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Well from what I am gathering from my reading is that the motor is still not running ... and I also 'get' that is is really hard ta just give am 'easy' answer for this probably very simple problem .... h
It aslo sounds as tho Liza has been reveiwing some other threads in order to educate herself a bit further in the operations of these little motors .. which is a GREAT place for anyone who is entering into the 'world' of motorized bicyces ta start. Now .. with that being said ... Liza you now know , by removing the clutch cover so you can make a visual inspection as ta what's happening ... or not happening , when you are trying ta start it ... and ... youhave come to the conclusion that the motor is not turning over when you are trying to start it ... correct ?? Hope so because I will go on ... so assuming that this is correct, so far, I now ask if you have watched anything on you tube maybe that 'shows' a clutch adjustment procedure ? this way you would/could be sure that everything ,so far , is correct ? Like ; is the motor turning over ? is the clutch slipping ? and how too adjust it if it is ?
Other than that I don't think that anyone can 'help' you ... I think that if it is "as seen on T.V," sort of thjing off you tube , then you will know for certain that the clutch will be operating as it should and that when you are trying ta start it that it is in fact "turning" the motor over ... then if it isn't starting we could go on to other possibilities ... such as .. is there spark ? fuel ? compression ? all of the things that need ta be there for the motor ta run ... the only things that need ta be there actually ...
So my new friend ,,, where would you say we're at on this "quest" ? Am I on the right track with this ? and I guess ... Are we on the "same page" here ? lol

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
Hello again,
Yes, thank you, I think you have summed this up pretty well! I have watched and watched and heeded advice, I am grateful that every one of you replying to my problem hasn't suggested I have the wires incorrectly connected! (Some people have said this to me in person-I figure it's the only thing they know.).
I will not give up, thank you for sticking with me. We are on the same page and it is a quest! I have one last question about clutch before moving on to the other areas.
I noticed with the cover off that the plate, when it is moving outward, doesn't move evenly. Is this normal? Thanks again and again, Liza

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
One more question, is it being too tight going to cause about the same problem as not enough? I just got my cast off of my wrist so finally had to enlist my sister's help pushing the clutch arm in whilst pulling the cable. It is nearly parallel now but when disengaged, is actually pulled inwards a noticeable bit.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the clutch lever cannot be pulled fairly easily, then something is wrong in the clutch.

If the rear wheel is turning, then it is a matter of seeing where the turning stops. If it is a woodruff key problem then a gear or sprocket will be turning, but the shaft it is on will be still. If a clutch problem, then the plate with the flower nut will turn. but the large gear will not.

Try to spot where it is.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Good morning Liza ... 1st let me say that this is the place too ask questions , pretty much everyone on here started out in the same place as you. and have learnt from each other .. and we do this by 'asking questions' .... So ... let's see if we can get you running...
O.K. .. the clutch ... when engaged transfers the motion , torque or ?? from the motor too the drive sprocket on the motor which , of course , takes it too the rear wheel via a drive chain ... when dis-engaged it lets the motor run 'freely' without transferring anything past the first gear in front of the clutch ( the 'little' gear in this case) also allowing the bike too remain in 'neutral' so too speak,,... which is probably what is happening with your motor/clutch now ... so when you are pedaling along and you then let go of the clutch handle , engaging the clutch too start the motor , the too halves of the clutch are not tight enough too 'grab' each other.. inturn forcing the forward motion of the bike too turn the motor over ... so if this is the case you simply need too loosen the 'butterfly' nut until the two sides are ;tight' together , causing the two gears (big and small) too turn together when the bike is moved forward (or backwards for that matter) Now with both gears turning when rollimg back and forth , try pulling in the clutch handle (dis-engaging the clutch) and the two halves should seperate just enough too let the bike move w/out the both gears turning now ... if you can achieve this you have properly adjusted the clutch and when you pedal along , letting out the clutch , the motor will be turning over and, if all else is well , should start the motor running ...
So how are we doin' ?