need help to find good motor mount for Schwinn Windwood

GoldenMotor.com

thekoz76

May 23, 2008
Hi Guys and Gals

Well this is the third time I am try to post, every time I hit the spell check on my browser I lose all I just inputed in the post, so I am not going to do that any more, you will just have to put up with bad spelling.

To tell you a little about myself. Well less then two weeks ago my car went missing and I don't think I will see it again. I don't have enough money to get another just yet, I had enough to get a bike and a motor kit. I bought motor from (boygofast) on ebay and forgot to make sure it had the adapter mount for the big tube in front. My qustion is what is the best way to find the mount I need for my Schwinn windwood?

I have never put a motor kit on a bike befor, so I can use all the help your group will give me.

I saw a clam shell sprokit mount for a coaster bike on ebay is it as good as the guy is saying it is?

Will check back in a couple of hours

Thank you for any help you can provide.

THEKOZ76

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Welcome to the forum. Lots of guys here made their own from a muffler clamp. That would seem to me to be the easiest way to do it, but others will be along to give you better advice I'm sure. I just wanted to say welcome and ask anything you want while installing people here are very helpful.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, Glad you could join us :D

The same thing happens to me using the spell check, I gave up. As any member here could tell you my spelling is terrible. Nobody has ever told me anything about my spelling but they are all so kind here (^)

I have no ideal where to get the adapter for the mount, mine came with the kit. I'm sure some member may know where to get one.

The muffler clamp seem's to be the best way to go. I used the adapter and drilled a hole in my frame. I was sooo excited to get my bike going I did not want to take the time to go to the part's store. I still would not recommend it. But I have been riding for 5 years and have had no problem's.

Here are some pic's of what other member's have done. The first one is the muffler clamp, second seems to be a adapter someone made, and the third is the adapter that should come with a kit.

Maybe someone with the muffler clamp can give you a part number.

oooppss, I have seem to have lost one of the pics :(

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey, the second picture is mine. I was trying to find that picture. I think if I was going to do it again though I would go with the clamp. I tried a kind of a funny clamp when I first put the engine on and it didn't work real good. I kept breaking rear engine studs from the vibration. After drilling it I've had no more trouble. It works real good..................

Don Quixote

May 25, 2010
Seattle
A bracket for a wide down tube can be purchased at sickbikes.com out of Duval, Washington.
DownTube Width: 1 1/2 - 1 5/8"; 1 3/4 - 1 7/8" ; and 1 7/8 - 2"
Engine Stud Width: 1.6" and 1.9"

My build will be a Schwinn Windwood (Red and White with chrome fenders) with a Skyhawk 66cc engine. The engine was purchased from Spooky Tooth Cycles out of Bisbee, Arizona. They sell all their engines (48cc and 66cc) for $150 + shipping.
The front engine mount on the wide down tube was solved with a bracket from Sick Bikes out of Duval, Washington.
I am having a problem lining up the chain from the rear sprocket with the motor drive gear. The chain will rub the tire and the fender. I have considered installing thinner tires and bending or cutting a notch in the fender.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You can just squeeze those thin metal frames in a bit with channel locks and the front mounting block will fit right on.

If you need it longer, you can get a second block and longer studs from gasbike.net, $15.

Personally I like to paint the parts but the point is you have a mounting block plus the studs to keep the motor in place.

I have never been a fan of drilling the frame and just using a single bolt.
You need the support on the right side of the frame because your motor is constantly trying to go to the left. A single bolt through the frame is just going to bend the hole and move eventually.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Looks like folks have sorted the motor mount issue, which is ossum (^)

I figured I'd give a shout-out to alla those w/spelling woes... Check this lil proggy out, it's a standalone (works no matter what yer using) and as the name does imply - it's jus a tiny lil window showing the last word ya typed, in red if it's wrong, hit the button to correct (but ya prolly wanna turn the beep of bfore ya go insane) ;)

Check spelling with tinySpell: a tiny portable free spell checker

All ya really need is the free version, I've been using it fer years with no problems.