Need Help on decision Building a New Board Tracker or Old

GoldenMotor.com

Arrington

Jul 3, 2013
Texas
Hello from Texas. I need some help from some people that have experience. I want to build a board tracker bike. I really like patina bicycles and i have a hand full. Recently purchased a pre war elgin and a early american flyer patina bikes. Thought about building board tracker out of one of them. But i cant decide. Or get a new rolling chassis kit from some of the companies that are makeing new ones. But I dont know who to use and if anyone has any recommendations i would appreciate it. But i didnt know who all builds the frames, tanks and springer front end new for a new kit build. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello from Texas. I need some help from some people that have experience.

Or get a new rolling chassis kit from some of the companies that are makeing new ones. But I dont know who to use and if anyone has any recommendations i would appreciate it. But i didnt know who all builds the frames, tanks and springer front end new for a new kit build. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
The patina bikes are great.

If you want a great deal on a new board track frame, stainless tank and leather seat you must check out www.SilverStateCycles.com

www.sportsmanflyer.com makes some very nice stuff too.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think that most of us use a vintage frame as the foundation of a sorta board track build. It depends in part on what kind of budget you have to work with and also on how different you want your bike to be. I'd suggest spending some time looking around on this site. Also, if you want opinions, provide photos of the bikes you're considering. Off hand I'd be very interested to see what Elgin you have. They had some beautiful bikes and a number of them would lend themselves to a build in the spirit of a board track racer. Good luck with your project.
SB

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I agree with SilverBear post what you got and post what you want, I for sure would like to see the Elgin too.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Taylar Motor Bikes ask for Dan (661) 341-0192 Authentic and period correct styled tribute bikes.
He will build to suite.

C' mon guys how long did you expect me to keep quite ?
that black Norton bike is one of the coolest bikes ive seen to date.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Taylar Motor Bikes ask for Dan (661) 341-0192 Authentic and period correct styled tribute bikes.
He will build to suite.

C' mon guys how long did you expect me to keep quite ?
Dan definitely makes the top of the line board trackers that really look the part.

Really hard to beat Silver State Cycles prices though for those of us on a budget.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Can't argue with the price from Silver State but what is the quality like? can they seriously hold up to a 212 preditor? I've seen the Morini in one and I'm just not too thrilled with the motor mount configuration. I have never seen one of their bikes up close and personal so I really can't say anything positive or negative.

Dan's Bikes aren't that expensive and if you think about how much some one would spend to get a bike to that state of excellence, it becomes a very decent price and you have to remember Dan's bikes are NOT! production bikes they are all hand made, made to a customers needs and desires.

Yes! Dan is a close and personal friend but put all that aside, his work is FLAWLESS!
Dan was out there making custom motorcycles for a long while before becoming self employed building vintage replica motorbikes and no matter how much one of his bikes cost it's worth every penny.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Dans bikes arent that expensive???? They arent anywhere as cheap as Artspeeds or Silver States are they? Which both are by all reports quality bikes. you said you havent seen a Silver State up close yet you dont like their engine mounts?? These guys are new, i think that was an unfair statement.......And I don't believe Arrington has said he wishes to use a predator or Morini yet...... Just saying.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Check out they're face book Harry, you'll see the morini, I ain't knock'n either Artspeed or Silver State, I paid $3,500 for a bike from a well known builder that still needed to be finished for that price I could have bought a top notch bike, finished, built to my wishes and not limited only to what they were building (all the bells and whistles) with a Honda GC160 from Dan.

Myth buster... Dan's bikes aren't that expensive.

You want cheap bike get a Huffy and go from there, but remember " A cheap bike ain't good and a good bike ain't cheap! "

Harry.......You need to read my comments a bit more closely my friend, I said nothing harsh or un fair about anyone or they're product and does artspeed even ship to the U.S.A ? I only heard of one person getting one and never heard anything about the bike again or how that person liked the bike 6 months down the road.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Check out they're face book Harry, you'll see the morini, I ain't knock'n either Artspeed or Silver State, I paid $3,500 for a bike from a well known builder that still needed to be finished for that price I could have bought a top notch bike, finished, built to my wishes and not limited only to what they were building (all the bells and whistles) with a Honda GC160 from Dan.

Myth buster... Dan's bikes aren't that expensive.

You want cheap bike get a Huffy and go from there, but remember " A cheap bike ain't good and a good bike ain't cheap! "

Harry.......You need to read my comments a bit more closely my friend, I said nothing harsh or un fair about anyone or they're product and does artspeed even ship to the U.S.A ? I only heard of one person getting one and never heard anything about the bike again or how that person liked the bike 6 months down the road.
Trukd I did read your comments carefully, you need to read my comments a little more closely: firstly I never said your comments were "harsh", secondly I never suggested a "cheap bike", I suggested Artspeed and SilverState, it seems you have drawn the conclusion that they are "cheap bikes", not me. I think they are quality bikes at a very reasonable price. Also Arrington has never suggested he wants a Morini or Honda clone as a power plant. Another assumption on your part. And yes Atspeed DOES indeed ship to the U.S, a couple members here have got one and have been very happy.

I'm not denying or debating the quality of Taylor's bikes, its quite obvious they are hand built pieces of art, I'm just suggesting not everyone wants or can spend that sort of money. Taylor's bikes aren't as reasonably priced as Artspeeds or Silver States...... Fact!...... And they shouldnt be as they arent really comparable, both have a place in this hobby.

As I said previously Arrington sent me a PM and said he wanted a medium priced bike, and I suggested a medium priced bike (not cheap as you suggested I did), please don't take it personally. But you do need to read a little harder before you suggest I do the same.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dans bikes arent that expensive???? They arent anywhere as cheap as Artspeeds or Silver States are they? Which both are by all reports quality bikes. you said you havent seen a Silver State up close yet you dont like their engine mounts?? These guys are new, i think that was an unfair statement.......And I don't believe Arrington has said he wishes to use a predator or Morini yet...... Just saying.
Well there has been plenty of advice and opinions given about the type and makers of bikes that you have to choose from concerning your build Arrington, I hope you make the right decision that suites your budget and build desires.

You will always spend more then what you initially thought or planned for your build so be prepared for that too as you will find that during the course of the build you'll want to add, or change something that cost more $

I don't believe in carry'ing swords into churches so before this turns into boxing match at a Bible study because of a difference of opinion (which was what you sought)I will wish you the best of luck and politely back out of this thread.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Your wasting your time, Harry. Truckd will just go on and on about "Dan the man" every chance he gets. That's pretty much all he does around here. There are lot's of excellent commercial builders on this forum in all different price ranges. All it takes is a little research to see that. Taylor, Artspeed and Silverstate all make nice products and I personally enjoy seeing their work. As for Truckd knocking someones engine mounts, well Truckd show us how it's done instead of how Dan would do it. Maybe it's time you offer more than just the same old daily advertisement.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Your wasting your time, Harry. Truckd will just go on and on about "Dan the man" every chance he gets. That's pretty much all he does around here. There are lot's of excellent commercial builders on this forum in all different price ranges. All it takes is a little research to see that. Taylor, Artspeed and Silverstate all make nice products and I personally enjoy seeing their work. As for Truckd knocking someones engine mounts, well Truckd show us how it's done instead of how Dan would do it. Maybe it's time you offer more than just the same old daily advertisement.
My thoughts exactly Sportscarpat. Well said.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Have you got a friend or relative with a welder?

Don’t rule out the possibility of building one yourself. While the thought of doing it might seem daunting if you have never done anything like it before...

Take your time, plan well and It’s actually not that hard. There’s a wealth of information right here on the Forum and a large group of helpful members to answer any question that might come up.

Plus the satisfaction of building your very own “good bike cheap”.

-Kirk