Need an e clip for my carburetor!

GoldenMotor.com

tjasperse

Oct 27, 2011
CA
Yep, I lost the e clip. I needed to make a little carburetor adjustment. I was trying to move the clip up on the needle in a gravel parking lot and of course I dropped the clip. After some searching, I knew there was no way to find it. Where can I get a replacement? Do regular hardware stores carry something like this or small engine stores?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yep, I lost the e clip. I needed to make a little carburetor adjustment. I was trying to move the clip up on the needle in a gravel parking lot and of course I dropped the clip. After some searching, I knew there was no way to find it. Where can I get a replacement? Do regular hardware stores carry something like this or small engine stores?
Auto parts store like NAPA or some mom and pop will have an assortment. Forget about Auto Zone, Advance, and the such. In the meantime if you have a magnet you can try to locate it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
by golly ALF should have mentioned u could just use a bit of a paperclip twisted around there to get u on down the road.

These little chinagirls ain't rocket science! :)
rc

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
by golly ALF should have mentioned u could just use a bit of a paperclip twisted around there to get u on down the road.

These little chinagirls ain't rocket science! :)
rc
Have you tried it. I feel that the diameter of a small clip will be to large for the needle. Those 5 settings are small. Maybe a strand of wire??

Try a motorbike shops.

I have been going by a NAPA 5 days a week (tomorrow is my last day), I'll check to see if they have them.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ace Hardware. Check those little plastic drawers they all have small parts in. You'd be surprised what you can find there. If you're lucky you'll find a guy there who knows what he has to sell and will lead you right to it. Look for a grey beard as opposed to a teenager. :)
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

we've got an ACE hw up the street within quick range of my mab... I make it a point to go there every weekend for the popcorn. free popcorn.

gosh they have made a bunch off me buying the little metric nuts and bolts!

...and the greybeards are fine, but they got a couple young bucks that are nothing short of awesome. I can't figger how those fellows know so much about where the various screws are, in those little slide-out trays !!! lol They must have stocked them a number of times...

lol
I must be gettin old... entertainment is hopping on my mab to go up to the hardware for free popcorn. used to be bar-hopping on my harley!
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Something I've noticed about Ace. They're forever changing the store around. The one near me, about ten blocks, has changed three times in a year. I just get familiar with where everything is and then they move everything. I think it's a marketing gimmick so their regular customers will have to wonder around looking for what they came to buy then they find other stuff they didn't really need but pick up, 'cause they had to explore the isles searching. :)
Tom

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i hate it when store's change, i cant find anything. year's ago i was changing my c-clip at glamis [sand capital of the world] and ting off it went. looking around i found the factory hose clamp had a wire end in the shape of an ''o'' and slid it over and click done. stayed that way till i let the kid down the street borrow it and i never saw it again. im not typing this in jail so he got away with it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ok... took it apart to try the paperclip on the needle and lost the whole bloomin needle!!! when I went to squeeze the bit of wire in place! lol

a paperclip wire diameter is too thick for this use.

back to the drawing board... AND search, for my cns needle! lol
rc

waynestore67

Nov 5, 2010
missisippi
I lost mine months ago, and couldn't find one small enough. I ended up using a wire spring clip (kinda looks like an old school hair (bobbie) pin. I think it came from Ace. It's been gettin' it done all summer, and fall.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
In my last stardate log entry I had LOST my CNS48 mid-range needle while attempting to fabricate a quickie replacement for the e-clip.

While attempting to crimp a short piece of a paperclip onto the needle with a pair of pliers, it flipped out of my fingers, bounced off the wall, then ricochetted off my desktop PC monitor, before landing somewhere unknown in my workspace.

I would have preferred dropping it on the floor in a carburetor repair shop !

Two or three hours later, after sorting through and nearly organizing any number of open containers, boxes of various items, looking bit by bit through a large, open desk drawer, AND sweeping dust bunnies for a while so I could crawl around on the floor behind the desk, I gave up.

I got a needle from an NT carb...
I'll make a new post in the carb section on that.

So this morning, (T-day!), I axed my better half to keep her eye open for a small metal part that resembled a #6 finish nail, on the floor...

LESS THAN 2 or 3 MINUTES LATER, she handed the carb needle to me!
What a girl !
And she CAN cook! :)

I took it for a test run with the NT needle installed and got just as good low end performance, perhaps a bit less 4 stroking through the range, and *maybe* one more mph on the top end for my best speed to date on level ground.
I did not run through the radar speed sign, though.

Bottom line; a paperclip, (even a small one), is NOT a good choice for an emergency e-clip on the carb needle. The wire is far too stiff on even a small clip.
... and a twisty bread wrapper tie is too wimpy...

I ended up using the center conductor from less than an inch of CATV coax for a temp - fix option. It's abt 20-22ga copper plated solid conductor.
(Have not yet run it because the NT needle is in there now.)

rc

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Almost all stores are that way now days stuff seems to move over night to different isles heck you almost need to ask for their latest map to find anything.
Napa stores sometimes carry that e-clip. I seem to remember harbor freight carries them but in a assortment case for about $5.99 or so?