my hoot gearbox survival method!!

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
No problem. I was thinking more towards February anyway. Can you get just the gear box or only the whole kit?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Linnix, Last Month I Got A Kit missing Parts For 53 Bucks On Ebay Plus 19 S/d. It Looks Like The Same Gear Box With The Little Screw (plug) On Top Of The Case. Removed The Cover When I Received It, Looks Like Yours. Did Not Take It Off The Motor. Is There A Clutch On The Motor Also?? The Motor Is A Hs Titan. Been Waiting To See How Yours Stands Up. Back In The Late 70`s I Was Operating The Sky Scrapper "tower Cranes". Got An Extra Hours Pay Each Day For Greasing The Crane. They Said I Had To Crawl Out To The Tip Of The Boom (165 Feet Out Horizontally 150 Foot Above Ground) And Grease The Bearings. I Did Not Enjoy That Duty. The Iron Worker Foreman Got Me Some Grease In Tubes For The Grease Gun. It Said Good For Annual Greasing, Grease Once A Year. I Think It Said Something About Texas In The Name, Or Manufactured In Texas. I Fell In Love With That Sh*t Instantly!! Lol. The Superintendent Ok`d It. When They Took The Crane Down I Was Gone, Don`t Know What Condition The Bearing Was In. Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Linnix, Last Month I Got A Kit missing Parts For 53 Bucks On Ebay Plus 19 S/d. It Looks Like The Same Gear Box With The Little Screw (plug) On Top Of The Case. Removed The Cover When I Received It, Looks Like Yours. Did Not Take It Off The Motor. Is There A Clutch On The Motor Also?? The Motor Is A Hs Titan. Been Waiting To See How Yours Stands Up. Back In The Late 70`s I Was Operating The Sky Scrapper "tower Cranes". Got An Extra Hours Pay Each Day For Greasing The Crane. They Said I Had To Crawl Out To The Tip Of The Boom (165 Feet Out Horizontally 150 Foot Above Ground) And Grease The Bearings. I Did Not Enjoy That Duty. The Iron Worker Foreman Got Me Some Grease In Tubes For The Grease Gun. It Said Good For Annual Greasing, Grease Once A Year. I Think It Said Something About Texas In The Name, Or Manufactured In Texas. I Fell In Love With That Sh*t Instantly!! Lol. The Superintendent Ok`d It. When They Took The Crane Down I Was Gone, Don`t Know What Condition The Bearing Was In. Ron

that sure looks like mine, are the teeth beveled? so far i have over 1000kms on mine and its running great, ive decided to stop worrying about it breaking, i just ride it now, the teeth look great and have no more wear on them than they did on the pictures i posted many pages ago,

the grease i use is the same stuff your talking about, they use it to grease the booms on cranes, and it comes in tubes, its awesome stuff,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Here's a thought, why not drill and tap a few holes and put grease nipples on the gearcase, would save taking it apart to grease it each time...Pete
yes it would, and it would probably work just as good, but i like the satisfaction of doing it manualy and knowing each and every tooth has the exact same amount of grease on it. but thats just me. anyone else can give it a shot and let us know how it work?

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Linnix, Is The Crane Grease Staying On The Gears? Can You Post Info On The Grease, Manufacture, Item Number Etc. I Would Like To Get Some. Pics Of My Hoot, Think It Is The Same As Your. Glad You Started This Thread, Now I Will Use The Hoot. Ron .cvlt1
yep! thats the hoot i have, do the shimming thing i did a few pages back, it helps with the whine allot

the grease is called lubemaster permalube extreme #1

i got it from a buddy who works on cranes, they use them on the booms,

and i put like 3 cups in my gearbox, i loaded it up until no more will fit in it,

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Linnix, Did Your 100 Mile Hoot With The Straight Cut Gears, Look The Same On The Exterior As Your Good, Current Tranny. Tomorrow Will Take Cover Off Mine And Check Gears. Ron

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Linnix, Did Your 100 Mile Hoot With The Straight Cut Gears, Look The Same On The Exterior As Your Good, Current Tranny. Tomorrow Will Take Cover Off Mine And Check Gears. Ron

ive never had any other hoot or 4 stroke for that matter, my last kit was an ht, so i wouldnt know anything about the strait cut hoots, but i doubt they would go very far,

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Hey Ron, I had one of the 100 mile hoots. The biggest difference I have seen on the outside between the one I had and the ones you guys have is on the cover, between the 2 protruding cirlcles that are the bearing housings. My box had 1 reinforcing bar between them running center to center and you guys have 2 bars connecting them on the top and bottom.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Civilized, Thanks, Just Looked At Mine, It Has The 2 Bars. Will Take The Cover Off After Lunch, Check Gears And Ratio. Who Posted That It Only Lasted 100 Miles?? Ron

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I posted that recently in the other thread about hoots with other fluids. The drive gear that is attached to the clutch bell stripped on mine. Mine was straight teeth. The others, like yours, have curved gears and seem to be doing really well. I liked the gear ratio. You could run a really small rear sprocket with it. That helped with some chain issues as compared with the grubee.

Last edited: