my henderson tribute

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
thanks goldy! I'm not sure what I'm doing in the future either. And kirk; I've got over a dozen vintage band shirts, ranging from pink floyd (the wall) to led zeppelin (mothership).

unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the top tank panel, but I got the filler bung hole cut out with the oxy-acetylene today. Here's what the tank should look like in the frame

And here's a shot of the wheel on the bike, although I've discovered a problem. Started with a middleweight frame and I'm stuffing balloon tires with fenders into it...

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Your tank is looking good, bud.
Ah, Pink Floyd. Wish I had a buck for every time I listened to Dark Side Of The Moon years back. Couple of years ago I found a kid sized sweat shirt in a used shop with Pink Floyd on it. Gave it to my neighbor for his dog, Floyd, a goofy Labradoodle who wore it for a day, even swimming. Looked good, too. Floyd can't read, but seemed to like his shirt. Ha! I'll ask the neighbor if he still has it. If so, I'll give Floyd a ride in the sidecar and take his picture with his cool shirt. Post it for ya.
SB

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Haha that would be a sight to see silverbear! Maybe sometime this summer we could try to meet up somewhere and go for a ride, you on your hiawatha and me on the henderson.

I just got done cleaning up my trustworthy old schwinn springer, this thing is twisted eight ways to sunday, but she still bounces back from every bump.
Before

After

They still are not as clean as I'd like them to be, but they are nearing the end of their usefull existance. This might be their last hurrah before they become wall-hangers.

Cheers, ccd

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Before we left for the ffa mechanics competition (that we placed 6th in) I was able to snap a few pics to let everyone look at.

I need to mod the little aluminum pull clutch thing to become a rope cup. It allready works in a mediocre sense, but with a few carefull zips of the dremmel it'll be much better.

Ccd

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Thanks guys, I'm making a lot of progress lately. Unfortunately after today, we have five days off from school for spring/easter break. But in the meantime, I'll try to get my hands on enough cash to buy a glass sediment bowl petcock. They're 15$ at the local ace hardware, but I am now completely out of money. Had to buy a new pair of tires for my bmx bike because I recently wore through my current pair .

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
That looks like a fun build. Those 4 cylinder Henderson bikes were cool. Here's a wild thought, Morris minor made some really tiny 4 bangers in the 50's... Not much bigger than the Henderson. What if....... Hummmmm

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Hey thanks msrfan! There are quite a few different little four banger's from back in the 50's. I know there's a little oliver cle-track in an abandon warehouse in town with a neat wisconsin four cylinder. It *should* run, because it has spark. I tested that the time that I managed to shock the daylights out of a friend with it. I just took all four spark plugs out and twisted a piece of speaker wire around the top of one of the plugs, and had the firend hold the end of the wire while I went up to the front and cranked on the starter handle a few times. Lit him up like a christmas bulb.

I'm going to try a bit of a expirament tomorrow on a junk aluminum block briggs, it may be a bit ambitious but I've been thinking and drawing a plan. I'll post a picture of what I was thinking of after my photobucket loads. It probably is just a pipe dream, but you guys might get a kick out of it.

Ccd

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Your close, but she's staying an L head. IMO they sound better than over head valves. But since these aluminum briggs' are a dime a dozen, I won't feel bad cutting one up. I can't remember if they have a cast iron sleeve in the cylinder, or if they're just aluminum. If so, I'll be in luck.if I can find enough raw aluminum somewhere to make the new cylinder, then I will just haf to ask for some help boring the bore and then chucking up the whole thing in a lathe and spinning down some fins on it. either id need to ask the machining program at the college, the machine shop at the highschool, or try to ask my dad. But he usually says no before I can tell him what I want to do.

Not sure if I'd make it a longer stroke or not; I'd probably be opening a can of worms if I would try to lengthen the connecting rod, because with my luck something would hit something else and all heck would break loose. I'll post a pic of the progress I make tomorrow morning. Just gt a new hacksaw blade, so it should make quick work of the aluminum.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
With my Briggs 3hp 4 stroke 808 0430 model engine which is cast white metal, I was instructed not to use a cylinder hone on it by the guy at the shop.

I was reconditioning it and was already cutting the valves and seats since the angles had worn and were leaking. Lapping only made the angles complementary, which is what you don't want. Only if a nick in the valve or seat can be fixed that way is it useful to do the cheaper lapping.

Anyway so I thought make the cylinder better, and I installed new rings and the guy said if you do use the hone just once real quick. He mentioned only on the cast iron ones should the hone really be done on safely, otherwise you risk the cylinder being ruined.

I would guess you might just have the same kind of motor your willing to mod up. Maybe just taking a small magnet to the inside cylinder wall, using some felt padding to avoid scratching the wall to see if there is any ferrous material there and you would know if it has an iron lining.

MT

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
The wheels are spinning in your head now aren't they? Yep, I can see something in the engineering/ mechanical field in your future. As far as you're build goes one thing for sure, you can always change things 'down the road'...I find these these projects are never really completed as there's always something else you plan on doing. BTW, changing the stroke means changing the crank, a longer con rod wont make any difference to the stroke itself, only the position of the piston in the cylinder. Turning off the fins though and exposing the valve tappets...that would give it more of a vintage motorcycle look. I may have to steal that idea from you, if you don't mind.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
No, don't mind at all goldy! Feel free to use the idea. And I realized that I'd need a different crank shaft instead of a longer con rod last night when I was mulling it over in my head.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Well, my arm is still tired. But I got the old briggs cut up this morning

Not sure if it's aluminum or whitemetal (is there a difference?) And also not sure if it can be tig welded. And there was no sleeve in the cylinder either, so that makes this idea a tad bit more possible. I'll half to set the block and the head piece up in the bridgeport and then level out all of the mating surfaces. I'll half to see if there could be any way I could find a different crank shaft that would fit into the briggs block with as little effort as possible, that would have a longer throw that would increase the stroke. Or, I could just cheat and lengthen the con rod and just have the piston work higher up in the cylinder; but id half to worry about if the oil dipper rod would splash enough lubricant up onto the piston.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Its cast aluminum...it'll TIG weld. To gte decent results you might need to give it a darn good decreasing, or bake it in the BBQ to get all the oil out of the pores, but it can be done. Don't know if you'll be able to fit a different crank though...not much room in there, but you might be able to stroke the std one.
This is all very interesting...keep us posted.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Okay! But I've got a fairly good idea about how to tackle the new cylinder. I figured that to try to not mess with the comprssion ratio, I will measure the stock length of the bore and figure out the length of the con rod, and then i'd need to try to remember some of the math I "learned" this year to find a relationship to fgure out how much length id need to add to the con rod to keep the same (or closeto the same tdc level in the new cylinder.

I figuredout a way to mate the three pieces together as well, I'll half to be tricky and bore out the holes in the head piece and block, then just step the ends of the new cylinder so each end would press into the head piece and the block. And then, just tig around the top to a point, and machine down the bead so the head gasket would seal again. It would keep the cylinder walls free of imperfections in a sense. Simple as brain surgery, isn't it?

Ccd