Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: Easy & cheap way to mount a flashlight.

Here's an easy and cheap way to mount a flashlight to the handlebars of your MB. Use two tangential screw clamps (that's the technical name, but you may call them worm gear clamps, or hose clamps) as shown in the attached photos. The flashlight is clamped securely, but there's enough "flex" to adjust the beam to where you need it. The cost is only a few dollars.
Simple, cheap, secure... clever!
Silverbear

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
For anyone who can't get their engine started the first time. If your bike dies as soon as you stop pedaling or you let off the clutch.

Try replacing the magneto first. It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it but replace it anyway. It is the most likely cause if you're sure you put this thing together correctly.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
For anyone who can't get their engine started the first time. If your bike dies as soon as you stop pedaling or you let off the clutch.

Try replacing the magneto first. It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it but replace it anyway. It is the most likely cause if you're sure you put this thing together correctly.
Not too smart. It's rarely the reason motor won't start 1st time. Usually it's because rider gives up too soon :). Check float bowl for gas, check plug for spark, and go down a big hill first time wiggling the throttle.

And replacing without testing ain't that great an idea. Check magneto coil with a meter. They only cost $2-$3 and takes less than a minute.

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
xlite again! I agree. Not giving up too soon is great but why should replacing something that's probably not working be refered to as giving up? Replace the magneto is something I've read again and again on this site. I replaced it and my bike worked instantly.
I'm not sure how you check the plug for spark though. I knew it was either the cdi, spark plug or the magneto. Nearly all people said that replacing the cdi didn't fix anything. I was about 99% sure it wasn't the spark plug. So next on the list was the magneto. I had an extra from another motor I hadn't yet installed. It actually "looked" worse than the one I took out, but it made her run!
Anyone know of a way to Fix a magneto??

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
xlite again! I agree. Not giving up too soon is great but why should replacing something that's probably not working be refered to as giving up? Replace the magneto is something I've read again and again on this site. I replaced it and my bike worked instantly.

I'm not sure how you check the plug for spark though.

Anyone know of a way to Fix a magneto??
My comment was based on about half the guys I sold kits to coming back and saying "it's no good". A quick run down the hill in front of my place usually got things buzzing. They just didn't pedal with enough gusto that first time. Gotta get that clutch loosened up and juices flowwing.

And the few occasions when there really was something wrong it was not magneto. That always happened after quite a few miles and only cases where something was hooked up to the white wire (kill switch, lights, etc).

I check plug (and CDI, and magneto, and wiring, etc.) by hooking it to my handlebars and peddle like heck. Or, if I'm really lazy, hold my finger on electrode and turn wheel a little bit.

IMO blindly replacing w/o proper diagnosis is for LAH-HOOO-ZERZ. :) And forget about fixing the tiny wires in that coil. Open the bad one up... you'll see what I mean.

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
You know what. I did have the kill switch hooked up for my first run when it did not work... and I wasn't 100% sure I had the kill wires hooked up correctly. Could that be what killed my magneto? I don't have the kill switch hooked up now either. I just flip the choke up and it shuts down right away and starts up great after that too.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Good idea on the flash light mount! I thought of using 1 of my mag lights but id go broke buying batteries. My next purchase is going to be some rechargeable batteries.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: Easy & cheap way to mount a flashlight.

Here's an easy and cheap way to mount a flashlight to the handlebars of your MB. Use two tangential screw clamps (that's the technical name, but you may call them worm gear clamps, or hose clamps) as shown in the attached photos. The flashlight is clamped securely, but there's enough "flex" to adjust the beam to where you need it. The cost is only a few dollars.
Im think 6v lantern pipe clamp under the bars and two of those band clamps one on each end.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
You know what. I did have the kill switch hooked up for my first run when it did not work... and I wasn't 100% sure I had the kill wires hooked up correctly. Could that be what killed my magneto? I don't have the kill switch hooked up now either. I just flip the choke up and it shuts down right away and starts up great after that too.
To be honest I doubt that caused your problem. More likely mfg defect. I'd contact seller for a new one. I do know magnetos stopped failing when I stopped using the white wire but it could be coincidence.

I always use choke to stop for couple reasons:

1. It tells you mixture is ok or no leaks when engine stops right away.

2. Leaves oil on cylinder/piston for easy starting next time. That's how we do it w/airplanes.

Last edited:

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I've rode my bike 3 times now without a helmet and without a pin to ensure my chain tensioner doesn't rotate into my spokes. I'm really asking for it.
I better get a helmet after work.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
So much good info It is defiantly worth the time to copy/paste into a doc. Thanks Bikeguy Joe for your words of advise. I will be using them a lot.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
With all due respect, if you didn't check the mag winding with a meter, but replacing it "fixed your problem," you may have just had a bad connection, which went away as a result of going through the motions of replacing the mag. I'm sure this sort of thing has happened to me at least a few times in my life. In any case, it's good your MB is running again!

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
All good stuff, and many items I had to figure out on my own! The chain master link is a sore point with me. They are pretty flimsy and not hard to make them fail. When mine flew off, the rest of the master link was ok. So waiting for a new one, I took some high-tensil fine wire, like old 'piano wire' or such, did a figure-8 into the grooves of the link pins and twisted it off, cut, and pounded the 'rattail' flat agains the link. Been ruuning for months, never comes loose, and I never installed the new master link keeper...

DIABLO69

Nov 10, 2009
colorado
Hello! New Rider< I Have A 48cc Grubee That Is Broke In And Now It Seems To Be Un-able To Run Wide Open ...ie. I Have To Mess With The Choke To Get Her Up2speed It Will Run Good For Awhile Then I Gotta Mess With Choke To Keep Speed Up. Any Help Would Be Awsome Plz&thz.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Check for air leak between carb and cylinder, or restricted gas flow. Should be one or the other. An 'o' ring where the intake tube joins into the carb heps seal it, make sure its is big enough to be snug in the carb and won't get sucked into the intake tube. Tighten the clamp tight. If gas flows easily/fully to carb, check for dirt in bowl or float not swinging smooth. Other more exotic possibilities, but try those first!

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Just gave myself a Big Dummy Award! Of all the nuts and bolts I always check regulalry...I never thought to check the nut on the bottom of the muffler. So on the way home from work, guess what flew off somewhere?!?! Plenty loud now! So there is your tip for the day; check it now and then along with the sproket bolts, head bolts, yadda yadda!. Oh well, excuse to do some expermenting with he exhaust.