Making it up as I go

GoldenMotor.com

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt

Tweeked the kick-start a bit gearing wise. to get more revs per throw.
and came up with some thing for hand-grips, Torch handles !
Then I thought I'd make an internal throttle out of one. hence the month from the last post. made every part at least three times but got it.

I'll take some pics of all the in side bits next time i have it apart.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Holy %^$#!!! Heretic!
I just found this thread and I am in AWE!
I've worked in shops like yours before and I know what you mean by labor intensive!
You are a true craftsman in the oldschool sense of the word.
Keep up the fantastic work and post LOTS of pics!

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt

Shot this yesterday. Sometimes I think I do mock-ups purely for motivational reasons.
And can anyone recommend a good/cheap carb for an old 5 hp brigg's.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Find one o a snow blower that has a ideal serkit with ideal jet. Eveb a tecumesh mght it. And most of the older Briggs carbs will work. ...If you could find one off a old 7hp Kohler that would be a good one.....Curt

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
For performance you really can’t beat a Mikuni.

Although it doesn’t necessary have a vintage vibe to match the rest of your bike it is designed for vehicles and won’t have any issues dealing with inclines like a older stationary engine carb might have.

22mm is the size you’ll need and you can usually find a new one for around $40-45$ on Ebay.

-Kirk

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hey. I'm still watching. Hope you get this done in time for my birthday. :)
Looks like you've still got the creative juices flowing. I'll be interested to see how that throttle works. It's almost impossible for you to post too many pics, so keep em coming.
Outstanding work. Thanks for sharing.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Just realized this only works if you log-in to facebook before you watch them,
so if you don't have facebook be proud your the last holdout and I'll try to move em to you tube or something.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really awesome work, Heretic. Kick start is great.

LOL, am I really the only one left with out a FB account? I have a thing about privacy. Yesterday, I signed up for UPS notifications. To prove I was me they asked what towns I lived in, in the past 20 years, what year an old car of mine was and some thing else. But they knew the answers! freaked me out. Now FB don't seem so bad.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt

Trying to load from my phone . If it worked that should be my sprocket I cut.
Made from scratch, no CNC. Just a jig and a drill press.

Last edited:

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
I kinda lost track of thing I did since last few posts.
Made new cranks, nothing I could find would work with out heavy mods so I just went from scratch. Although I had to have a bike shop cut the left handed thread. Its like the one frik'n tap I ain't got.

Thats part of the jig to make the sprocket, It bolted to another part witch bolted to the drillpress and then could be rotated one tooth at a time. After that you just cut along the dotted line and lots O filling.

In earlier posts the kick start used a bike freewheel. It worked ok but not great. Now we have a 3/4x1 inch one way needle bearing pressed into an adapter that rotates on a hub witch screws on to the flywheel.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt

Started work on the peddle side of things, another old skip tooth.
that makes four different chain sets altogether.

Here's a shot of the throttle(old torch handles) and the start of the brake lever.
cUT FROM 1" X1" brass stock.