Magnetize a spoke

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by allen standley, May 9, 2012.

1. allen standley

Is there a method that will magnetize one spoke so the speedo transmitter can see it. I've thrown sensors off the wheel so often there's got to be a better way.laff

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman New Member

Nothing permanent unless you remove the spoke first. I magnetize my screwdrivers with this.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...143&start=8&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:8,i:124

OR
    If the spoke is placed into the center of a coil of wire, and then a large amount of DIRECT CURRENT is sent through the wire, the item can be magnetized. The orientation of its poles will match the orientation of the field generated by the coil.

#2 Al.Fisherman, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  3. maurtis

maurtis New Member

Somehow I doubt you could get the magnetic force on a single spoke strong enough...

When I used a bike computer on my motorcycle which had non-spoke rims, I used JB Weld to hold the magnet on. Never threw the magnet over the course of thousands of miles and hitting 100+ MPH on the track. Maybe the same would work for you?

4. allen standley

been using superglue---Yeah, JB Weld... thanks guys

5. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

A little dab of silicone adhesive works great and you won't have a lump of hard, difficult to remove goop on your spokes.
    Sorry, I hate JB Weld.

Tom

6. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Just a dab of blue lock tight. My spoke magnets have done fine for me. Once a blue moon might lean the bike somewhere or something? Never caught it in the act? To see it got re-clocked somehow? Very very rare for me tho.

Most of the time just put them on right from the packaging. Have seen that coating on bike bolts like these before tho from the factory. Like with brake and rotor hardware.

#6 Goat Herder, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. allen standley

I love JB Weld. Thanks guys,cvlt1

8. allen standley

Just a small amount strategically

9. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

i cant see the magnetizing last very long,it can be done,but i slapped my magnet on right out of the box,200 miles of gravel roads hasnt bothered it.if i llose it,i'll have to glue something on.

10. allen standley

I put a new worksman wheel on front and didn't want to lose my magnet. I used JB Weld neatly---I don't expect it to be an issue--ever---dance1