lessons learned from pets

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really well said, Moto, Steve & CT. I couldn't agree more.

Given the dog's attack, I see no alternative. He was in no way threatened or starving. He obviously meant to drag the child off to a safe place to continue. (then when countered, bravely ran away)

The wounds were not a "nip", he meant to and did draw blood. Certainly not a warning. He stalked and attacked.

In a pack of his own kind, had he done this, the punishment would be an attack by other dogs and if he survived, he would be cast out of the fold. Which would work out the same way eventually with the dogs demise.

I should say we feed, I dunno how many critters in the yard (winters) and have hotly debated catch and release program for spiders. They are all under a Carol mandated death sentence. So we got an underground, rescue sort of thing going on.

My point being that life, most especially young life is important. Threats to that need to be surgically removed.

Still, very very sad but I could push the plunger.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like restaurants that pack up your plate for you. That way I don't have to do it myself. And I really need to do it too 'cause dogs know that you've been out eating delicious food without them, they can smell it all over you when you get home. I get to look at this;

And I better have a "doggy bag" eh - :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
'White boxes' our dogs know white boxes.

We get home from eating out and they go nuts because they smell and see those white styrofoam boxes that mean they're going to get something. They always get a treat from them, French fries, meat, even veggies, which they both like. And we always bring home leftovers for those two. Even if we have to buy something extra, the puppy dogs get something.
Spoiled? You betcha.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"...he's one fine, kind person"

"That tought me a lesson, didn't it? never mind" (English accent)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well I had to put my old freind down. Pretty bummed. He was a pup when the Hobbit movie had came out. So I named him Frodo. Was a dang good name for him it went with him well for ten some ought years. He got some kind of bone cancer? That is what they were telling me anyway. Over the course of a month and a half he got really bad.

I just got in from the vets office. About twenty minutes ago. To save me the horror of it all buring him I opted to have him creamated.

Will be awhile before I get my composure back again...

What did I learn from this dog over the last ten years or so? I could never tally it all up at once. He was a awsome good dog. Will miss yeah buddy. All I can say is I don't have to live through the horror of it all seening him suffer every day. That is a far better thing.

He was Gods to began with I had to give him back.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Sorry to hear that Goat, never a good ride coming home alone.

Yup, we owe them that one final kindness but it hurts real bad.

Sorry, something must have gotten in my eye.

I'm sure you know that there is only one cure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So sorry Goat. You have my deepest sympathy and my complete understanding, my friend. They aren't just 'pets'. They are a part of your life.

Probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Letting go. Last Sunday, August 3rd, was 21 years since Brew left me. I still grieve. He was my best friend and I miss him much.

I remember words from the old song, Mr.Bo Jangles. "After twenty years he still grieves."

Miss you, Brew.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Goat,

Sorry to hear that your friend had to make the final journey. Unfortunately some of the best things in life don't last as long as we do.

My brother sent the family friend on her final journey today. When I get home it will seem strange to have my whole meal to myself. I can only hope there really is a Rainbow Bridge.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yes, sorry to hear this, I never owned a dog, but know from friends that they are wonderful. I don't know if there is home hospice that is for dogs, but anything in this case is difficult.

Hope you get through your loss OK!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Clair, one of our cats is often referred to as Chubb's or Fatty Catty do to the unfortunate fact that after she was fixed she blew up like a balloon and we have had a fight on our hands to try and get her to lose weight ever since.

Chubb's likes to bring us mice. Fortunately there is a dire shortage where we are, of mice, so we get flowers. She sits under a tree or bush until one falls or if need be she will take one off. It's comical to watch her sort through a dozen or more flowers on the ground until she finds just the perfect one.
Then they are left at the cat door or brought inside with great howling ceremony.

Steve.

https://col130.mail.live.com/att/Ge...b960fe808&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Clair, one of our cats is often referred to as Chubb's or Fatty Catty do to the unfortunate fact that after she was fixed she blew up like a balloon and we have had a fight on our hands to try and get her to lose weight ever since.

Chubb's likes to bring us mice. Fortunately there is a dire shortage where we are, of mice, so we get flowers. She sits under a tree or bush until one falls or if need be she will take one off. It's comical to watch her sort through a dozen or more flowers on the ground until she finds just the perfect one.
Then they are left at the cat door or brought inside with great howling ceremony.

Steve.

https://col130.mail.live.com/att/Ge...b960fe808&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att
That is beautiful, Steve! Made me miss my old fat cat Fred. She was a joy and she and I went threw cold, wet and hungry times together. Fred was a joy. She would bring home the last half of a mouse. I dunno if the ass end of a rodent was the greater gift, but I am going with the benefit of the doubt and agree it is. She would place the hind quarters in my slipper so that first thing in the morning, I stuck a toe into entrails. (Maybe it was a great cat practical joke? Wouldn't put it past her)

Honestly, to bring home gifts must mean Critters have to have a thought process and want to share and support the family. ?

Crazy thought, but if critters are capable of kind and thought. (like bringing gifts home) Must have a soul. "All good Dogs go to Heaven." So do Cats, but I am guessing it takes the lil buggers a wee bit longer to get there as they are more apt to put mouse butts in your slippers.

"Chasing bunny rabbits" in their sleep!? Nope, laughing and running away!

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yes, cats are natural born killers. Their mama didn't even have to teach them, they get it all by themselves. They will keep your yard vermin free. And they do like to show "the big cats" just how good they are.

I don't think they get the full measure of their "catness" until they have tasted blood. They just love it.