"kindalikeawhizzer"

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...n-id-x-2-1-2-in-od-fits-a-or-b-groove-v-belts

I just took a look at what your tractor supply has in weld on pulleys. This one is 2.50", but I don't know if the bore could be opened up enough to slip over 1 3/4". You'd need to take a measurement to see.

The next size up is 3 1/2" with a bore of 1 5/8. Even the bore would need to be opened up. When it says a pulley will take either an A or B pulley is that a description of belt width?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...n-id-x-3-1-2-in-od-fits-a-or-b-groove-v-belts

SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A is 1/2" and B is 5/8" belt. Let me look and see what i have here first,i could get them right here and zap it together for you.............................Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
A is 1/2" and B is 5/8" belt. Let me look and see what i have here first,i could get them right here and zap it together for you.............................Curt
curt, I missed your post this morning and starting making a pulley mount at work today. Here's what I got done so far.

I found some thick wall tubing and pressed a smaller piece into it. Then I
bored it to 5/8'' and broached a keyway into it. It's a full 1'' to give lots of support. Then I bored the tubing to 1 3/4'' inside and made it long enough to align with the rear sheave and then sb can cut it to length and weld the pulley onto it.

I will be looking to see if I have a pulley that I can bore to slip over the tube.

If you decide to make one also, let me know what size pulley you end up with and I can make a different size so sb can have a choice.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's Kool, I just got parts ready and will be using a 3" ideler pulley and will hug out the bearing when done. How deep did you make it, only needs about 1 1/2"
My thought is make it 2" and then he can put washer in it if needed to move it back out some
.........Curt
msrfan
looking for a set of broaches just the small 1/8,3/16,and 1/4" know of any?

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
How impressive is this? A community effort to help get our pal silverbear through a tight spot in his build!

I'd be so glad to contribute if I only had the knowledge, tools, material, etc., to make a contribution. But I don't. So I'll be content to be a spectator.

But it feels good to watch. I can tell you that for sure.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That's Kool, I just got parts ready and will be using a 3" ideler pulley and will hug out the bearing when done. How deep did you make it, only needs about 1 1/2"
My thought is make it 2" and then he can put washer in it if needed to move it back out some
.........Curt
msrfan
looking for a set of broaches just the small 1/8,3/16,and 1/4" know of any?
Okay curt, I'll try to fit a smaller pulley. Mine's about 2 3/8'' deep inside. I know a considerable amount will need to be removed.
The broach set I use is at work and cost around $300. I see some on ebay and especially like the Threadwell set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Threadwell-Little-Champ-Keyway-Broaches-Set-No-1-/251884816428

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
How impressive is this? A community effort to help get our pal silverbear through a tight spot in his build!

I'd be so glad to contribute if I only had the knowledge, tools, material, etc., to make a contribution. But I don't. So I'll be content to be a spectator.

But it feels good to watch. I can tell you that for sure.
Your verbal support is worth more than you might think. Keeps us going.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Not knowing what a broach was I googled it. I was familiar with the word as in "broaching a subject" like in bringing something up for discussion, also the big pin old ladies used to wear... a broach. But then I read that the word goes way back and has to do with piercing with a pointed tool like a spit into a roast, a tap into a keg or barrel, a ship into the wind or in our case...
"Broaching is a machining process that uses a toothed tool, called a broach, to remove material. There are two main types of broaching: linear and rotary. In linear broaching, which is the more common process, the broach is run linearly against a surface of the workpiece to effect the cut"

Glad you got your set of broaches, Curt. And I got some new to me meanings to an old word. Thanks. When I signed up with this forum I knew there were things I wanted to learn about, but I had no idea how vast the subject is and of all the fine people here who are both students and teachers at the same time. My kind of school!
SB

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes i have wanted a set for a long time and just keep holding off,and when i seen this said that it do now or never.
Yes i also have learned a lot from home made tools,to engine tuning,whats good and whats not. The best part is the stuff that is so simple WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT. Sorta thing,just seeing someone else's version does it. and like msrfan said Your verbal support is worth more than you might think,well worth the fun doing it .........Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes, wheelwoman, it is a very nice tool that I use occasionally and will have to purchase when I retire.

Okay sb, I made a crude pulley this morning that will help you set up your final drive alignment. It slips back and forth on the tubing. When you determine the position, just have it welded in place and remove the excess. With the close tolerances to work with, I could only manage a 3'' O.D. also. Curt may come up with something better, but you can use mine to get your dimensions.

PM your shipping address and I'll get it in the mail. We'll get this figured out one way or the other.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, wheelwoman, it is a very nice tool that I use occasionally and will have to purchase when I retire.

Okay sb, I made a crude pulley this morning that will help you set up your final drive alignment. It slips back and forth on the tubing. When you determine the position, just have it welded in place and remove the excess. With the close tolerances to work with, I could only manage a 3'' O.D. also. Curt may come up with something better, but you can use mine to get your dimensions.

PM your shipping address and I'll get it in the mail. We'll get this figured out one way or the other.

I can't thank you enough for your consideration, kindness and generosity. It is truly remarkable. I will try in my own way to pass it along as best I can. And really nice work, too!
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
So today i was out digging through my stuff measuring,and the smallest pulley i can do is also 3". So now seance making 2 of the same,unless you would like a 3 1/2",i have all the parts and can do it anytime................Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
So today i was out digging through my stuff measuring,and the smallest pulley i can do is also 3". So now seance making 2 of the same,unless you would like a 3 1/2",i have all the parts and can do it anytime................Curt
Hi curt, the 3 1/2'' may be what he needs if mine is too low gearing. It's good to know it's available.