just ordered my first motor kit, it will be here tomorrow

GoldenMotor.com

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
So I just ordered 50cc flat head 2 stroke motor kit from BGF a few days ago to put on an old bike. I have been preparing the bike this weekend, I have all of the tools ready, I moved the front brake lever to the right side temporarily removed the rear brake's cable and handle until I can get a dual-pull handle. Basically I got the smallest and least powerful kit that I could find so that hopefully the bearings in the motor and the spokes on the rear wheel will last longer, and I plan to keep the rpm's on the motor low. My plan to clean the stuff out of the crankcase is to pour gas into the intake port, shake it around to collect the dirt and then pour it out, then repeat 3-4 times, and do the same through the spark plug hole, then let it evaporate out of the motor for an hour or 2. Would this cause any problems? I will also wash out the gas tank first with water, then dry it then rinse it with gas. Will the water hurt it? Do I need to do more? I plan to break it in for an hour at 16-1 gas to oil at 15 mph, 15 minute runs and 15 minute breaks for a half tank then 20-1 for a full tank at 15-20 mph, 30 minute runs, 15 minutes breaks. Does this sound right? The most motor experience of this type I've had is a gas scooter that broke in half literally after 3 weeks on a small pothole. Any advice would be great, but I don't feel comfortable taking apart the motor and I can't buy anything right now. I will be installing the kit tomorrow afternoon when it arrives. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
1. Welcome to the forum.

3. DO NOT USE 16:1 for break in....24:1 is fine.
Having said that, I break mine in on the fuel I run them on- 40:1.
4. Take you time and do it right.
5. Have fun

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
welcome rudy to the best site on the net for help building your bike. what motor did you get from bgf, ive bought 2 from him with good luck, just be careful removing the screws in the side covers. easy to strip. i heated mine with micro torch to help break them free. good luck with your build remember to post some pics.peace

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Welcome, and this IS the best forum at your disposal, without a doubt. Before even unpacking the box, read the link below. There are topics concerning the HT engine, that I guarantee will save you time and reduce future issues. We've have all had one or more issues with these engines one time or another.

Pre install tips.

Good luck and safe riding.
Ron

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the quick replies, guys, this is the motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190669182050?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is on the truck for delivery today and fedex usually gets here around 2:30. I had already mixed the 1:16 gas, but if 1:24 is better I can dilute it a bit, but I can't get new gas because my budget is $5 for the next week. I am looking for a new fuel line and a new spark plug cord at a local lawn mower scrap yard. You never know what you will find and they will give it to me for free. I will post some pics later today or tomorrow. So rinsing the gas tank with water and letting it dry for a few hours to save gas won't hurt it?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thanks for the quick replies, guys, this is the motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190669182050?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is on the truck for delivery today and fedex usually gets here around 2:30. I had already mixed the 1:16 gas, but if 1:24 is better I can dilute it a bit, but I can't get new gas because my budget is $5 for the next week. I am looking for a new fuel line and a new spark plug cord at a local lawn mower scrap yard. You never know what you will find and they will give it to me for free. I will post some pics later today or tomorrow. So rinsing the gas tank with water and letting it dry for a few hours to save gas won't hurt it?
I know you mean 16:1 and 24:1, don't put a mix of 16:1 in that engine. I start with at least 20:1 but 24:1 is fine. Truthfully if your budget is $5.00, I'd put off installing the engine at this time, seriously. Use the same fuel you mixed, divide if you don't have enough room, and then add more gas to the mixture, to attain a 20:1 or 24:1. I never put water in a fuel tank, weather I'm rinsing it out or wielding on it.

Last edited:

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks, My budget is $5 for the next 2-3 days, then I will have about $50 to spend. I have about 1 gallon of unmixed gas and 1 gallon of mixed, about how much unmixed should I add to the mixed? I was thinking 1/4 - 1/3 of a gallon. I'm going for 20:1. And I'll use an air compressor for the gas tank. Thanks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just my suggestion, but if you mixed 1 gallon at 16:1 and have another gallon of unmixed, pour half that into the mixed gallon, and you'll have 24:1, right?

I'd pour the whole gallon in then have 2 gallons of 32:1, which is still more oil than I break my engines in with (40:1).

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks, the kit arrived at 12:30, I finished the bike, I mixed about a third of a gallon in and it runs great. I took it up to about 15 mph for 10 minute runs today, and have about an hour on it. The power has gone up quite a bit since I first started it. That's normal, right? And will it continue to go up much more? It doesn't have very much power right now. All of the nuts and bolts are tight, and I will be getting some locktite in the next few days. Red, right? I have also had to tighten the chain about 4 times now, waiting longer each time. Also, after a 10 minute run at 15 mph, and 5 minutes cooling, I can touch the cylinder and it's just warm. Does that mean I can start running it longer and on hills now? maybe 30 minute runs tomorrow? I would post pics but its to dark out (9:30 pm). Tomorrow. Thanks.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
As for breaking in at 32:1, I appreciate the advice, but I have ruined multiple trimmer and lawnmower engines by not using enough 2-stroke oil, so using that little oil just makes me nervous when the instructions say 16:1. In the end I went with about 22:1, and will use 32:1 when it has gone through a full tank of gas.

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Blue is more practical. You'll need heat like a propane torch to remove nuts with red locktite. But definately, definately put loctite on every nut (primarily the mounting nuts and studs). I never put any on my sprocket clamp because the vibrations don't get to that very much and it already has a lock nut and washer on them.

I put them on my head bolts too after torquing them to 96inch pounds. Never a problem last 500 miles.

You'll notice power gains for the first 300-500 miles. Tuning your carburetor will help a lot too. If you want help with that you'll have to tell us what type you have, CNS V# or NT.

When I broke my engine in I was basically WOT or not.. I am still WOT or not. I'm also running very rich though so I am incapable of over reving it so my WOT may not be the same as yours. WOT= Wide open throttle.

I had similar experience with the chain stretching. It does quite a lot in the first 10's of miles.

Whatever you do, don't overtighten things. This is soft aluminum. It's also a cheaply made engine. It needs whatever help you can give it, but in my personal opinion it can also take abuse in some aspects because of its high tolerance levels. (compression is different from engine to engine).

With a 44tooth sprocket I max out at 25-27mph running rich (4 stroking at half-speed to full-speed.) Have fun! Lots of parts you can upgrade to get very noticeable power gains. Primarily a tuned expansion chamber.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks for your advice, I will use blue locktite. I would like to tune my carb to run slightly rich, because I don't want the motor to be able to over-rev. I'm not sure what it is, but if it helps I will take some pics, and it has the needle or pin on the slide connected to the throttle that sticks out about an inch. From what I have read, I think it's an nt.

Also I am having some problems with the cables tightening when I zip-tie them to the bike. Does this happen when they are twisted? I had them tied and wrapped around the bike tightly. Would it help to tie them loosely with wide turns, maybe just in one spot? With the first setup, it was stuck at full throttle and the clutch wouldn't come out. I removed the ties and it worked fine, but the cables are hanging out way to far.

As for upgrade parts, I would rather have the motor last longer than give more power, I was just wondering what to expect from it in the next few days. So far it has about 15 miles on it and the power has gone up by about 20%. If it increases for 3-500 miles, I will be really happy. Thanks.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
Also what type of motor are you running Rocky_Motor? Same as mine?
one more thing: Could I just put high quality locknuts on the motor mount studs? They're like $0.20 each.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
I rode it about 60 miles today, turning the motor off and pedaling to cool it off to 100 degrees or so every half hour, as I was just getting home, the muffler end cap fell off, and I instantly lost 75% of my power. Now with the cap off it won't idle at all, and after warming up for a while while being restarted many times, I can get it to drive the bike a bit, but it seems to not want to stay running. The carb is fine, the float is working, the jet is clear, I moved the clip, it made it worse both ways. I read that replacing the muffler will fix the problem, but after running it for 10 minutes or so without the cap would I have ruined the motor? It still spins freely with the spark plug out and never completely stopped working, it just wouldn't idle. I just don't want to get a new muffler for $30 if the problem is a burned motor. Also, here's a picture from this morning at a friends house.

Attachments

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
nice bike,doubt you toasted motor,ive taken my cap off and run motor,as you i didnt get any power gains so i put it back on with no issues.just replace cap if its lost replace muffler.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thanks, the kit arrived at 12:30, I finished the bike, I mixed about a third of a gallon in and it runs great. I took it up to about 15 mph for 10 minute runs today, and have about an hour on it. The power has gone up quite a bit since I first started it. That's normal, right? And will it continue to go up much more? It doesn't have very much power right now. All of the nuts and bolts are tight, and I will be getting some locktite in the next few days. Red, right? I have also had to tighten the chain about 4 times now, waiting longer each time. Also, after a 10 minute run at 15 mph, and 5 minutes cooling, I can touch the cylinder and it's just warm. Does that mean I can start running it longer and on hills now? maybe 30 minute runs tomorrow? I would post pics but its to dark out (9:30 pm). Tomorrow. Thanks.
I use red...DO NOT use red on bolts....just studs. Don't use it on a stud that you want to remove easily and that you can't use heat on. It will be there. I use red on cylinder studs, intake, exhaust studs and the engine mounting studs...that's all for me.