IZIP to GAS Scooter Project

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Guess it depends on the particular bike and to each his own.

Can't wait to see what you put together Lowracer!

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Whew....you guys were beginning to make me nervous.
***The thread that started WWIII***
And I thought there was unrest in the Middle East...
LOL
We are serious about our bike hobby!
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I bought this yesterday to see how it performs.
Its got a Tanaka 40cc engine so I know it will be quite the little beast.
I should have it in about a week. I think I have a buyer for the IZIP homegrown scooter & will know later today after the test drive.
I still haven't bought an engine yet for the MTB frame scooter project after the Subaru 35cc got sent back to seller.
-Low-

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Oh snap! Next its gonna be a go-kart lol! That thing is so compact, I should look around for one to stick in the trunk of the car for getting around town.

These little two strokes are amazing how tiny and light they are!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I have been looking at the Staton-Inc Axle mount kit with the same motor. Only real issue I have is they don't have the 20" wheel in stock. What you guys think? Get the staton kit to get around and build my 'scooter' to play around?

Nothing doing now anyhow,no funds=no fun.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
D gizzle...Do it!
These scoots are tons of fun, but I wont be commuting on one like I can on the motorized bicycle.
I think an axle mount on a small scooter wheel would be too low to the ground on tight turns?
I do prefer the 2 strokes over the 4's.
Its starting to get warm here during the day & playing outdoors on motorized contraptions is my idea of fun.
The scooters do fit nice in the back of my Camry without having to fold the seats down.
I can get 2 in there fairly easily.
-Lowracer-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
As soon as staton has the wheel in stock I think I will. But its going on my Pacific Sabotage bmx/cruiser. The scooter is going to have a Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke 'in-frame' and later its gonna get a 3- or 5-speed IGH added in. There should be enough room in the back of my Tahoe for both of them. Maybe.

Gotta get some clamps so I can start the scooter build thread. I can't find any build like it.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I wouldn't wait on money for the Staton kit, it still uses chain even though its axle mounted. You can get that engine and a myriad of pocket bike gearboxes off ebay for way cheaper! You can fab up something simple and beefy and put the motor anywhere you'd like!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I'm looking for the motor but its not cheap by itself. If I get the right gearbox its going in the frame. I think I found some clamps(thank you CrazyHorse!) that would hold the gearbox from the axle mount kit in the frame.

Piratecycles also has a Micargi Hero with a 66cc motor kit installed for $500. But,how old is that motor?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Since the Subaru Robin had to be sent back to the seller, & I dont want to pilage a Tanaka off one of my two motorized bicycles, I decided to make use of one of my boxed up & sworn never to revive Cag's.
I figured since I have 3 of them and none are blown, I'll have plenty of spare parts should I need to swap something. Also, this cag will turn this scooter into an overpowered monster & a real hoot to rip around on. I'm not sure if this scooter will see much daylight once the Bladez Moby XL arrives this Friday, but you never know...I have a thing for the underdog.
Hope you enjoy the latest pics
-Lowracer-

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
That thing's so effing sick, Lowracer you dunnit again!

Why was it you didn't like the Cag motors? Maybe we can find solutions, I'm interested because the Motobike will use one.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
The Cag engine in its higher powered setup (stage 2 or stage 3) is like any high powered beast...fun while it lasts.
They are prone to loosening head bolts, stripping case threads, clutch spring breakage, poor carbs, drip, spew fuel...etc.
Dont get me wrong, when its on...its on! Just loud as heck...
'The Beast' when it was a front belt drive Cag powered with expansion chamber hit 53 MPH & was so fun to ride.
From what I hear, the Chung Yang GP460 engine that comes on many of the high powered Gopeds also has the same story...The old Zenoah G43 on older Goped GSR40's was the engine that you couldn't kill kinda like my Tanaka 40cc...A little less top end power but reliability.
There is a new lower powered Cag on eBay now for 49.99 w/free shipping including a transmission...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40cc-2-Stro...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c5c52c33&vxp=mtr
I almost hit the button (but didn't).
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
So basically they need to be gone over and all the lower grade hardware replaced, head bolts replaced with studs, a freewheel to keep from snapping clutch springs, and lots of loctite, I can handle that!

I think if my speedometer is right I did nearly 60 today on the OCC coming off a downhill run. I'm still seeing blurry, lol!

Holy crap I should buy a ton of those, that's an awesome deal!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah for 49.99 those are a deal especially since those transmissions new on eBay bring 25.00 (9searched completed listings). I'd buy one & take-off that trans & relist just the trans. Then you have a new engine for $25...
I added some metal for bracing today. Looks like I'll have just enough room to add a rear derailleur as an adjustable chain tensioner. I hooked up the throttle & rear brake too.
Its almost test drive time....
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I received the BladeZ Moby XL today & unboxed it, went over all the nuts & bolts, adjusted the front brake & took it out for a spin...The Tanaka 40cc is awesome & the scooter handles nice...
I also worked on the 'scooter from bike project' some more today.
I hooked up the rear derailleur (chain tensioner), swapped wooden decks for a nicer thick Goped deck I got cheap, & chain.
I also took it on its maiden voyage.
This thing rips!
I think it handles as good as any of the other 3 scooters I have now & is much lighter.
The Cag performed well on the 1st test drive, but when I tried to get it going for the 2nd test drive, the fuel getting by the carb was stinking up the garage & it wouldn't start after numerous pulls....I HATE CAGS!
So now I'm either going to use the Tanaka 40cc from the BladeZ & sell the rest of the BladeZ as a rolling chassis, or find a new engine for this scooter project cause I just wont put myself through life dealing with another Cag...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Hey low,is there a dependable gearbox for the tanaka 40? Or one that's cheap to upgrade or replace? I really want to use that motor for the next NEXT build. I think one of statons gearboxs would work,but the kit I'm looking at is 800 BIG ONES! And of course I have to get new wheels,tires,etc.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Ok 16v,but what am I looking for? I'm completely new to 2 stroke anything. I just want something that can handle a little bit of tortute,ya know? I like the staton kits(obviously) but I'd like to build a 2 speed crankshift bmx. Then with the option of a 3 speed rear IGH make it a 6 speed. Or just keep it a single speed running off a 20" disc brake rear wheel.

My wife says my brain needs to sleep too.