IZIP to GAS Scooter Project

GoldenMotor.com

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
LOW, buy the 40cc!

I would buy the $30 box but it won't mount anywhere near where I need it. And you ate correct,it is 3.1:1.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
The 40cc is sweet, but the 32cc is quieter without needing an aftermarket pipe to get it quieter.
I'll take either to be honest
-Lowracer-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I really just saw 2.2hp on a 40cc and keep hearing how good these motors are. Plus I order the tranny so its time to get the sprocket so I can at least figure out how to mount it. Or what I'm going to mount it on. And a cool looking pipe sounds good. Already found an air filter for it too.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I might end up with the Mitsubishi TLE33 since new w/ shipping its $200.
Still searching for a Tanaka though since I have experience with them & they have never let me down. The 40cc works well on the heavier DH MTB & the 32cc is plenty for a stand up scooter where top speed doesn't need to be as much.
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think you should try the HF auger motor, it's on sale right now, use a 20% off coupon and put an extended service plan on it. :)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I dont know enough about those HF engines.
I do know that today I went & bought a new 'sawzall' from HF for $19.99
I got the same sawzall at home that I bought last year that just carped out & I'm morally deciding if it would be wrong to just throw away the messed up one or re-boxing it back up & returning it for a refund within the std 90 day warranty?
Any suggestions?
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Just for sheetz & giggles, i installed the Tanaka 40cc onto this new scooter from bike project.
It is totally awesome with this engine & handles better than my other three scooters.
Sure wish I can find another Tanaka 40cc for sale at a good price?
Here's the pic.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I bought my last one off eBay for $194 + $10 shipping & it was brand new but they only had 1 to sell.
If I could get them for that price again I'd try to buy 3!
Had a blast with the kids today riding all around the neighborhood on our three homemade gas powered scooters.
Here's a pic of them parked by our local playground.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I ended up finding a new Mitsubishi 43cc 2 stroke engine for cheap. Once it arrives & I get it broken in, I'll report my findings.
I've heard good things about Mitsubishi engines too...
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got the engine today & she's a beauty.
I was going to mount it onto the Banshee Scream DH MTB, but it doesnt fit well (rear drive channel height adjuster hits the engine), so its going on the scooter. Here is a pic of it mounted. I still need to hook up a new throttle cable & I want to brace the rear engine mount better (bought some steel bar today at Lowes). I should get it fired up tomorrow for a warm up & test drive to break it in slowly.
I'll post 1st impressions & comparisons to the Tanaka 40cc.
I'll probably also start looking for a better exhaust system to further enhance the total engine experience...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I handled making the new throttle cable this morning.
It rained alot last night & the roads in my community had just started to dry up.
I half filled up the fuel tank with pre-mix (super unleaded no ethanol & 40:1 w/Lucas air cooled 2 stroke oil), pumped the primer bulb a few times until I saw gas flow & flipped the choke. She started on the 2nd pull & purred like a kitten. The Mitsubishi 43cc is definitely quieter than my Tanaka 40cc when compared with stock OEM mufflers. I was able to quiet down & add performance to the Tanaka 40cc simply by bolting on an 80cc china girl engine pipe & widening the header bolt holes a bit. I'll run the Mitsubishi thru break-in with the stock muffler but already began searching for an aftermarket pipe, either a wraparound scooter pipe or a quieter pipe. The wraparound scooter pipes are loud, but do increase performance. I'm looking for increased performance but not loud.
Here are 2 pipes I am considering for about $40/ea.
Size matters on the scooter since its very low to the ground.
Let me know what you think?

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The one on the right looks a lot like a long poo pipe, which I've tried on a 66 HT and it sounded mellow and smoothed out the power and gave good torque. I bet the left one would have more of a powerband and make more tinging noises in the chamber, but make more peak power.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the one you used on the 66 HT.
I took the new scooter out with me today & rode it around a bit & let others try it out.
I got an offer for $500 but wasn't planning on putting this one up for sale.
If the guy calls me tomorrow, I might let it go & build up another one with the same engine on a better frame. I still want to build a full suspension stand-up scooter with a similar frame to my 2 motorized bicycles.
-Lowracer-