IZIP to GAS Scooter Project

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I hit the sprocket with a hand file while looking at an 18T freewheel I had laying around for comparison. This is probably all I need to do to get it nice again.
The ends of the teeth need to be tapered to enter the chain snag-free. Dax sells this sprocket like a cookie that came right off the cutter.
-Low-

Attachments

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
If you can get the correct one from fancy, you'll be golden. Thats too bad they sent a #420 instead of 410, or whatever it was you received.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
bowljoman,
It was larger than a 420.
I bought 3/16" chain & it still didnt fit.
I returned it & they refunded my money but I still got to pay shipping back to them without reimbursement & they mislisted it?
Oh well.
Yeah, I would rather have the correct ones but will make due with what I can.
I probably wont be buying anything else from Fancy Scooters unless I absolutely have to.
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I installed the 10T sprocket after filing the teeth & took it for a test drive. The chain didn't fly off & it just sounds much better. I only hope the DAX 10T last awhile. I read on here somewhere that they wear out quickly?
Bowljoman,
You know anyone selling a lightly used 10-12T?
-Lowracer-

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I installed the 10T sprocket after filing the teeth & took it for a test drive. The chain didn't fly off & it just sounds much better. I only hope the DAX 10T last awhile. I read on here somewhere that they wear out quickly?
Bowljoman,
You know anyone selling a lightly used 10-12T?
-Lowracer-
Well, not if fancy has run out of them :-||

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
That's why I ask, was it easy to file like mild steel or was it hardened like tool steel? Good sprockets that last a long time are hardened carbon steel. If it was easy to file I don't expect it to last very long. If it was soft I suggest heating it up red hot and dropping it in a cup of two stroke oil, I doubt they used just plain mild steel so if it has carbon content it will harden it by a quench.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
Its gotta be mild steel cause I was able to hand file it fairly quickly.
I have run aluminum sprockets on many bicycles in the past & they lasted a long time, so I'm hoping this will as well, especially since it wont be getting near the mileage as my motorized bicycles. Kinda built these just for putting around with the kids.
I bought my last engine (yeah right) this morning off eBay. This one might end up on the 'bicycle to scooter' conversion.
Its a used Subaru Robin EH035 that the seller described as 'runs like a top'.
I got it for $100 + $20 shipping.
I had the same engine on my 1st motorized bicycle & it ran great. I almost wish I never sold it...
Oh well, you live you learn.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Only problem with the 25cc is that it has a 52mm clutch & all my transmission drivers use a 78mm clutch.
I'm also not too sure if a 25cc 4 stroke would have enough power?
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I guess you're right, I might just use a little two stroke like on your scooters or buy another Cag motor since they're the hot stuff in pocket bikes right now.

How eould you say those piston port 2 strokes for lawn equipment stack up against the cag motors you used in the past?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I went to the hardware store today & got a few nice stainless steel, M6x1.0 metric hex key bolts to better bolt the engine & transmission to the engine mount. I'll probably also cut some pieces of metal to brace the two top engine/transmission bolts to the engine mount. I got home from work & took the scooter for a test spin since the rain had stopped & the roads dried up.
The 22t definitely adds to the top speed & feels properly geared for this engine.
The Tanaka 32cc has a better top end kick so my daughter on her scooter will still be smoking me...lol
These are the last 2 pics I'll be posting on this scooter & will probably need to start another build thread for the 'MTB Frame to Scooter Conversion' once I get the Subaru Robin EH035.
I'll need to order another 5:1 pocket bike transmission or I could do a friction drive & buy nothing?
We will sort it out soon enough.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I took it out today for an extended ride even though it was cold out.
It cruises nicely at 23 or so mph and doesnt feel squirrelly at all.
I got an interested buyer in 'The Beast' & may let it go for $1500 with the Tanaka 47r.
If I dont end up selling it, I will either do the DIY shift kit I've been meaning to do (got all the parts, just didn't wanna fix what aint broke) or maybe turn the DH frame into a stand-up scooter (would be sick), or keep it the way it is & ride it...lol
-Lowracer-

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
That's awesome news on the scooter! If you can get 1500 I say go for it but it would also be sweet to see the beast get a shift kit. With that 47r that thing would fly with the use of more gears!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
MTB to Gas Scooter Project

I did some more work today on my last scooter project.
This is the one where I'm converting a normal MTB into a standup scooter.
I was having the toughest time trying to figure out a floorboard and yesterday I was getting frustrated after spending most of the day in the garage & coming up with a few cut-in-half crankarms & no floorboard.
I finally got it figured out & will be using a better piece of wood than the one you see in these pics. I'll probably grip tape it as well & use some soft compound skateboard riser pads as bumper cushions under the wood.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I received 2 wooden Goped decks I found on eBay & am debating using one of them for this project (would need to cut the heck out of it) or buying a $9.00 hardwood cutting board from Walmart?
Either would be strong enough for this application.
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Another option is any old piece of thick aluminum, like some hardware store diamondplate with a couple bends in it for rigidity transversely with the bike. I don't think floor"boards" technically need to be mad of wood, jus that you can stand in operation legally. That makes it so you can use anything that looks cool that's strong enough.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I actually bid on a few billet aluminum goped decks on eBay but lost them all.
I ended up with 2 wood goped decks. 1 new fully grip-taped & 1 used partially grip-taped.
I havent mounted either yet, but will probably put the new one on one of the electric to gas conversion scooters & the used one will get cut & put on the bicycle frame to scooter.
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Hey I'm getting a BMX in the mail from Walfart and putting a HF Predator auger on it. Whatta you think, should I keep pedals and rack mount it, or should I put some pegs where the cranks were instead of the front axle and make it a goped and mount the motor below like a moped?

heres the bike
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-X-Games-FS20-Boys-BMX-Bike/22899846

here's the motor and 33:1 trans
http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120414/52cc_71cc_Earth_Auger_fastly_dig_hole.jpg

I can gear the motor 1:1 with the rear axle and it will top out at about 18mph redline which would be cool for a legal scooter, maybe overdrive it a bit to about 30 ish

We've been bouncing ideas off each other for a while and since you have a lot of experience with these and its just like your current build I thought I'd ask what has worked best for you, and if you think its worth keeping pedals on a BMX. They kinda suck to pedal anyways, right? lol