IZIP to GAS Scooter Project

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Lookin good Bowl.
Today in the mail I got the scooter wheels, PB transmission, & rear 27T sprocket.
Just waiting a few more days for the Dax 10T sprockets to begin construction.
I brought my Razor e325 gas converted scooted in the trunk today & got a chance to let my boss ride it around before we had to get working. He loved it...Then it bean to rain & kept raining for the rest of the day...
-Low-

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I just remember you saying something about having a solid sprocket for better shifting?
For the nexus to shift, the hub must rotate faster than the chain-input. The solid rear sprocket would allow the rear wheel to push the tranny hub, but may result higher chance of throwing the chain when things are slack.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Bowlman,
Did u motorize the crossmax?
-Low-
**** yes I did.

I paid my friend to fabricate the rear swing arm. He's a pro welder and expert iron worker. I threw cash at him. 350$ for just fabbing up the rear wish-bone andcreating the pivot point using bushings and the forward shock.

All told, with the frame, rims/tire, transmission, controls, and deck the entire price I think, was under 1000$

Hopefully you can see this pic:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok, So I go visit one of my accounts on Wednesday & he tells me to take whats in the back of his pickup truck. The same day I visited my local bike store looking for throw aways & snagged a Mongoose BMX for its handlebars & gooseneck. I got to working on it today & this is where I'm at so far.
I don't have to dismantle my daughters 1st mtb & sure dont wanna use my titanium mtb for the scooter project (I still ride my mtb in the woods). This worked out really good.
-lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here's what's going on with the IZIP.
I am closer to mounting the engine/transmission rack.
I am still waiting for the 10T sprocket to arrive (should be today) to perfect the chainline prior to drilling. This sprocket is a flat thin one, so I need to see it on the output shaft since there is some room for it to move either closer to the transmission or outward toward the retaining clip.
Having 2 projects going on at one time is keeping me busy.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Looks great! Hard to tell from the shots how thick the strut is, but I'd back that mount with a strip of steel. That stuff tends to oscillate at load, and may be the agent behind thrown chains in the future.

It really is lookin fantastic. Follow through on the sprocket/shifter thingy, and you'll have a *****in ride.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are some more pics of the almost finished product.
Just gotta get some longer engine bolts (hardware store)
Need to find a shaft collar for the transmission output shaft to push up against the 10T sprocket which is up against the c-clip. Also got some foam grips to install (where's that hairspray)
The seat post comes off quickly with one bolt for standing room only riding.
My daughter already claimed this scooter & gave up the Razor e325 gas conversion to her older brother...lol
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
d_gizzle,
Yeah it looks like the rear rim is opposite the pics you sent.
I think it will be fine either way.
Bowljoman, Maybe for the next scooter I'll add in some gears.
These last 2 builds were for my kids & they are good with 'pull the lever & go'.
Thanks for all the posting...
-Low-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I wasn't sure as I've not yet used the rear wheels. But after seeing your bmx scooter convo,I will be. I've got 9 or 10 frames just laying around gathering dust.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
d_gizzle
Yeah, I am really looking forward to the last scooter build using a bicycle frame.
I'd rather use a BMX frame, but I'm committed to using this Fuji MTB frame w/ suspension fork.
I am using the 8" BMX handlebars for good hand position & both a threadless stem & quill stem gooseneck for the 7/8" BMX bars.
It took a little thinking, but I got it to work...I could cutoff the remaining piece of stem on the threadless part (just need the 1-1/8" clamp).
I'm looking forward to how it handles with the 12.5" scooter wheels front & rear?
I can always alter the front wheel size to affect height & steering angle to get the geometry perfect (16",20",24",26" 700c).
I'm still trying to get the floorboard thing figured out.
I messed with it some yesterday by using the bottom bracket & both crankarms going the same direction to get some kind of easy mount figured out, but nothing...
I removed the bottom bracket all together & am thinking of drilling into the bottom of the BB shell to mount a fixed pipe (free cannondale frame I cut apart) then attaching a cheap Walmart cutting board (bamboo?) to the pipe & to the chainstays. Maybe some skateboard griptape to top it off.
The nice thing about this project is that the rear v-brake mounts are now available to mount a cross beam since the little rear wheel is way below that point & then a pocketbike transmission bolts up to the cross beam.
If this conversion works out well, I think it could catch on as an easy build for the DIY'ers.
-Lowracer-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Using the brake mounts like that is why I want to do it. That and the fact that I still want the motor in frame. I think with the lower/heavier center gravity it should handle the way I'm comfortable with. Keep'em comin low!

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
My wheel base it very large, but all in all, I enjoy the 12 inch tire. I can peel out when I first push off, and I get a lite 'chirp' when I shift if conditions are right.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are a few more shots of the 2 completed 'electric to gas' scooters.
I had fun riding the IZIP around today with my daughter on the Razor blowing me away.
I need to file the edges of these 10T sprockets I got from DAX. The teeth aren't filed at all & cause some weird chain skipping once in a while. All the other sprockets I have are filed to prevent chain bite.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I've been wondering about that sprocket, let us know if you think its hardened when you do file the edges. my option right now is to weld a bike sprocket to the stock one lol.