IZIP to GAS Scooter Project

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
Cool bike, & good choice of engine.
I'm no longer a fan of pocket bike engines (got three in a box that could build one good one)
I guess its up to you whether you want to stand or sit?
I havent finished my 'MTB frame to stand up scooter project' since the engine is held up somewhere in MN w/the USPS & I was supposed to have it a week ago? The seller wants me to check in to my local USPS w the tracking# to see if they might have it...if not, he will refund me.
I prefer smaller 12" wheels for a scooter (or maybe keep the 20" front & drop to 12" rear depending on how this puppy handles once motored), dropping the frame/center of gravity way low. Then you can't pedal (too low).
I have an old heavy duty mongoose BMX frame sitting in the trunk of my car that I may use if I dont like the lightweight aluminum Fuji mtb frame scooter.
I wouldn't go buy a new bike to do this project...Bike stores always throw away bike stuff as customers upgrade to new bikes & goin 'dumpster diving' is half the fun.
-Low-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I was thinking something I could do to keep it simple would be to take the front pegs off, remove the cranks and just put the pegs where the cranks were for the time being.

My major motivation is running out of money and not wanting to buy wide cranks, and the stability that I've experienced on the electric bike with pegs. I think the bike would be more fun in action with pegs, jut because you always know where they are. It's simple to do with a long bolt or an axle and can be reversed if I can afford wide cranks later or bend mine. I think the law here says that a motorized scooter has a place to stand, but can have a place to sit. I always stand up on a bmx and wrench the lil monkey around so I think maybe this might work out well,

I think it's kinda funny Predator underrates this motor at 1.5 hp while all the other manufacturers list it at 2.5 hp, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, lol. I figure that this one with a year replacement warranty and no reeds should have a fighting chance at being used as a daily beater if I treat it nice. In reality its a way better life than being fired up and used for a couple post holes with rocks then shut off and put away, or just gunned and idled its whole life.

I chose the frame because it looks to have clearance underneath for the engine, hopefully that's the case because I think it would be nice down there if clearance is ok.

I dunno, just running thoughts off you because this is your area of great expertise. This could maybe be like a lightweight gas version of my razor pit bike which has been great but no range.

Keep it up!

EDIT:

Good news! It looks like the transmission is just narrow enough to fit between the standard Hyper brand BMX cranks, just like the ones I took off my Motobike. So that means I can just strip the motor of plastics and stick it under the bike and make a bracket, BAM! And there's the option of pedals or pegs if I set it up with some forethought. If there's a Harbor Freight near you go check it out, its on sale right now at mine, why I got it! :)

This is the summer of shredding for us all its awesome!

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
How much was the engine?
I went to my local post office looking for the Subaru Robin EH035 I oedered off eBay almost 2 weeks ago & they have no record of it. The seller also went to his post office & same story. He decided to give me a full refund, so now I'm back in the market for a good (low priced) engine. I really want another Tanaka 40cc but dont wanna spend $339. I bought my last one on eBay for like $190 & wish I could find another for that price. I really wish I had bought more of the Tanaka 32cc engines when Amazon had them for $89 w/free ship...I only bought the one :(
-Low-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It was on sale at $190 from 250 at HF and it was the store model so another 20% off + a service plan, around $200 total. Its not on their website, and only one of three stores in the area had it, the others either didn't stock it or it wasn't for sale. The manager at my local store where I got it said it's "seasonal". He said its new, and it has EPA stuff all over it so I have no idea. I hope there's no governor on the carb.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16V,
Sounds like a good deal if you find a buyer for the drilling part.
I am probably going to take the advise of Darwin & get a Mitsubishi 33cc from VIZA.
They are $165 + shipping & possibly on par with the Tanaka?
Both are Japanese.
I may need to sell the 31cc HuaSheng 4 stroke I just bought so that I'll have only 2-strokes (5 motorized toys, same fuel).
It runs perfect & super quiet.
-Low-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
This thing seems to be a Tanaka clone but with all the big bore stuff on it like on the stage 2 Cag, all the other manufacturers list it at 2.5 HP, pretty sure its underrated. The idea of having a replacement plan makes it like buying a motorbike from a dealership, and I think compared to jamming up on rocks and stuff, this combo should last a long time. If it works right after first start it will probably last years considering how many running X1,2,6 pocket bikes I see for sale.

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here is a BMX frame I picked up for free (being thrown out by LBS). I mocked it up with the 12" scooter wheels to see how it would look.
I am liking the 20" BMX frame better than the 26" MTB frame for a few reasons.

1- stronger frame w/heavy duty steel tubing & lower profile
2- higher bottom bracket has bit more ground clearance

I'm still going to motorize the 26" frame to see how it performs with the front shock, but may swap over to this frame if I want to compare handling characteristics?
Also, I found this nice 9/16" collar to fit behind the DAX 10T sprocket. It holds the sprocket up tight against the end snap ring & seems to be working well.
-lowracer-

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Low,that mongoose is the ticket. I stripped the paint off one(its solid chrome under the blue and grey paint!) and put it together for my brother in law. He weighs around 220lbs and rides off road all the time. He is still riding it,3 years later. I changed the forks and bars out but that's about it. For a Walmart frame its not too shabby.

Looks like fun!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Every Mongoose BMX I've ridden or had was an excellent bike. That's a great choice for offroad Low, I think maybe a 16er frame would be great for a street scooter. I think I'm gonna put knobbies on mine and see how much shenanigans I can get away with! :p

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Depends on the frame...
The one in that pic looks bombproof.
I'd really like to get a new cromo or thick aluminum BMX frame.
The Monoose frame in my mock-up was rusty on the outside & who knows what on the inside of them frame tubes...Its a thick strong frame, but I'd rather not have the rusty tubes to start with & today I sent the frame to the recycler.
-Low-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
16v,you made reference to a '16er' frame. Are you not talking about a 16" frame?

Low,if I can get a motor/tranny for the right price I might have to use it.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Basically, children's bikes are designed with their (albeit obese American) weight in mind, so being an adult riding one at speed motorized just seems like asking for it to me, lol.

20" BMX bikes made of steel are typically pretty bulletproof because they know lil husky kids are gonna take them off jumps. I feel safe riding most 20" BMX without a weight limit posted on them, not a 16" toddler bike.

You can find those motors off of ebay US sold as pocket bike engines, they're usually about $100 with a workable transmission for 8mm chain.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Every Mongoose BMX I've ridden or had was an excellent bike. That's a great choice for offroad Low, I think maybe a 16er frame would be great for a street scooter. I think I'm gonna put knobbies on mine and see how much shenanigans I can get away with! :p
What are you talking about right here in this post? 16er frame? What is that?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
If it wasn't beefy all over I wouldn't even consider it. I've got 3 toddlers and about 10-15 bike frames,all 12",16",and 12 20" frames. Its the only small frame I've seen that I've rode(not very fast!) that didn't feel "flexy". I would much rather do a 20" build,but whatever works is fine by me.