Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Leapin' lizards what a hassle are our Yank custodians worse than your own keepers in reverse? It's been decades since I've crossed to the northern climes, but even then it wasn't to shop so duties etc. were not a consideration.

My Saturday was much to do about parts and storage as well as picking up bits of roofing from the 24 hrs. plus of bomb winds....

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,
They are the Guardians of the Gate going both ways and they don't have mercy for those who are willing to try them. We have both the Douglas {Peace Arch} border crossing and the Pacific Highway border crossing which is the truck entry port within a 20 minute drive of us. The Peace Arch crossing is unique and worth a Google.

Most often there is a wait period during the day and at peak times it can be for hours unless you have a Nexus Pass which allows you to use a dedicated lane to entry both countries. Requires an extensive interview with border patrol agents from both countries and any recorded criminal acts rule you out from getting one.

The main restriction for anyone from the U.S. is a drunk driving conviction. It's a Class A felony in Canada. I do not know why it is but if someone shows up at the Canadian border and they're record shows they have one they may have a slim chance of getting in but usually they are turned back.

The U.S. side has so many electronic controls that you have to go through that they can tell you how much money is in you wallet and which way the bills are facing. X-rays, sniffers, listening devises to hear what your talking about while your waiting in line.

The best one I heard of was a chap headed to Seattle who was flagged and sent in to the office. He was hustled into the back room and they demanded to know what he was doing with explosives in his Suburban. He dumbfounded about what they are talking about. Took about half an hour for him to realize that it was the rockets he use to haul to his rocket clubs launch site.

He hadn't had a rocket in the vehicle for 2 years and the carpets had been vacuumed and shampooed many times since. It's better to stay on the up and up because getting away with anything is impossible and getting caught is a certainty. Not to mention the person in the booth can ban you for years or life from entering the U.S. and there is very little recourse to get it lifted.

Passports are required both ways or in my case an Enhanced Drivers License. Available in certain states as well. Special booth at the D.M.V. that you need to have an appointment for. They have an in depth page of questions you need to answer and then your information is sent to the F.B.I. and the R.C.M.P. so they can see if you have any convictions and when you are OKed they send your license in the mail with a pin number and then you have to activate your license using the pin number with a computer. You hold the drivers license up to a screen as you pull through the border crossing aisle. It comes with a lead lined sleeve that it goes into when it's in you wallet.

The Border Patrol Officer then puts the license in their computer and records where your going and for how long. Given what has happened in New Zealand and while it slows you down I'm glad they spend their life doing their job. Who knows what they have saved us from.

Canada doesn't have as many border controls as the U.S. has and what they have are well hidden. Fit the worlds view of Canada. They are just as intrusive in a polite way. Guns are the main thing since we have a strict gun control policy. Side arms have be highly restricted since the 1890's and long gun ownership requires a clean criminal record and a 2 day gun safety course. Semi automatic long guns are not allowed and of course fully automatics are not allowed either. Side arms are not allowed into Canada at all and long guns can be brought in if the proper government channels are followed.

Despite all the best efforts there are still plenty of gang shootings here with guns smuggled in from the U.S. Nothing's perfect but knives are the most common weapon used here.

You asked a simple question and once again received a novel in return.

Bought some fancy, for me, tools and can't wait to use them. Back to do battle with the garage gremlins.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve the travel world changed after 9-11 & this is our new reality. I traveled the world extensively for more than two decades & have been in and worked most of every N. & S. American country as well as the 7 central American countries (also considered a part of N. America)...though I've missed several of the 13 island nations I count 7 or 8 of those also visited. Not to mention protectorates, territories etc. in the Caribe. That's just this hemisphere & some of the other continents in which countries have since changed names. Though I was detained at some crossings (my thinking it was due to they could and because I had many passport stamps to obscure locations, not known as vacation resort destinations) some times I was detained more than a few days before being allowed to enter or depart a country. With that preface I believe that governments feel safer now, but I don't feel safe as a result; I now feel controlled in a similar fashion to that of the tribes under apartheid segregation in S. Africa or Rhodesia or our Native Americans under reservation law following extermination policy in the U.S.

I'm sorry that we've come to the point of treating all as criminals and terrorists at the border check points or ports of entry on air flights. It seems that terror has won the field & our own governments are celebrating their increased power and control over their citizens! Public safety is just a government ruse that I personally refuse and reject. Lol I really am a peaceful old guy but dang....

Tom that's some great bikes shown & shared.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I spent a few hours working on the tri car today. Most everything is back where it belongs in the shop and it's possible to move around the garage floor once again and the bench is cleared off. As usual I found a few things I'd forgotten about and every box opened was like Christmas.

Waylaid most of the week with gout and arthritis. Looking for a food trigger that may be causing it. I've been on a strict diet suggested by the doctor. The first day I had 3 eggs but it seems that they couldn't be Easter eggs. Live and learn. I added in a couple of bagels and it seems that that was the trigger food because the gout showed up a couple of days later. I'll miss bread products but nearly as much as I'll miss the gout. Time will tell if I'm right though the doctor thinks so.

Plan on having the chains on and the rear wheel stand tomorrow and if possible the clutch hooked up as well. I've forgotten where I left off with the clutch other than it was working.so there may be some fabricating needed.

Bought a 30amp dual voltage plasma cutter and a 110v spot welder. They were heavily discounted so there wasn't a better time to buy them. Heavy enough for what we'll need.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Bought a 30amp dual voltage plasma cutter and a 110v spot welder. They were heavily discounted so there wasn't a better time to buy them. Heavy enough for what we'll need.
Great acquisition Steve!
The plasma cutter is so much more convenient than a smoke wrench.
Tom from Rubicon

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve new tools help all manner of ailments as well. I've discovered all types of food influences as side benefits of my prescribed course of treatment for colitis and among the too numerous to mention foods on the banned list are all grains... wheat, rye, barley etc. and bread is the one food I miss the most. Since my affliction is life threatening and with no known cure; I've no problem eliminating any and all foods that act as "triggers", yet I do miss them. That said we are blessed when we find something that hurts us & we just avoid it as the solution! No medicine available (in my case) and therefore no added costs. I encourage you to rejoice when you find a new trigger my friend.

I too have been organizing and taking inventory of my parts situation and have forgotten where I left off on projects, but thanks to being a windy old guy that writes more than he builds these days I have a record to go back to & many photos taken (not posted to the forum) of my many attempts at progress so going back and reading and viewing is a great help, to my restarts.

I have to laugh at myself for posting my intended build directions over the years & personal plans for progress on my bikes when I read them months later...violent 180 degree bootlegger turns are frequently noted so please forgive my flaky and indecisive progress on most of my builds. My V-twin build is a good/bad example...two engines purchased, wide fork built, wide frame modified to fit d.o.t. wheels and tires...brakes and full suspension sorted out....fuel tank built and then I decide neither the 250 cc Yamaha nor the Briggs twin suit me, just didn't look the part!!! I'm a strange old guy for sure.

So you're back to it on the tri-car & I'm on to the sidecar. I'll wager you complete first Steve.

Still just having fun, Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Violent bootlegger turns, lmao. They are just better thoughts , or someone posting a better idea. Like why didn’t I think of that before? Make for a lot of extra parts, & $.LOL. I have done that so many times. Cut and make then redo, because, it’s what’s in the head does not always work , in reality......
..I have been working on a home brew clutch, and went through a bunch of skate board wheels before switching it nylon. All cheep except the new ones bought to replace the boggered up ones. May end up with 3D clutch in the end"
Glad to see you are back on it Steve, side note I haven’t had a drink in 23 years, although my arther is still there it hasn’ t Gotten any worse..........Curt

Reactions: indian22

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,
Colitis. I have a friend who has fought with that for many years. He had a framed list on his kitchen wall that was headed COLITIS, What I can eat and then there were two lists, one with what he couldn't eat that ran forever and an extremely short list of what was allowed. All the fun stuff was on the can't list and the can list didn't have one really enjoyable thing on it.
As he said, living has it's virtues.

It seems there is no "Cure" for gout either but it isn't life threatening thankfully. The relief medicines aren't healthy and can attack kidneys and liver over time so it's short time relief and finding what triggers the gout. I'm comfortable giving up what I have to and your right, how lucky am I to find the relief.

I seem to be sailing in the same ship. More talking than doing but the doing is gathering a little more traction as the weather improves. What has amazed me is how the ability to work in the cold unaffected diminished so short a time. When I say cold I mean subzero temperatures. Now it's below 40F it's a no go.

One hundred and eighty degree bootlegger turns. I wish I'd said that because how right you are. I was in the garage yesterday looking at the tri car and and holding up parts and thinking maybe I should just do this so it looks better and then having to remind me that the aim is to finish the bike and what it is will be fine.

The constant striving for perfection is a burden isn't it. Everyone is raving over what you've done and your still thinking about what you should have done and how you would of done it. It's curse and a blessing at the same time in so many ways.

And yes, I find myself looking for a better engine for the tri car. Mercifully it seems the only better one would be an original and that will never happen.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curt,
Art isn't to happy when you have a drink. Damned teetotaler but then his side kick Mr. Gout is as well and it seems we're in the church choir singing.

I'd say go for the 3D clutch. Cuts out the messing around and is a quality item and worth the money.

Steve.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
As we press onward to the goal, whatever that might be, attaining it is way secondary to the actual efforts expended. I feel my seemingly never complete attitude is less a factor of perfectionism and more an evasion of the regret I feel when a project is complete. My joy is in the memories constructed along the way and lessons learned. I'm also thankful for my progress photos taken during each build as they seem to validate my efforts better than the completed build ever will.

Spring has arrived in Indian Territory it seems and along with it I'm almost certain some progress will begin to appear.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Reran into a problem I'd forgotten about. The chain from the engine to the clutch needs to be stretched. I have a half link in it and when I try to install the link to join it together it's short by half the width of the pin. The motor can't be adjusted because of the way it had to be mounted.

With a full link in it the chain almost touches itself when tightened. Any ideas?

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA