How to run bearings in this set up?

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
No real precision necessary for the plug. It can be done with just hand tools. The little plates on the forks need welding but they are on the bottom of the plate so even a bad weld won't show. Also these 2 small plates won't get much stress applied to them I've seen the work you've done and this is well within your tool and skill set!

Rick C.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
No real precision necessary for the plug. It can be done with just hand tools. The little plates on the forks need welding but they are on the bottom of the plate so even a bad weld won't show. Also these 2 small plates won't get much stress applied to them I've seen the work you've done and this is well within your tool and skill set!

Rick C.
what if i drill holes through one of the metal plates to fasten the bracket to it?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
They are pretty thin. I drilled my 1/4" plate & didn't trust it to hold my leaf pack securely. So I added the plug described. Fork failure is my worst nightmare. In the short run it would probably work, but over time....

The leaf pack has to be stabilized for forces of compression and release and forces of the pack acting as a lever pivoting left and right. Any design selected has to stabilize these two basic forces acting on the spring during operation.

Rick C.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Think that is what I use also 1/4” plate, maybe 3/16”, you have to think of the springs as a breaker bar, they will have leverage. Mine where old school wide forks and are actually fitted with a sleeve in the bottom part already, 3/4 drill or reamer to fit cold roll, and or file the cold roll.
ya Rick I used fine thread to mount fender, and to gain room I turned the bolt head down some, also have extended the fork legs on one that was short.............Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Curt I give you and others the credit for altering the bicycle fork for use with the leaf spring. Then I got to study how Indian actually built the leaf fork from scratch & how sturdy that design is. They did not want their forks to fail!

Curt anything to keep a fender from getting into the front tire is worth the effort and using high grade and fine thread fasteners is a good idea.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welp, failure to launch, but damn does it look good sitting there. I'm not quite sure why it's not starting up. My guess is either the oil level is too low or not enough air is getting from the carb to the cylinder. Any guesses?
It does look great!

Yep basics. Plug tells a lot. If it's wet after a few pulls to start, fuel is there. While the plugs out check for a big fat spark. Compression basic check: compare the difficulty of the pull start with the plug out compared to when you were seriously trying to start her up. If all these are present check back with the forum. Low oil or bad sensor are possible. The old mechanics saying "That 90 percent of carb problems were electrical in nature " is still valid however air/fuel mix may be thing at times. Avoid shotgun solutions address one possibility at a time or you will end up with several problems rather than one.

Rick C.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
It does look great!

Yep basics. Plug tells a lot. If it's wet after a few pulls to start, fuel is there. While the plugs out check for a big fat spark. Compression basic check: compare the difficulty of the pull start with the plug out compared to when you were seriously trying to start her up. If all these are present check back with the forum. Low oil or bad sensor are possible. The old mechanics saying "That 90 percent of carb problems were electrical in nature " is still valid however air/fuel mix may be thing at times. Avoid shotgun solutions address one possibility at a time or you will end up with several problems rather than one.

Rick C.
I regret rushing the test yesterday. I didn't have enough time before sunset to diagnose anything properly. Come to think of it I did overlook the spark. Do you know how much oil is needed for an upright 212?

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
From memory I think 24oz of oil is the right number to start from but you'll probably loose 2 or so ounces from the crankcase vent tube. The oil sensor is very finicky and won't work upright. Just moving my 212 predator powered wood chipper around the lawn is enough to trip it. On the bike I removed it completely with the governor assembly. On the chipper I disconnected the sensor and wired the kill switch back up. I think after bypassing the wiring I was left with a stray ground wire that I covered up and zip tied out if the way. Kill switch works by grounding out the coil preventing spark so you want to cover it.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Welp, failure to launch, but damn does it look good sitting there. I'm not quite sure why it's not starting up. My guess is either the oil level is too low or not enough air is getting from the carb to the cylinder. Any guesses?
I am wondering if the low oil sensor could be shutting it down? Un-mount the engine and place it like it is suppose to be used (horizontal) then try starting
it. I would suspect that you filled the engine with oil sitting horizontal then mounted it in a sharp angle with the seat post mount and the low oil sensor on
the engine? That would cause the engine to be shutdown. Minibike owners usually remove that sensor since it causes problems offroad. Make sure the
plug is not wet with fuel, you have spark, the red shutdown switch is on for spark from the mag. A good aftermarket aluminum intake manifold should be
used to be sure there are no vacuum leaks. I can't tell by looking at the image which needs to be a closeup on the carburetor an shutdown switch wiring.

When running a Mikuni carb on first startup cold, always crack the throttle a little bit and then try pull starting the engine. You should have the rear
wheel off the ground just in case the engine starts in a high throttle position.
Is that a Mikuni copy or a real slide Mikuni which uses the fuel enrichment
lever much like a choke for starting the engine? A wet plug could be caused by a float valve sticking open which should show up on the fuel bowl vent
with an overflow. Check for spark first then (that eliminates switch shutoff). Note, a compression release on this engine could be a problem so you can't
really check the compression properly on this engine with a gauge. A slow easy pull on the pull-start rope should let you feel a good amount of
compression on the engine. I might also add, the intake gasket has to be positioned right concerning the engine and intake manifold, otherwise you will
have a vacuum leak and there's a way to get it on backwards! A lot of variables to check on.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Tom, I'd bet you are right! (^) Another thing, DUH, I forgot to turn the red shutdown switch to "On."
Lynne of MBrebel had a brain f@rt on a 78cc Pred. She was a 2smoke builder. Somebody nicer than me musta showed her the ON-OFF switch. That bike and it was a nice one, ran when I looked last. She lives bout 1/2 hr South of me.
To