How to run bearings in this set up?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
No real precision necessary for the plug. It can be done with just hand tools. The little plates on the forks need welding but they are on the bottom of the plate so even a bad weld won't show. Also these 2 small plates won't get much stress applied to them I've seen the work you've done and this is well within your tool and skill set!

Rick C.

Reactions: EZL

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Think I welded a piece of 3/4” cold roll to a plate then fitted it inside the fork tube. It was also drill and taped for mounting springs7/16” bolt, also drilled and taped the bolt for fender mount. 7/16 was the size of hole in the snowmobile springs I used......Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
No real precision necessary for the plug. It can be done with just hand tools. The little plates on the forks need welding but they are on the bottom of the plate so even a bad weld won't show. Also these 2 small plates won't get much stress applied to them I've seen the work you've done and this is well within your tool and skill set!

Rick C.
what if i drill holes through one of the metal plates to fasten the bracket to it?

Reactions: fasteddy and EZL

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
They are pretty thin. I drilled my 1/4" plate & didn't trust it to hold my leaf pack securely. So I added the plug described. Fork failure is my worst nightmare. In the short run it would probably work, but over time....

The leaf pack has to be stabilized for forces of compression and release and forces of the pack acting as a lever pivoting left and right. Any design selected has to stabilize these two basic forces acting on the spring during operation.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy and EZL

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Think that is what I use also 1/4” plate, maybe 3/16”, you have to think of the springs as a breaker bar, they will have leverage. Mine where old school wide forks and are actually fitted with a sleeve in the bottom part already, 3/4 drill or reamer to fit cold roll, and or file the cold roll.
ya Rick I used fine thread to mount fender, and to gain room I turned the bolt head down some, also have extended the fork legs on one that was short.............Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Curt I give you and others the credit for altering the bicycle fork for use with the leaf spring. Then I got to study how Indian actually built the leaf fork from scratch & how sturdy that design is. They did not want their forks to fail!

Curt anything to keep a fender from getting into the front tire is worth the effort and using high grade and fine thread fasteners is a good idea.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The trick is finding a good old school fork, like Monark made, hard to do now, not many around, best would be the springer fork with the straight legs. I made a small jig to straighten the legs some on regular old forks.