How to run bearings in this set up?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
A 5/8" ID/1 3/8" sealed bearing should be very easy to find.
I thought about that. The bearing pillows I have mount pretty well to the engine mount, but I don't feel too comfortable with messing with that piece.
Your motor mount plate should be ok, especially if it's welded to the frame.

If uncomfortable, increase the plate size, say, from 1/8" to 3/16"/1/4".

This might be part of what you're looking for:

and this:

If you can't find the correct size bearing, use this:

or this:

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The stresses there and what to weld to must be considered. I added gussets as well as connecting top to bottom tube with a couple of plates welded on where I mounted engine platform.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
A 5/8" ID/1 3/8" sealed bearing should be very easy to find.

Your motor mount plate should be ok, especially if it's welded to the frame.

If uncomfortable, increase the plate size, say, from 1/8" to 3/16"/1/4".

This might be part of what you're looking for:

and this:

If you can't find the correct size bearing, use this:

or this:

I like that conversion piece. The pedal shaft is 2 1/8" and no one seems to have that bearing, but that conversion piece looks like it would work. I'll take a look at it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Conversion piece is meant for three piece and the shaft is hard for bearings to rid on, so may not work for the trans shaft.......Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Conversion piece is meant for three piece and the shaft is hard for bearings to rid on, so may not work for the trans shaft.......Curt
What would you suggest, curt? Just looking for the proper sized bearings?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Maybe you can fit them inside the old bearing cups? I would have to check, but think it would bring it down to 2"........Curt

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
okay I have one last obstacle to get by. I found flanged bearings that fit the pedal shaft finally, but they're 2" outside diameter, 1" inside diameter. This leaves me with a 3/8 gap between the bearing and the gearbox shaft. What should I do? If anyone can find a 3/8 sleeve that would be great. I've been unable to find such a thing.

I'm considering something. What if I buy a 5/8 to 3/4 sleeve and then place a 3/4 to 1" sleeve over that?

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
okay I have one last obstacle to get by. I found flanged bearings that fit the pedal shaft finally, but they're 2" outside diameter, 1" inside diameter. This leaves me with a 3/8 gap between the bearing and the gearbox shaft. What should I do? If anyone can find a 3/8 sleeve that would be great. I've been unable to find such a thing.

I'm considering something. What if I buy a 5/8 to 3/4 sleeve and then place a 3/4 to 1" sleeve over that?
This MIGHT work:

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
This MIGHT work:

That looks promising. My only concern with those is the lack of thickness on then. If it was a perfect cylinder it would work best. I'll do some thinking though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I think you should be fine.

3/16" is very thick, and you'll have two bearings/bushings supporting the relatively short shaft.

Normal crank reducers for 6.5hp engines are 1/16"-1/8" thick.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You could always contact David Staton of Staton Inc. If he doesn't have what you need; he can make what you need.
I don't think Staton can beat this price @ $4

You don't want to run a bearing, then a sleeve within that bearing, then a sleeve within that sleeve, then a shaft.

How about this? A 2" OD bearing with a 5/8" ID:

Be very careful, though.

You need .001" or more interference fit.

You can't fit a 5/8" shaft in an ID sleeve/bearing hole that's exactly 5/8".

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

You don't want to run a bearing, then a sleeve within that bearing, then a sleeve within that sleeve, then a shaft.

Be very careful, though.

Just letting him know if he can't find what he's looking for David does do really good custom machining work.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018

Be very careful, though.

I went with the brushings. I'll see how it turns out

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a 5/8" OD jack shaft that's 11" long.

It runs thru a 3/4" ID hollow shaft with two flanged bushing.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
I have a 5/8" OD jack shaft that's 11" long.

It runs thru a 3/4" ID hollow shaft with two flanged bushing.
do you have a picture of the shaft? I'm just trying to thnik of how to keep the bushings in place without them falling deeper down the shaft.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I don't have pics right now.

If using flanged bushings, the flange keeps them from sliding inward.

When possible, have the bushings pressed into place. Then their ID is reamed to allow the shaft to revolve effortlessly inside the bushings.

If the bushings' OD is loose, you can always shim them or install lock collars to prevent them from falling out.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
I have 3 major obstacles left in this build. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) How to attach foot boards to the frame without permanent modification

2) how to attach the gearbox support to the frame

3) (optional) How to turn the fork into a leaf spring fork.

I know Howard B turned his fork into a leaf spring, but I can't find any good pictures of it and he's not on anymore.

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
P clamps and 3 piece clamps https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Piece-Clamps-161140/dp/B0068G08OS for mounting. Of course to your frame size. On the fork..mine was done by installing a shaft with a threaded bottom into the bottom of the fork. Then a pin through both and welded. Then drill a hole size of the shaft in leaf spring. Now it can be bolted to fork. Also a piece was welded to keep leaf from moving side to side. Rods are go cart axles and Heim joints.

Attachments