How to make some serious bread!

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
To do another Za and Calzone Hawaiian Style soon. I got the pineapple fresh and had the flies around till it ripened enough. Now there gone, I put the peeled pineapple in the frig. Blackforest ham I had them slice a little thicker so it does not burn to carbon as a topping.

MT

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Making some French baguettes today......reducing the amount of sugar and salt from my regular recipe. Interested to see how they turn out.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Folks were in Washington state a few days ago and brought me some fresh apples. Since there is a slight 'crispness' in the air, baked apples sounded like they needed to be made.....

Just apples, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, butter, & brown sugar.

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Za Hawaiian and Strawberry / Blueberry Turnover revisited. I did not let the pizza dough rise as much this time and it is just right for a crisp but also a bit chewy crust. The pan pizza type before was good but maybe slightly too much bread.

MT

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Oh! here you go with the Pizza again, My taste buds were set on fresh pumpkin bread now I'm gonna be geek'n for Pizza UUURRRGGGGGGG!!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was at the vegetable market and was to get a kabocha squash to use instead of pumpkin for some yeast bread, but only two left and they looked bad. I may just get some canned already pureed pumpkin when I am at the regular super market, cause the kabocha there cost 3 times as much.

MT

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm now making some pineapple/nutmeg cookies with a recipe from my great-great grandmother (never met her). My mom has made 'em for years and she finally gave me the recipe! Bestest cookies ever!!

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Yesterday I made some Pumpkin Bread in my Bread Machine but the recipe didn't call for any Sugar well this morning I toasted a couple of slices with some sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top and it was Bomb! the this afternoon I had a PBJ sandwich and the Pumpkin Bread was a delightful change from the usual.

I did have a taste for some traditional Sweet Pumpkin Bread Ya know being the season and all so I'll have to break out the 1940's cook book my Grandmother passed down and get the "GOOD OL RECIPE".

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
No matter what the recipe calls for in the bread machine cook book USE SUGAR! LOL!
My Bread maker is about 10 yrs. old but still new in the box when it was given to me a couple of weeks ago. (left over wedding gift I guess ?)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
No matter what the recipe calls for in the bread machine cook book USE SUGAR! LOL!
My Bread maker is about 10 yrs. old but still new in the box when it was given to me a couple of weeks ago. (left over wedding gift I guess ?)

Yep ---- at least a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have a bread machine I find that I wish was more like the way my earlier one I had worked. The bread just does come out too dense. I don't have that problem if I take the dough and cook it in the oven though. I have a big Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook so I usually opt for that instead. The replacement bread machine I've had for a long time looks nice stainless steel and is Cuisinart machine, but could work better. I'll try working out the bugs as I remember with the first machine the timer to start bread early in the am before you wake up so it is ready precisely when you get up, is way nice. Only thing is in my studio apartment is if you wake up after it is baking, you have a time with the fragrance in the air you can't fall back asleep.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
My Machine takes 4 1/2 hrs from start to finish and to tell the truth the bread is a little too perfect for instance I put in Chilies, bacon bits, cheese, black olives caramelized onions thinking that it would come out like the stuff in the grocery bakery dept. man the bread showed no sign of chunks of nothing, no cheese clusters, no stringy onions, no olive rings but it was tasty!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
FYI

Most all bread machines have a beeper that goes off when it is near finishing kneading process. For stuff you want to keep from getting mashed up in a blur you add those ingredients at that time. Otherwise just set an alarm based on observed time and throw in the stuff then.

I like to use blueberry and I would add some in the ingredients both at the start and just before kneading ends so you have the bread colored and also something that could possibly be recognized as blueberries in the bread.

MT

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! for the info
My machine has the initial mix, rest, kneed, fermentation then bake I think I'll have to pay close attention to the last cycle then add stuff I think if I added the Blueberries on mix cycle all I'd get is purple bread and my recipe book doesn't have to many combo's to choose from that include Sugar, I must have gotten a diabetic's book.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If the timing is not to accurate and you miss the time, then I would just open the lid and mix in by hand. But I would only do this as long is it has not risen much any or gotten hot yet, for safety reasons.

MT

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Scratch lasagna today!! Scratch gravy (sauce). Scratch noodles. Scratch.

However, I didn't make the cheese --- though mozzarella isn't that hard to make.......

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I have to seriously have a full day to make my Lasagna so unfortunately that's a 2 or 3 time a year thing but what you made is teasing the taste buds.