How to make some serious bread!

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I only use mine to knead the dough and do the first rise. After that, I take it out and finish the 'old-fashioned' way.

There's some 'no-knead' recipes, but you've gotta let 'em sit in the frig for a day.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Those soft pretzels I haven't had in way long time. They would be great with a cold brew. The one thing I remember though was the vendors selling them in Manhattan would also sell chest nuts that would always keep heated. The awful stink carried blocks. I hoped the people who bought the chest nuts had the inside part not smelling burned.

MT

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I used to make bread by hand when my children were growing up and would think nothing of hand kneading up a dozen loaves. Now that I'm older and have to live with this fatigue illness that I have I make no apologies for using a breadmaker to take the hard work out of baking homemade bread. My now adult children love my bread just as much as they did when they were small and the great thing about baking bread regularly is that it's way beyond anything that can be purchased at the supermarket and it's so easy on the household budget.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I used to make bread by hand when my children were growing up and would think nothing of hand kneading up a dozen loaves. Now that I'm older and have to live with this fatigue illness that I have I make no apologies for using a breadmaker to take the hard work out of baking homemade bread. My now adult children love my bread just as much as they did when they were small and the great thing about baking bread regularly is that it's way beyond anything that can be purchased at the supermarket and it's so easy on the household budget.

Exactly!!

Some people think that it's weird that I make my bread.......however, I just can't find my favorite recipe of onion & dill at any bakery. I can make 3 loaves for around 75cents total ---- compared to $3.50 each at the bakery!!

Plus, the grilled cheese that I'm having right now just wouldn't taste as good on store bought bread..........

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I was just given a bread making machine yesterday so watch out Cheese jalapeno and black olives with black forest ham chunks Look Out!

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I made some garlic bread yesterday with my breadmaker. The recipe calls for 9 cloves of garlic for one loaf. It is great bread when toasted and buttered. I will try a grilled cheese for lunch today. WARNING: The whole house (and part of the neighbourhood) got stinky when baking.

Helpful Hint: Go to the nearest thrift shop and pick up an electric carving knife. It is the greatest thing to use to slice bread. Mine came with the original box and a wall mount for $3.99 from the Salvation Army thrift shop.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Not a thing wrong with that!!

Tomorrow is my last day of vacation.....I think a few loaves are gonna be on the docket!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I made some garlic bread yesterday with my breadmaker. The recipe calls for 9 cloves of garlic for one loaf. It is great bread when toasted and buttered. I will try a grilled cheese for lunch today. WARNING: The whole house (and part of the neighbourhood) got stinky when baking.

Helpful Hint: Go to the nearest thrift shop and pick up an electric carving knife. It is the greatest thing to use to slice bread. Mine came with the original box and a wall mount for $3.99 from the Salvation Army thrift shop.

I had some recipe for chicken that used like 9 bulbs, I went with that, but I think they meant 9 cloves of garlic. It was palatable but you really sweat out that garlic with that much in the recipe.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Making some parmesan/dill/onion bread ---- starting on the second rise........sure smells good!!

Also made some salsa with a touch of ghost pepper........for those that make salsa, the secret ingredient is a splash of dill pickle juice. Really.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Are you using dill seed or dill weed ? I find that dill weed has a very unique flavor and there is no seed so it doesn't get stuck in yer teeth.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I use dill weed......it's great in bread, green beans, fish, squash, etc. I use quite a bit. It's one of my 'go to' spices.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Very Healthy herb, aids in cutting down high blood pressure as well try some in a tuna sandwich, chicken salad along with some sliced almonds and a little sesame seed oil (just enough to enhance the flavor)and ham salad too.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Baked bean bread ----- heck, that would even surprise my friends!! I may have to experiment one of these days....

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Make it yourself!! I cooked when I still lived at home...... When I moved out, I didn't have to rely on Top Ramen and Mickey D's. Lots cheaper and tastes lots better!!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Baked bean bread ----- heck, that would even surprise my friends!! I may have to experiment one of these days....
It's really easy to do, just take a standard can of baked beans in tomato sauce and add it into the rest of the ingredients. The only thing to watch is adjusting the quantity of the other liquids used (water, vege oil & etc) to allow for the tomato sauce. Rising times and baking times don't seem to be affected by the addition of baked beans and like I said above it makes a nice savoury loaf.