How to make some serious bread!

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I'm making Bread now (Old Fashion white)

Went to Famous Dave's BBQ for my Birthday I had 1/2 slab of ribs, smoked brisket, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Corn Bread, Pickles
and Ice Cold Tea Boy! you wanna talk about belly buster, I was so full I thought the stiches were going to break. He! He! He!

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That's OK, some exercise later for that.

The Za not still started. I had some pasta and getting rest soon. To do I hope the Za tomorrow as this afternoon I kayaked 4 miles on SF Bay. No wind to much speak of. A big sail boat had a spinnaker out and had enough to overcome the ebb tide which was quite fast. I don't suspect they ran an engine as another with sails down were passing them. Full moon tonight. Ohhhhhooo!

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hawaiian Style Za using black forest ham thicker sliced and cooked a little extra in cast iron skillet. Fresh pineapple cut small and added to the topping.

I was afraid that center of thick crust on the first Za (the salami and mushroom) was going to have doughy inside crust. It was not, but I though I might do the double bake crust.

First bake the crust 1/2 way and then top and put back in the oven. I did and the Hawaiian Za that way. It has two air pockets that a very thin inside and domed a bit.

MT

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm making 'pull-a-part' rolls for a get together. However, my pan that I use to roll the dough is in the dishwasher (running now). So the pan I had to use wouldn't let my rolling pin roll the dough thin enough.

So, now I have a new 'tool' in my kitchen arsenal --- I just floured up a can of pork and beans and used that as my rolling pin......worked superbly!!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Making some French baguettes this morning. Also doing a lasagna from scratch and grilling some ribeye steaks. Gotta have a garden salad with this......

Y'all come on over!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The triangle shaped turnovers are strawberry and the log shape turnovers are blackberry.

I really like using the stone. Heat to 500 degree F the oven and let it absorb the heat for 15 min then down to 425 F and slide from peel to stone with rice flour to keep from sticking. It does not burn and taste off flavor as corn meal seems to do.

It seemed like just 15 to 20 minutes to bake these size turnovers.

Just a regular pizza dough but added a sprinkle of sugar inside and on top to add to the fresh fruit flavor.

MT

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yha! you own a restaurant don't you, Geese I even like the plate in #163
Hand me down plates, I guess there nice. I did once work in a pastry shop, but there I did mostly forming cannoli and frying them. I'm an Electonic Tech by trade and work is not like it was back in the 80's. Maybe my own bakery is it?!

MT

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Man! 17 18 pages!
This is probably the biggest thread I ever authored, EVER!

Haven't been making bread lately, dumb reason; was waiting for yeast to go on sale, then got a job, then my mind totally went off the bread.

I have to make beer too.

What is happening to independent me?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I find it in the Smart & Final store or any of the big stores in 1lb or larger in the vacuum packed bag for cheap. I'd never be buying the envelopes, but the small jars they are also better cost. I can vacuum reseal 4/5 the package and put in the freezer if I expect I'm otherwise going to not use up quickly.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The jars are also useful for a container to store liquid flux I had for years and the top plastic cap cracked. I'm so glad I was doing some soldering fixing up and old gas run electric generator, so I found out about the problem before it became one big mess. I'll re-label it so it does not go into my next loaf.

As for another source of the fresh yeast way too expensive in the little cubes wrapped in foil in the refrigerator section of the supermarket, try this. I work in a bakery and maybe just because I was an employee I got to buy at cost, I think it were 50 cents or maybe it was $1.50 for a brick weighing about three pounds of Budweiser Yeast. There is so much extra yeast in brewing at the end, that only a little do the brewers save. If it is formed into these bricks and they get some money back rather than waste, I suppose that is why there is this product. Just you have to probably have a good rapport with a bakery or pizza parlor to have them sell you some.

MT

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
After about 4 years of making bread, I've finally gotten to the stage that I don't have to measure any of the ingredients and the dough comes together as it should. Saves on a couple of spoons and measuring cups going to the wash. Feels like I've reached "Bread Jedi" status! :D

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I must have Jedi skills......this batch was so light & fluffy, I really had to concentrate to keep the loaves from floating off the cooling rack!! Clouds in a crust...............

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Oh! kinda like the potato bread with cheddar cheese on top OH! So Good for tomorrows picnic Why? is it you always get me baking stuff, yer contagious dude LOL!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Oh! kinda like the potato bread with cheddar cheese on top OH! So Good for tomorrows picnic Why? is it you always get me baking stuff, yer contagious dude LOL!

They'll be outa the oven in about 5 minutes...........you're welcome to drop by and get a few!