How fast can your 80cc really go?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

iHarvey

did 22 @ 2/3 throttle using an in town radar and about a 50ft start.

hit 72 mph down a monster hill, clocked it with my buddys civic. lemme say even tho my entire front end and brake system is downhill equip i still got major brake fade. not trying that again.

after break in ill try a nice flat and have my friend chase and clock

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Pops can I qoate that or just use that I like it at the bottom of my jibberish!!! Push the envelope and kiss the devil

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im happy cruising at 20-25mph and to go to the store and stuff.
if i wanted to do double that,i wouldnt want to do it on a bicycle.

max speed 28-32mph 26" bike 44t sprocket 48cc engine

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
Bigger Better Faster More !!!
i"m just cruizing around about 19 to 20 mph i have 20in rim by 41/2 tire i am about 250 so it moves just fine around town the bike is pretty long too i have 36 tooth on it maybe later getting a smaller one thinking about a 28 or a 27 tooth got any ideals i am always open for any thoughts late the williusflg

Apr 24, 2009
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Well my 50cc 44 tooth RAW engine has got up to 30 on a slight downhill, but it comfortably cruises at around 22-23. I have put over 100 miles on it now and it is just getting better.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Remember this size is marketed at 80 cc but actually only 66cc.

I hope to get a speedometer soon- the round kind I had as a kid-

but after years of racing, my own setup- a Micargi multi-speed cruiser with standard kit (44 tooth sprocket) seems to be topping out at about 30, or maybe just a bit faster-

And it seems to be a function of RPM and not power- that is to say limited mostly by the sproket size- the motor has great accelleration, but spins out then-

But alas, I'm also still breaking in and now thinning mixture, after mixing too thick- it wasn't "popping" like it had, but now back normal- or better.

I'm probably going to tinker w/ sprockets a little bit, and maybe get a 36 or 40- There are steep hills here though- the bike bogs down a little going up, but clears them fine-

I'm about 200 lbs.

But, as I wrote in a report on Spooky Tooth, I just want to say that the hub on this Marcargi criser- a multi-speed steel hub, accepts the standard kit sprocket PERFECTLY-
Like it is built with this purpose as an option.
(Don't know about their coaster hub)

The hole diameter is EXACT and there's a stop ridge on the hub that aligns the sprocket and motor perfectly- I don't use a chain tensioner at all- and I only have to use the rubber spacer on the outside. Chrome side is OUT. Don't just follow instructions- LOOK at the thing!

and I might even try a new motor sprocket and regular bicycle chain to lower weight and facilitate changing setups-

A derailleur that works in reverse would be great! Even just two cogs.

I'd also like to try centrifugal clutch- had one on a Rupp mini-bike 40 years ago, and it worked great. I think the greatest danger here is killing the motor and having it lock up while slowing or stopping- It wants to throw you- so ALWAYS clutch in then

Other than that- I find the bars vibrate quite a bit at about thirty, and the cruiser moon bar angle hard to hold- I just took delivery and I'm installing ape hangers for perpendicular grip, and trying to get a suspension shock MTN bike fork to fit (Don't care for cruiser springs)-

because the bike starts hitting any road holes a lot harder as speed goes up-

I already have a 25.4 mm (1 inch) suspension seat post, which helps a lot

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
But then, I agree w/goat herder-

No great need for speed- I wish mine was quieter-- I call it my Novi....

I got the multi-speed for pedal assist, but find I'm not using that much- maybe a freewhhel and single cog would reduce weight-

I would like to disengage the motorcycle chain completely- regular cycling isn't the same- but it rolls pretty good in light gears- less than 20 pounds extra- just to much rolling resistence from motor chain and sprocket for this aged cyclist.

Status
Not open for further replies.