Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Them are KOOOOL! I like them...........Curt
Yes, they are KOOL, Curt. Always been a fan of fishtail exhausts. Love the look of vintage/veteran race bikes/cars fitted with over-sized Brooklands 'cans' similar to these. Now that I've seen them in the flesh, I'll definitely be going with a pair of them on my DeFlyer.

Reactions: indian22

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Finished up silver soldering the steel reinforcing gussets to the frame. At this stage, the frame is still able to be separated into two halves where it was lengthened 1-3/8". For convenience of dis-assembly, I think I'm going to leave it this way and instead of welding it up solid, I'll drill/bolt it together using reinforcing plates either side of the join. Should be plenty strong enough given there are substantial tubular steel slugs inside the frame where it's been lengthened.
Next stage is to get the 125cc motor bolted into the frame via its front and upper mounts. Then I can use card to mock-up the steel cradle that will include the rear engine mount which will be slung under the motor and bolt-up to the lower holes in the front engine mount, providing substantial stiffening of the frame once the cradle is firmly attached to the bottom bracket.
DSCN4072 (2).JPG
DSCN4074 (2).JPG
DSCN4075.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Running a channel way through the battery box would chill the battery, keeping it cool when drawing large current for like say, arc lamp head light?
No worries, MT. Battery box I built has louvred vents either end. And to eliminate the risk of overheating inside the headlight shell - where it's crammed full of multi-pin connectors - I've swapped-out the headlights original bulb for an LED version.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
She's a roller - with motor in frame - for the first time. Just checked the chain line with a straight edge and it's spot on - but I'll have to fab an idler sprocket to steer the lower chain run so it avoids contact with the chain stay. Easy peasy. With the battery box installed, I've shelved the carb's longer velocity stack. The good news is OORacing have come up trumps with an alternative. I've just ordered their shorter 34mm velocity stack which fits the available space perfectly.

DSCN4082 (2).JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Couldn't resist seeing what those alternative wide, pull-back bars with inverted levers and longer front brake cable look like when swapped out. Bike takes on a whole different persona with these bars. God forbid I start contemplating adding a rear rack! Love both the ACE's dropped board track style handlebars and these pull-back roadster style bars, but the pull backs will make things more comfy on longer rides for sure. Wasn't too thrilled about the big speedo after its purchase - but It's grown on me a lot since and I think its look with these bars is perfectly period. Speedo's mounting clamps doubled-up as a convenient place to bolt the regulator/rectifier. New shorter velocity stack for the carb arrived earlier this morning, so it's now installed. Fits the available space a treat. Local art store came up trumps today with some suitable card for me to begin mocking-up the engine's lower cradle. Following my unenforced lethargy since Christmas (nothing more than January blues...) time to get back up to speed on the ACE build.

DSCN4093.JPG
DSCN4094.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You & the forum regulars know my preferences well, yet here's where I ante in. I love the bars, not just for utility either. They also look great as does the speedo. Early road bikes had large headlamps and speedo too. As to rear racks they were common in early days and have continued to this day. If you were creating a perfect replica board bike then minimalist is quite correct, for a period road rider anything goes, mix and match to hearts content with period style touches.

Many originals display combinations of race look with practical daily use accoutrements like headlamp, bars, rack etc mixed with Messinger board track saddle, fenderless fork or sans fenders period, small tanks... Racing influenced the sales of brands which won and, like today, many purchased various accessories used on or which were ommited on factory race bikes. We've observed the post war "Bobber" bikes thrive in various forms for decades now. I'd suggest there was no correct way to accessorize a bike from the factory or customize by the owner. In the "spirit of" continues and greatly enhances ones liberty to build and enjoy the results. Self expression was and is fundamental to those who fabricate one offs, if not just buy a cookie cutter bike from whoever and slap a motor in her.

I like your Ace...

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
True to his word, Czech leather craftsman Tomas Adamek of leathermotorcyclesseats.cz has kept me up to speed with progress pics as the leather Mesinger board tracker saddle he's making for me takes shape. Received several updates yesterday and today as the seat's construction reached the sewing and colouring stages. Via Tom's photo and video updates, I was able to have a say in when he'd achieved just the right amount of patina. The finished result is a masterpiece in leather. Superb customer service.
IMG_20220103_141622.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
True to his word, Czech leather craftsman Tomas Adamek of leathermotorcyclesseats.cz has kept me up to speed with progress pics as the leather Mesinger board tracker saddle he's making for me takes shape. Received several updates yesterday and today as the seat's construction reached the sewing and colouring stages. Via Tom's photo and video updates, I was able to have a say in when he'd achieved just the right amount of patina. The finished result is a masterpiece in leather. Superb customer service. View attachment 109699
Yeah buddy that's a keeper!

Reactions: fasteddy

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
That is a beautiful saddle Pete! How will it be mounted?

Tom
Saddle features 3 x bolts on the underside to accept a nose bracket and a pair of uprights to secure it to the seat stays. Planning on being able to swap-out this boardtrack saddle and the sprung Lepper Primus saddle on my ACE depending on which handlebars - dropped boardie or pull-back roadster - are fitted.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Just saw the news that petrol prices here in the UK have hit an all time high of UK£1.60 per litre. You read that right. That translates to US$2.17 / litre. Or to put it another way, UK£81 to fill up an average family saloon car. I'm guessing the US would grind to halt faced with those kind of figures. Or civil war would break out. Good job I've virtually had no need to use my Citroen DS5 these last couple of years. Car is due its annual MOT test next month and I've only put another 48 miles on its clock since last year's test - all of those taking it for a spin to keep the battery charged. I'm still using the last 40 quid fill-up I put in the tank back in 2020. Price was just over UK£1 per litre back then. This latest all time high price will be crippling for many. Won't much make a difference to my li'l Indian China Girl which I've just resurrected from 3 years storage.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Fuel prices take ones breath away! It's great to hear you've limited miles on 4 wheels, but sad that public policy was involved in limiting your driving Pete. I parked and then sold all my vehicles shortly after my heath deteriorated, my business sold just prior to that. My choice to regain my health proactively rather than through meds and surgery. Now that my health has been recovered I want to maintain it so I choose not to drive. My bikes are my only transport. The cost of my bikes have been more than paid for by eliminating my 4 wheel transport expense.

People ask why I pedal on my bikes when they are equipped with motors. Simple answer...to save my life! I now have zero medical expense no surgeries were required and I take no prescription or over the counter drugs legal or illegal. Zero medical expense for doctors. Yearly checkups only and they are paid for through insurance.... and I've a clean bill of health!

Pete I made choices on my own and so have you and I applaud your decisions, not just on parking the car, but your family decisions etc. which you've shared on the forum. Good on you!

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Seems like your love of bikes has integrated perfectly into your new lifestyle Rick. Life sounds good.
Because of the limitations imposed by Jen's health care requirements and Covid restrictions, I'm just about at the point where I'm considering car ownership unnecessary. Supermarket where I do our shopping is only a short walk away in one direction and the town centre even closer in the opposite direction. Venturing to either was the only thing I used to use the car for since relocating to Alnwick. Popping out to do the shopping or heading into town for Jen's prescription meds are virtually the only times I leave the house, so the walk is something I enjoy and consider essential.