Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
CALLING ALL BIKE BUILDERS.
Regarding the spun aluminium domed tank ends I mentioned in my previous post, I just heard back from the local metal spinning outfit and they can make anything, any-size ..... provided a specific form tool is to hand. That pair of domed tank ends I'm after are to fit a tank diameter of 4-1/2" (414.5mm), so a form tool needs to be fabbed. Cost is within my budget, but it's a real shame to go to the trouble of making tooling just for a single pair of tank ends. Sooooo.....I'm wondering if anyone out there fancies building themselves a similar tank (could be any length, depending on the tubular aluminium tank body) and would like to purchase the pair of domed ends needed to make such an in-frame tank a reality. Message me if interested.
spun dome.jpg

red vee twin.jpg

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That looks interesting Pete. I wonder if they can spin a set in brass. I send you a message. I have one more project I'd like to do.

I watched a Wheeler Dealers show when they visited a metal spinning company in the U.K. that replicated vintage wheel covers. Showed it from start to finish and it was fascinating to watch all the various steps. The price was very reasonable for the work involved.

Just going out to the garage to try and finish up the manifold and carb for the Epic Tri Car. Ran a fresh #80 grit sanding disk into the side of my thumb a little over a week ago sanding the intake manifold. Looked at the sanding disk and thought that I'd better pull on a welding glove since the skimpy pair of gloves I was wearing didn't look like much of a match for it.

Went back for another touch up of an offending spot and the disk went through the gloves like they weren't there.

Steve.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Steve,
Saw the same Wheeler Dealers episode just recently. Metal spinning is an art. The experts tend to make it look easy. Plenty YouTube vids which do exactly that.
If you are interested in a pair of domed brass tank ends I'm pretty certain that could be arranged. Colin, the guy from the Metal Spinners I spoke with earlier today already said they can spin any type of metal once the tool has been made. The price Colin quoted me was for generating the tooling and supplying ONE pair of the spun aluminium tank ends. I'll speak with him tomorrow and ask for a price per additional pair in brass. I'll PM you.

Careful with that grinder, Steve. (Wasn't there a rock album called something like that? 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene')
Still got all your digits intact...?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Pete,

Every digit is in place fortunately but one has a a sizable divot out of it. Fortunately missed any tendons but the blood thinners made it even more unpleasant.

I couldn't imagine the cost of having them made here, if you could find someone to do a small order like that. Part of the problem of living in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Before I bought our sandblasting set up I was quoted $275 dollars to sandblast a bike frame and two fenders. They weren't interested otherwise and barely interested at that price.

Steve.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
WHIPPING UP SOMETHING A LITTLE SPECIAL IN THE KITCHEN...
Latest build is finally taking shape. Frame has required a fair bit of modification to fit-in with my plans for this build. Managed to measure-up and dice the Chinese frame into three pieces before slightly extending it by 1-3/8" to accommodate the Skyteam 125 motor. Pics show the frame and motor laid over onto their side with the sleeved tubular joints loosely in place.
Having previously spread the rear drop-outs from 170mm to 190mm, next job was to cut off 3/4" from the bottom of the frame's steer tube so the steerer on the vintage girder forks I'm using on this build would fit. Steer tube also needed 1-1/8" to 1" reducing bushes.
Pics are arrowed to show the locations of the tubular inserts. The lower 'loop' part of the frame was cut at the apex of the loop and the forward piece of the loop reversed to create the slightly extended frame section required.
Frame was drilled to accept 16mm dia., steel tubes to which the front and upper motor mounts are bolted. Just need to have the frame's rear motor mounts, and frame gussets profile cut to shape before I braze everything up. Note that the motor acts as a stressed member.
Aluminium tank is taking shape. Tank's main body has been drilled to accept the cnc'd alloy filler neck. Found a local metal spinning company who've agreed to make the pair of domed ends needed for this project. Been told work on these will commence after the New Year.
DSCN3827.JPG
DSCN3830_LI (2).jpg
DSCN3830_LI.jpg
DSCN3836_LI.jpg
DSCN3838_LI.jpg
DSCN3839.JPG

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Forks on this build will also require substantial reworking. A glance at the pics here will reveal the axle hole on the forks is a lot lower than the axle hole in the rear dropouts. (The grout lines on the floor help when vizualizing this). I'm using brand new Honda drum-braked 18" wheels front and rear, and with these in place, the bike takes on a pronounced nose up attitude and I need the frame's top tubes and tank to sit level. Don't want to have to try and overcome this by using big and little tyres, 'cause the look I prefer - and the style of most board-trackers - is to sport tyres the same dia. front and back. Or as close to as possible.
I've mocked-up the frame/wheels/tyres and already know I'm going to have to chop off some material from the foot of the fork legs and provide new axle slots higher up. How much I'll chop will depend on which front tyre I opt to fit. I've played around with three different tyres I have here; the pair of 18" original tyres that came with my Honda Solo, and a new 18x3.00 BSA Bushman tyre (which I purchased for this project and is my preferred choice). However, initial trials with the Bushman tyre look like I may run into clearance problems after relocating the axle slots higher up the fork legs. This tyre may not clear the lower spring mount on the forks. At least I have the luxury of options. When all is decided, I'll then have to fab and mount some sort of brace to the inside of the left fork leg which will engage into the cast-on slot in the drum brake's faceplate. No biggie, that one.
DSCN3841 (2).JPG
DSCN3842 (2).JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for asking Tom.
Jen is still hanging on in there, bless her. I spend the best part of each day trying to tempt her with little morsels of this 'n that without much take-up of what's been offered. Truth is, those 300 cal. Fortisip milkshake-like drinks are now virtually all she's accepting without protest. That's been the case for several weeks now. I don't weigh her anymore. No point really, when nothing I could do will change things. It's scarily obvious Jen's body mass has all but vanished and all that's left is skin and bone. I'm doing everything I can to get her to eat when she's sat next to me on the sofa, but when 95% of it ends up in the bin it gets disheartening. I know the day will come when even the Fortisip drinks will be refused so best not to think that far ahead. Just so pleased we'll get to spend one more Christmas together.